Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2007, 07:39 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

Looking for recommendations on the best, within reason, Global Position System for the United States and Western Europe...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 12:29 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,667 times
Default Here's a good site for your info:

Try this site, they have lots of info:

www gpspassion.com/forumsen/default.asp

Rich

Old 09-10-2009, 10:41 PM

Default Garmin Europe Update...

I've had my Costco Garmin Nuvi 270 for more than a year and can't say enough good things about it...

I use it in North America and Western Europe and so far it has been a pleasure... Driving in Europe's old cities can be very trying especially when attempting to locate an address...

My last rental car came with factory GPS and after attempting to program it by twisting and clicking I gave up... my under $200 (what I pd last year) Garmin with touch screen was all I needed...

Just thought I post an update...

Old 09-11-2009, 11:26 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've had my Costco Garmin Nuvi 270 for more than a year and can't say enough good things about it...

I use it in North America and Western Europe and so far it has been a pleasure... Driving in Europe's old cities can be very trying especially when attempting to locate an address...

My last rental car came with factory GPS and after attempting to program it by twisting and clicking I gave up... my under $200 (what I pd last year) Garmin with touch screen was all I needed...

Just thought I post an update...
I have the Garmin Nuvi 350 and I am very satisfied with it. I did invest in the European maps (it came preloaded with the US ones) at around $200 (I think) but prices have probably come down since then. Very easy to use and very intuitive.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:06 PM

298 posts, read 1,010,472 times
I have a Tom Tom one and its been fine in USA, Canada and UK.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:01 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
We have the TomTom Go 920 and couldn't be happier. We travel to Europe frequently and have taken this GPS to many different countries and it works wonderfully. TomTom is a British company, so this unit is actually more accurate in Europe, than in the US (it does work very well here as well, we just noticed that it's flawless in Europe). It's a bit more than most other units, but you get what you pay for. And keep in mind, the maps of Europe already come with this unit and you do not have to purchase them.

Amazon.com: TomTom GO 920 Portable GPS Vehicle Navigator: Electronics

Old 09-14-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
We have the TomTom Go 920 and couldn't be happier. We travel to Europe frequently and have taken this GPS to many different countries and it works wonderfully. TomTom is a British company, so this unit is actually more accurate in Europe, than in the US (it does work very well here as well, we just noticed that it's flawless in Europe). It's a bit more than most other units, but you get what you pay for. And keep in mind, the maps of Europe already come with this unit and you do not have to purchase them.

Amazon.com: TomTom GO 920 Portable GPS Vehicle Navigator: Electronics
I was ready to pull the trigger on a TomTom and then Costco had this sale on the Garmin Nuvi 270 with preloaded North American and Europe for less than $200... it was too good a deal to pass up!

I entered some obscure addresses in the Austrian Alps and each one came up... so it is a keeper...

TomTom makes a very good GPS... I'm just basically cheap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel