Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 06:01 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I hope they do it. If anyone can, the Chinese can.
Well the American transcontinental railroad was built by Chinese workers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Well the American transcontinental railroad was built by Chinese workers!
US honors Chinese who built Transcontinental Railroad|Across Americas|chinadaily.com.cn

Old 05-12-2014, 08:24 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
I have been to China twice and I think their high speed trains are great. A high speed train connection between Asia and North America would be great. But I would prefer a high speed train network within the USA first.
We have one... it is called discount airlines.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
We have one... it is called discount airlines.
With discount airlines one still has hassles of airport security, having to arrive at the airport way in advance of one's flight and quite often being outside of city center. In China too they have domestic airlines where one can purchase one way tickets (with no penalty like in the USA) and these domestic airlines had to become more competitive in their prices once there was the option for travelers to use the high speed train system.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:40 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
You have obviously never taken the train up/down California where the scenery changes often and sections of the train tracks are close enough to the shore that if the train stopped, one could jump into the Pacific Ocean.
You obviously do not know anything about me, or apparently the trains in CA. You're thinking of the Coastal Starlight train by amtrak, right? It only hugs the coast only in a select few sections, most notably between Ventura and Vandenberg AFB, mainly in Santa Barbara county. It also goes along the east SF Bay very briefly (if that even counts) and then along Puget Sound for a bit when it gets into the greater Seattle area. The rest of the time, it's all farms, ranches, cities and some mountains. It's still really pretty, especially a the right time(s) of the year, but it's not coastal at all like you're thinking, and you're not seeing anything really different from what you'd see from the road. Besides, in the few sections you are along the coast, there's no guarantee you're going to be on the correct side of the train to see it all anyways. On the other hand, Highway 1 (aka PCH), I-5 and several streets in SD county follow the shore very closely for hundreds of miles. Also, you're free to stop whenever you want and even at $4+/gallon it's still cheaper to take a family (or even just a couple if you get good mileage) by car than by train. So I still vote 'car' if I'm going for scenery/fun or 'plane' if I'm going for speed/efficiency. The train would only be for nostalgia in which case I would just take that Santa Barbara stretch RT and then drive or fly back home.

There's also the Coaster, Amtrak and other Commuter connections between downtown SD, Orange county and LA. None of which run close enough to the actual ocean to "jump in" at any point. There's at least a couple of blocks of businesses and residents between the rail and the beach. Coastal real estate goes between $1-10 million or more just for a lot, so do you really think they're going to run a train line where people can sell a quarter acre of weeds for 3 million dollars?

Last edited by otterprods; 05-12-2014 at 10:52 AM..

Old 05-12-2014, 11:23 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Impractical without huge government subsidies, not to only construct it, but just to keep it from going bankrupt since any ticket fees will not be able to keep it in the black.
Right now just our domestic US rail system is essentially just a government subsidized program, only able to stay afloat because of millions (billions maybe) of taxpayer money.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:11 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Science fiction. There is another thread on this topic on the California forum. Our looney governor has already made plans to build A Train To Nowhere, we sure as heck do not need another.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:37 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
HA! while we're at it, how about if we fill up a giant bag with hot air and float across the ocean like a giant bird

Old 05-14-2014, 09:55 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
I'm glad citizens like the last two posters will not be calling the shots. The Chinese who by October will have the world's largest economy will have worldwide HSR in place while Americans like these are still sucking their thumbs and nay-saying. By the way, the Bering Strait portion is going to be a tunnel. Hope I live long enough to ride it.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:14 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
The plane will still beat it so whats the point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel