Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 11:16 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times

Advertisements

If you want to hear about the ultimate gutsy trip, read "The Places In Between" by Rory Stewart.

He walked across Afghanistan, alone, in winter, right after the US chased the Taliban out of power (but they were really just hiding in all the villages).

When he entered the country, the Afghan visa official told him in no uncertain terms - "You are going to die, you realize this? There is no way you will survive this trip". But he did (barely). It is an amazing story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 11:30 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
North Korea.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:16 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
If you want to hear about the ultimate gutsy trip, read "The Places In Between" by Rory Stewart.

He walked across Afghanistan, alone, in winter, right after the US chased the Taliban out of power (but they were really just hiding in all the villages).

When he entered the country, the Afghan visa official told him in no uncertain terms - "You are going to die, you realize this? There is no way you will survive this trip". But he did (barely). It is an amazing story.
I just read that book! Now that would take more than guts to pull that one off! And put up with those harsh conditions and lack of food!

I've always been tempted to do Vietnam, but after reading Catfish and Mandala by Andrew X. Pham, that saved me a trip over there!

Old 05-09-2014, 07:46 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Fly to Delhi. Buy a motorcycle. Drive to Cambodia.

LOTS of guts required.
  1. Driving a motorcycle on Indian roads? Holy crap
  2. Drive through Burma?
  3. Drive through Bangladesh?
  4. I think the Secretary of State still has a travel advisory for Cambodia...

Old 05-09-2014, 07:53 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I just read that book! Now that would take more than guts to pull that one off! And put up with those harsh conditions and lack of food!

Well, there is a bit more to the Rory Stewart story than that book shows. He wasn't a random guy or even just a well connected guy going for an adventure... I won't say more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
  1. I think the Secretary of State still has a travel advisory for Cambodia...

They have advisories for almost everywhere. Cambodia is perfectly fine.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:36 PM

23,513 posts, read 23,986,796 times
1/Cuba
2/North Africa
3/Take flights around the world: SFO-LHR-HKG-SFO (stay in LHR and HKG for about a week each)
4/Guam

Old 05-09-2014, 11:11 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Fly to Delhi. Buy a motorcycle. Drive to Cambodia.

LOTS of guts required.
  1. Driving a motorcycle on Indian roads? Holy crap
  2. Drive through Burma?
  3. Drive through Bangladesh?
  4. I think the Secretary of State still has a travel advisory for Cambodia...
The third day we were in Cambodia we hopped in a tuk-tuk and immediately came to a commotion in the road. A guy was lying there in the road, dead. His motorcycle wrecked to one side. The car that smashed him was pulled over to one side. Our driver nonchalantly maneuvered around the dead guy in the road as if it was normal traffic stuff.

Motorcycles and scooters are everywhere in SE Asia. I saw whole families on a single motorcycle - dad driving, son on his lap, mother behind him with baby in her arms. It was not uncommon to see a guy driving a scooter in traffic with one hand while texting with the other. People drive on the wrong side of the road when it suits them.

Traffic in Asia is nuts. Motorcycle traffic is double nuts.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:23 AM

3,884 posts, read 4,534,690 times
Default A little timid by nature...

I have to admit I have no yearning for lands that are warned against by the state department.
Beheading, Clitoridectomy, and open defecation cultures I'd like to avoid.

That category aside, even in first world countries, I like measured "adventures". Don't want to bungee jump, or climb Mount Everest, (or even mountain climb... but I'm up for a good hike on good paths. )

There is however something that sounds very adventurous (for me) and does intrigue, and that is going to the north of Finland to see a reindeer farm, experience a dog sled and especially cruise on that crazy Sampo icebreaker, and float around in that crazy suit in arctic ice water! That looks amazing!
But to actually do that, I'd have to roust up some courage. It's so far away, and cold and maybe being somewhat asthmatic the thought of not having an urgent care nearby, (although my asthma never gets bad unless I'm sick and I'd just have to cancel if I was sick... see, I'm already trying to talk myself into it!)

Cheers!

Old 05-11-2014, 03:47 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
There is however something that sounds very adventurous (for me) and does intrigue, and that is going to the north of Finland to see a reindeer farm, experience a dog sled and especially cruise on that crazy Sampo icebreaker, and float around in that crazy suit in arctic ice water! That looks amazing!
But to actually do that, I'd have to roust up some courage. It's so far away, and cold and maybe being somewhat asthmatic the thought of not having an urgent care nearby, (although my asthma never gets bad unless I'm sick and I'd just have to cancel if I was sick... see, I'm already trying to talk myself into it!)
Well if you are actually planning to go, I would strongly suggest March. The temps have recovered by then and daytime highs are usually in the mid-upper 20's F in mid March. I don't know where you live, but I think those daytime temps are quite bearable even for an asthmatic. By mid April the temps might be already in the mid 40's F in southern Lapland, so then you're up for a slushy mess and the winter tourist starts to be over. Lapland gets a lot of tourists who aren't accustomed with cold temperatures, so I'm sure they would take good care of you.

For me, western Africa would be the "gut" destination. Ivory Coast, Senegal, Ghana and so on. Would take a lot of careful planning and a lot of money, but that would be a marvellous experience.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:16 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
i'm about to do it actually. I'm going to get an Iranian visa on my non-US passport and fly from UAE into Tehran and do some exploring. Take a picture by the old US Embassy.
Since "guts" isn't my problem ("wallet" is...) this would be my choice as well. I'd love to see Persepolis, Shiraz, and Tehran of course. Such a beautiful country from what I can tell. I'm hoping someday before I die tensions will thaw enough for the average citizen to be able to visit there without restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel