Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 11:04 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times

Advertisements

Out of curiousity, I did a multicompany rental car search on Expedia

Pick up: Seattle Airport, August 1
Return: LAX August 11, 2014

picking three companies from the list essentially randomly and giving their price per Expedia including taxes and fees but presumed minus the usual extortion attempt that is the CDW (get an AMEX card, and use their supplemental $25 per rental option instead)

Midsize- Hertz $1204; Enterprise $1206; Avis $1206
Full size- Hertz $1275; Enterprise $1279; Avis $1279
Premium- Hertz $1495; Enterprise $1416; Avis $1498
Convertible- Hertz $1883; NA; NA
Luxury- Hertz $1883; Enterprise $2922; Avis N/A

So some definite prices differences, but not 'five to ten times higher'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 05:02 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Out of curiousity, I did a multicompany rental car search on Expedia

Pick up: Seattle Airport, August 1
Return: LAX August 11, 2014

picking three companies from the list essentially randomly and giving their price per Expedia including taxes and fees but presumed minus the usual extortion attempt that is the CDW (get an AMEX card, and use their supplemental $25 per rental option instead)

Midsize- Hertz $1204; Enterprise $1206; Avis $1206
Full size- Hertz $1275; Enterprise $1279; Avis $1279
Premium- Hertz $1495; Enterprise $1416; Avis $1498
Convertible- Hertz $1883; NA; NA
Luxury- Hertz $1883; Enterprise $2922; Avis N/A

So some definite prices differences, but not 'five to ten times higher'
He wasn't talking about a luxury car, but rather what they would classify as an exotic--a BMW rag top.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:38 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
I've always wanted to go on a cross country road trip. Or at least partial cross-country. Unfortunately, there's no way my wife and I can get weeks off of work to do this. But I still want the experience. We live in Michigan and would like to go to California (LA, probably) and then come back.

Has anyone done a partial trip? Flying halfway, skipping over states like Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, etc., and getting a rental car and finishing the trip? Residents of those states, don't be offended. I still want to experience them, but I've got to make some cuts.

I was thinking maybe flying to Colorado, then driving to California from there?

Is this a good idea? Anyone ever done it like this?

Also, Mapquest shows that it's a 16 hour drive from Denver to LA, but I don't know if Mapquest calculates mountains and such, or if it is more "as the bird flies." Anyone have a more accurate idea of how long that drive is?
If you take turns driving, you can make the trip one-way in 2 days --- but yes, you can do partial trips.

You might even want to just fly to California and then consider taking the train that runs along the coast and you can get off it, check out a town and then get back on it.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
I drive cross country at least once a year -- if money is a factor, its a whole lot cheaper in your own car and camping out -- if you stop at state parks to camp out in some of those states people think are fly over country, you can see some pretty nice scenery and get some of the history of those states.

If you have 2 weeks for a cross country trip, you can easily make it all the way to California but also see a lot of what's in between. Going from Michigan to California, you can easily be out of the Midwest in a day and be out West before you pull over for the night. Driving through the night is a good way to get through some of the scenery you don't want to see.

You could drive for a day and be in Denver and then travel more leisurely from then on. Two weeks is quite a lot of time to check out some of the major sights and also relax.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:51 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,971,758 times
Wow. I haven't been back on travel in a few days, I see. Some one's picking on my words.

To the person picking on my post. ANNWACK
You do realize that, we all have different experience in life right?
You do realize that we all make different amount in salary right?
So you realize, whether a person is rich or poor, if they have the means or/and desire, they can spend there money any ways they want. Right?

You even went out of your way to change your quote, your not involve in real estate so you have no agenda?
Really? You think I am gonna put a gun to your head and make you buy real estate in houston?
Really? Where on any of my post have I mention real estate. Look up all my post. You got time.

Back to the post. I don't see any one mentioning a budget. I don't see anyone mention. Lets save a buck.
All I see are people recommending fly here, pick up a rental. Fly there pick up a rental.
Hey don't take this route. Take this other route.
So I throw out my ideas for a good road trip.

I lived in SoCal well over 15 years. I have driven up and down the west coast. All the way to B.C..

Yeah I suggested a mustang convertible with a V8. new V8s gets good mpg. About high 20mpg. we re not talking about 1975 here. Luggage space? What is this? The griswald? Get a wagon.
If you cant afford a v8. You can get a V6 with 300hp. If you are want to experience real wind in your hair.

Who the hell want to drive a 4 banger, up and down the mountains? Unless your old and want to save every penny with 40miles to the gallon.
Being stuck behind a slow ass driver because u can't pass them in a 4 banger is a torture.

Yeah I mention a bmw. You know why? Because. I can.
Bmw ragtop is consider an exotic?? Where do u live? What era are you in?

This is a forum, made to express opinions and suggestions.
Stop picking on my words. Why are you in my business's? You sit around all day to pick on people's post? What do u know about people doing anything they want because they can
What do you know about people choosing to spend money to experience road trips?.

That was my suggestion for the best road trip.

If Op had mention. Hey we want a road trip on a budget. I would have tell them, get a prius to maximize your savings. Take the shortest route possible. Don't rent a car. Hey. Use AAA for discount on hotel stay. I didn't see any of that.

Whoever you are, stay out of my way when I get to Florida. You should stay off I-95,275 and beeline 528..

That's right, I know Florida too.

I jus came to a conclusion you know nothing about people or life.

Last edited by Chris V; 06-15-2014 at 12:09 PM..

Old 06-15-2014, 11:56 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Wow. I haven't back on travel in a few days, I see. Some one's picking on my words.

To the person picking on my post.
You do realize that, we all have different experience in life right?
You do realize that we all make different amount in salary right?
So you realize, whether a person is rich or poor, if they have the means and desire, they can spend there money any ways they want. Right?

Back to the post. I don't see any one mentioning a budget. I don't see anyone mention. Lets save a buck.
All I see are people recommending fly here, pick up a rental. Fly there pick up a rental.
Hey don't take this route. Take this other route.
So I throw out my ideas for a good road trip.

I lived in SoCal well over 15 years. I have driven up and down the west coast. All the way to B.C..

Yeah I suggested a mustang convertible with a V8. new V8s gets good mpg. About high 20mpg. we re not talking about 1975 here. Luggage space? What is this? The griswald? Get a wagon.
If you cant afford a v8. You can get a V6 with 300hp. If you are want to experience real wind in your hair.

Who the hell want to drive a 4 banger, up and down the mountains with curves? Unless your old and want to save every penny with 40miles to the gallon.

Yeah I mention a bmw. You know why? Because. I can.
Bmw ragtop is consider an exotic?? Where do u live? What era are you in?
For the car rental companies, they are. That's specifically what I was referring to. I mentioned the luggage space as many people don't realize that when you have a convertible, you lose all your trunk space.

Quote:
This is a forum, made to express opinions and suggestions.
Stop picking on my words.

That was my suggestion for the best road trip.

If Op had mention. Hey we want a road trip on a budget. I would have tell them, get a prius to maximize your savings.

Whoever you are, stay out of my way when I get to Florida. You should stay off I-95.
That's right, I know Florida too.
By the time you pay the upcharge to rent what they consider a "specialty car" you don't end up saving anything with a Prius over something like a Chevy Cruze.

If you think I-95 is the only road in Florida,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel