Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 08:59 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times

Advertisements

49. Never been to Alaska.

Been to 19 foreign countries, also.

Mostly business, but some military, some vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 09:06 AM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
52, the last 2 being the state of confusion and the state of euphoria.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:52 AM

490 posts, read 682,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Well, I'm now in North Dakota and I really like it!! I've now visited 49 states of 50 states in the USA (my home). Florida, Maine, Michigan, Louisiana, California, Montana, South Carolina, yes yes yes yes yes and yes. Yep, been to Alaska, twice. Hawaii is now the last one remaining state on my list. Maybe I'll make it there for my honeymoon if I get lucky, lol. How many states have you been to?
You're now ahead of me by 1. I've been in them all except Alaska & Hawaii.

I don't care if I never get to Hawaii but I'd love to see Alaska one day.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:55 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
50 + DC but my recollection of Michigan and Rhode Island is very hazy so those may demand a re-visit to really count.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:27 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
49, all but Alaska but, I don't count that as a state, so I've been to all of them

Old 05-23-2014, 10:52 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
I've been through and to the following:

Ohio (my home state)
Indiana
Illinois
Michigan
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
New York
Vermont
New Hampshire
Maine
Massachussetts
Maryland
West Virginia
Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Kentucky
Tennessee
Georgia
Florida

Not to mention 2 countries Ontario Canada, and The Bahamas

Old 05-23-2014, 10:54 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,707 times
Sadly, only 22.

I'll get to 50 some day!

Old 05-23-2014, 11:13 AM

241 posts, read 316,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
49 also. We only have Alaska to go.
I hate you guys, j/k. I was at 25 before I was 24 and I thought I'd hit 50 before 30 but not I'm 32 and still stuck on 36. living in Asia and Europe for 5 years messed up my travel plans.

I have to visit

SD, MT, ID, WA, OR, AZ, NM, WY, DE, WV, UT, CO, AK, HI

I'll visit WV next week and I should visit DE soon since I live in the northeast for a few more weeks and since I'm moving to Texas I'll be closer to CO, UT, AZ and NM so I should visit those in the next couple of years. I'm having a hard time seeing when I'm going to get up to SD, MT, ID let alone AZ.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:53 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Sadly, only 22.

I'll get to 50 some day!

Only 20 for me, and I too would like to see all 50 one day. Well... 20 for me, and 22 for you is a good start.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:12 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
As mentioned earlier, I've been to all 50 but my real goal is to spend really meaningful time in each one as opposed to just driving through a piece of it and stopping at a gas station or two… so far I've done it for…
CA - Lived there for 25 years, including SD, LA, SF and Humboldt areas and there isn't very little of it I have not seen, at least as far as roads go,
WA - Lived there for 3 years, sailed the sound and been back a few times for vacation and stayed in some nice lodges and gone hiking a few times.
OR - Drove the coast a couple of times and stayed in seaside Inn's and had some truly great seafood. Haven't seen much of the interior besides I5.
NV - Been there more times than I'd like, mostly to Vegas for work but also did some paddling down the CO for multi day trips.
ID - Stayed at Coer'deLaine and went out on the lake and saw the countryside a bit, so I guess it counts but would like to see more of it. It was a major contender when I was looking to leave CA, but CO won by a nose.
MT - backpacked it a bit and driven some decent off freeway stretches, but plan to spend a lot more time there in the future.
WY - Yellowstone, Tetons, etc a couple times as well as some other small Mtn areas but would like to spend more time there outside of the parks and off the freeway. It's my nearest neighbor now so no excuses.
UT - Many multi day treks there paddling hiking and exploring some parks. It may be my favorite state outside of CA but not so much for living, IMO.
AZ - did some Backpacking in Sedona and visited the city but I really don;t have much desire to return except maybe for sprint training
NM - I probably go there more than any other state besides CO now. In fact I'm heading there this very afternoon.
CO - My home state now for the past 6 years and I'm already almost out of 'new road' to explore
KS - spent a week there doing volunteer work in rural territory and saw almost every foot of 2 adjacent counties in Western KS in that time.
Missouri - Been there three times now, always to see family and it's pretty boring, but we have had a fun time rafting on a small creek south of KC.
TX - Have family there too that I've visited. Went to a baseball game and somehow ended up in a hot air balloon on one particular trip so that certainly counts even though it's not really a state I CHOOSE to spend much time in.
SD - A week there in the rurals near Yankton, pretty similar to what we did in KS.
Minnesota - spent a week there as a young man with friends on a lake going water skiing. One of the most enjoyable vacations I can recall as a kid. I'd like to go back.
Wisconsin - spent a couple of summers there and had some very interesting and memorable escapades there the details of which are sealed in the vault forever. but it counts.
Florida - Spent a summer there, sweating like crazy and really didm;t think much of it. We were mostly in the panhandle though and didn't get to the beach that often. We did get to explore some caves though which was neat.
Kentucky - rural territory for a week (see KS & SD above) which was very enjoyable and memorable. Some of the nieces people in the world there.
Georgia - spent a summer there as a kid, I don't remember much of it but it counts. We also went hiking in the smokes at some point.
North & South Carolinas - took beach vacations there many times as a kid when I was imprisoned on the east coast
Virginia - lived there for 8+ years of my life, northern and southern, plus a summer or two as an adult. Hated it. Over it. next.
DC - as much as I hate VA I love DC. I've been there many times and think it is a truly great city as cities go.
New York - took week + trips there 3 different times and have seen a lot of the city as well as upstate. We'll be going back in a few more years.
New Hampshire - We had family live there for a time and went to stay with them and we also went sightseeing in Vermont and Maine at the same time, so those all count, IMO
Hawaii - I have a lot of family there now and have been too many times to count. Also I was born there and took my honeymoon there. It's a fantastic place but I've never had a desire to live there. Even visiting hardly seems worth it anymore for all the time and $$ for a family to get there.
Alaska - Been twice once to Fairbanks/Denali and another time to Anchorage/Homer/Kachemak, etc… I've had a good time both times but have seen enough to know the reality is far from what those goofy discovery shows would have you believe.

I think that's it as far as meaningful stuff. I may have left 1 or 2 out. I'm looking forward to spending more time in WY & MT soon and would also like to really see the deep south someday. And maybe Florida deserves a second chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel