Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 03:18 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,446,723 times

Advertisements

Here we go.

Again.

1. The easy solution to your question is to book a hotel room for the previous night. If you have a three day visit to Paris, book four nights, not three nights, and explain to the hotel in advance when you'll be arriving. This is not unusual for people who spend a lot of money traveling.

2. Nothing in Paris is open at 9 AM? False. You can make up a better excuse. Cafes are open. Have a cup of coffee and breakfast. Museums generally open at 9 or 10. Go see one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
The last time I went to Europe (Paris) I took a non stop flight from the east coast of the US and arrived at about 7 AM. After making it through customs and immigration we took a bus to our hotel in central Paris. Both of us were sick tired. So tired we could hardly stand it. Neither my wife or I were able to sleep on the plane. (We dozed off a few times but always woke when someone would start talking or rammed into us as they walked down the aisle.)

Arriving at our hotel about 9 AM we wanted to go to bed in the worst way but they told us that our room was not available until about 4 PM. We asked to check into a room and we would pay for the previous night. The man at the desk acted like we were crazy and said that would be impossible because we would have to check out of our room at 11 AM (in two hours and check in again at 4 PM) We thought that was the craziest thing I had ever heard. But we got no where with him.

PLEASE... don't tell us that experts say we should just stay up until 10 PM Paris time because that will reset our body clock and if we nap or go to be when we arrive that will kill the rest of the trip. Sounds good in theory but you don't know how tired we were. (We just wanted to sleep maybe 4 hours that morning and then we could start our day.)

So we checked our bags and walked the streets of an empty Paris on a Sunday Morning in the cold rain. Nothing was open. By 4 PM we were almost suicidal from cold, wet and from being SO TIRED. Finally we got into our room and found it very uncomfortable with lots of traffic noise and sounds from the neighbors through the thin walls. The bed was harder than a rock.

How do you survive when you first get to Europe at 7AM and have to walk the street for 8 hours before you can get into your hotel room?

Is it all worth it?

Old 05-10-2014, 03:30 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
(1) plan my flight to arrive around 11:00 or 12:00.
(2) never book a hotel that does not allow you to check in around 1 or so.

But, if I somehow got stuck in your predicament I would probably sleep on the floor of the lobby. They would no doubt think I was a crass American but they would probably also feel motivated to get me out of their lobby.
No, they would tell you to get off the floor and sit in a lounge chair.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:13 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,292 times
So, with a sleeping pill and some alcohol I will be able to sleep on the plane during the overnight flight sitting up in economy class and arrive at Europe feeling great ready to walk the street until mid afternoon when my room is ready?

Old 05-10-2014, 05:11 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,765 times
This is no different than taking a redeye to anywhere and arriving Sunday morning. The solution is take a different flight or arrange accommodations in advance.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:34 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I agree one needs in advance to find out when the hotel check-in is and then if you want a room earlier in the day probably booking for the night before and letting the hotel you will come early the next morning is the way to go. In any case, hotels will normally allow you to leave your luggage with them so one is free to go out and find something to eat and perhaps after 9-10AM find some local attractions to visit for a while (depending on how tired one feels).

Old 05-10-2014, 07:21 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
So, with a sleeping pill and some alcohol I will be able to sleep on the plane during the overnight flight sitting up in economy class and arrive at Europe feeling great ready to walk the street until mid afternoon when my room is ready?
Why are you now even asking the question? According to numerous other posts you profess to be widely traveled and have visited Europe "many many times". Given all your alleged experience with international travel you should by now have all the answers. But then your hyperbole apparently knows no bounds as your new thread count rises.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:30 AM

688 posts, read 1,100,954 times
Not sure where you are flying from, but there are always a few non stop flights that leave the US around 10 PM (like from Dulles, JFK, Newark, etc) that arrive in Paris just before noon; by the time you get to your hotel, it may be ready, or will be ready shortly - drop your bags, go eat a leisurely lunch, and your room will be ready when you get back. So if you have to connect with an east coast US flight to Paris anyway, book one of these, even if it gives you a long layover on the east coast; splurge and get a pass to the airline club room for the day - free food, comfortable, etc.

And...I have taken non stop flights to London that leave at 9 to 10 AM and arrive around 10 PM London time; you get to your hotel around midnight, go to bed, and wake up the next morning pretty darned refreshed.

And as for your bags - in my experience, ALL hotels will hold your bags before your room is ready, so it is ridiculous for anyone to stumble around jetlagged with their bags until their hotel room is available.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:01 AM

8 posts, read 16,027 times
Sorry, but I have to say it: Don't sleep during the day! Force yourself to get through it; it WILL help your body clock adjust more quickly. You're going to be in an exciting new place, so have some coffee, take it easy, but STAY AWAKE. You're sounding like it's an all-or-nothing proposition and it isn't. Get yourself some Xanax or Valium and take it as soon as you board the plane. Even if you sleep fitfully, it's better than nothing.
Also, you DON'T have to stay up until 10 pm - 8 is fine. You DON'T have to walk the streets for 8 solid hours - like I said before, just take it easy. Eat, drink, stroll, repeat. I also strongly discourage a mid-afternoon nap once you can check into your hotel because those tend to end up being all-night sleepathons and then you're still jet-lagged when you wake up for the day at 2 a.m.
Look at it as an adventure. Once you make it through that crucial first day you'll be golden. And have a good time!

Old 05-10-2014, 08:12 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Easy. Take a different flight. I'm sure there's more than one flight from the US to Paris. They don't all arrive at 7am.

Or do like others do ... pop a xanax, put on a sleep mask, and put in some earplugs. Sleep on the plane. It's not that difficult.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:43 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclecat View Post
Sorry, but I have to say it: Don't sleep during the day! Force yourself to get through it; it WILL help your body clock adjust more quickly. You're going to be in an exciting new place, so have some coffee, take it easy, but STAY AWAKE. You're sounding like it's an all-or-nothing proposition and it isn't. Get yourself some Xanax or Valium and take it as soon as you board the plane. Even if you sleep fitfully, it's better than nothing.
Also, you DON'T have to stay up until 10 pm - 8 is fine. You DON'T have to walk the streets for 8 solid hours - like I said before, just take it easy. Eat, drink, stroll, repeat. I also strongly discourage a mid-afternoon nap once you can check into your hotel because those tend to end up being all-night sleepathons and then you're still jet-lagged when you wake up for the day at 2 a.m.
Look at it as an adventure. Once you make it through that crucial first day you'll be golden. And have a good time!
This was great advice for when I was young. After I hit 50, I need the nap. I do set the alarm so it's a short nap. Trust me, it helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel