Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 04:00 PM

15 posts, read 35,841 times

Advertisements

My budget is kind of low, since I'm out of work right now. Can you sleep in your car at highway rest areas to save money on hotels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 04:14 PM

587 posts, read 916,110 times
It really depends on the state. Most are posted so you can't sleep there. In my experience, locating free places to sleep means that you spend more in gas than a campsite would cost.

You can get an unlimited Greyhound bus pass based on your budget. You can sleep on the bus (sort of). I traveled the country a lot that way when I was young.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:00 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
If you're enough of an extrovert that the company wouldn't drive you nuts, there's the couchsurfing option:

https://www.couchsurfing.com/

It's the kind of scenario that would drive me nuts, so I supplement my hard cash travel budget with hotel & airline gift cards & points from assorted survey and get-paid-to programs, but it takes time to build up that stash.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Better to sleep in the car at a rest area than to fall asleep at the wheel. I often drive from here in WA to CA and sometimes if leaving in the evening will catch two hours at a rest area near Shasta. I really don't think anyone would are or even notice. You might also try the Walmart Parking lots, near the motor homes already there.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:50 PM

503 posts, read 1,204,997 times
There's no way I would sleep in my car in a highway rest area. Too many nuts out there much too dangerous. Basketball great Michael Jordans father was murdered in a highway rest stop. He pulled in to get some sleep and woke while being robbed. He was shot to death. Motel 6 is much safer....

Old 12-21-2014, 06:57 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb8251 View Post
Can you sleep in your car at highway rest areas to save money on hotels?
In most states and in most rest areas.
Specifics vary.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:31 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Rest areas are what rest areas are for. Temporary resting, not camping. I've traveled across country, stopped at rest areas for an hour or 2 then moved on until getting tired again. A few times rested in a shopping mall or WalMart center in a safe area.
It can be done but be aware of your surroundings. Weather makes a difference too. I'd only do it during warm weather periods.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:32 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,417,747 times
It is best to pull into an actual hotel and sleep in the parking lot, a Walmart, or even a busy type truck stop.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:19 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Rest areas are what rest areas are for.
Temporary resting, not camping.
Who said anything about camping?

Quote:
I've traveled across country, stopped at rest areas for an hour or 2 then moved on
Good for you. Others will sleep in them.

FWIW I've done a LOT of time on the road. At one point I spent three solid years traveling
between jobs and circumnavigated the US several times doing so out of a small wagon.

No one in their right mind would want to do it every night but for the night or two
it takes to drive between stop points... do so in peace.

In addition to a night in a secure lot you have restrooms and even "family" restrooms
in the newer facilities nice where you can wash up with more privacy ...and warm water.
And there is the free WIFI and the odd electric outlet to plug in a coffee maker too.

After you've washed and shaved and changed your drawers ...have a peaceful nights sleep.
In the morning get dressed and make your coffee... and then get on with your day.
Or go to one of the picnic tables, set up your camp stove and start cooking breakfast.
You do have a cooler with some food in it after all.

mmm bacon or sausage with potato/onion fry up and eggs over easy sound good?
Share it. It's a great way to start conversation with other travelers too.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:00 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David223 View Post
There's no way I would sleep in my car in a highway rest area. Too many nuts out there much too dangerous. Basketball great Michael Jordans father was murdered in a highway rest stop. He pulled in to get some sleep and woke while being robbed. He was shot to death. Motel 6 is much safer....
Florida has armed guards on the overnight shift at their rest areas. The flip side is that those guards can also enforce the three hour limit on stops at them- a nap for safety purposes when you're having trouble staying awake at the wheel is generally okay with them but they don't want overnighters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel