Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 09:19 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Cross-country flight diverted after dog poops

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A cross-country fight had to make an unscheduled landing when a service dog pooped twice in the aisle, sickening passengers with the odor.

US Airways spokesman Andrew Christie said the May 28 US Airways flight from Los Angeles to Philadelphia had to make an unscheduled stop in Kansas City.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 10:08 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,535,684 times
A bit strange that it could not have just been picked up and disposed of in the toilet. I'm sure someone could have had some sort of air freshner lol.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:28 PM

681 posts, read 1,560,572 times
Hahaha - that made me LOL... thanks John1960!

I tried to rep you, but apparently I have to spread the love around... although I don't actually remember repping (is that a word?) you before.. Hmmm.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:14 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I got the impression that this was not typical solid waste from the dog, but rather diarrhea. Poor dog, poor everyone. I had read that it was a service dog, and they are so well trained that this must have been terribly upsetting for the owner.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:39 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I got the impression that this was not typical solid waste from the dog, but rather diarrhea. Poor dog, poor everyone. I had read that it was a service dog, and they are so well trained that this must have been terribly upsetting for the owner.
Exactly correct, annerk. This WAS a certified guide dog for a blind passenger. This is a rare occurance, and simply would not have occurred unless the poor dog was ill. Which would also explain the stench.

Those dogs are trained to hold their poop and pee for hours. I know one business traveler who needed to fly to Asia with his guide dog, and the dog held it for 17 hours!

For those interested in learning more about these amazing dogs and their trsining, consider reading the book Thunderdog written by a blind man who escaped the Twin Towers on 9-11 with the assistance of his guide dog. They went down 1463 stairs, leading a large group of people who couldn't see through the smoke.

There were, in fact, TWO blind peoole who escaped that day because they had guide dogs. Incredible animals.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:54 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
What I find so hilarious about the world is not the odd things that happen, but he odd things that MUST happen because the rules and regulations that are enforced, and that everybody knows about, and that everyone laughs about the idiocy of, but nobody does anything about, and that have no provision for a common-sense over-ride..

We live in a flow-chart-ocracy where A must always be followed by B, common sense notwithstanding, which supplies an infinite amount of material to stand-uo comics (not to mention Fox News), which is hilarious as long as it is happening to somebody else.

If I were the owner of the airline, I'd want to know why there was A) no vomit bags in the seat-backs in which the offending matter could have been collected,and B) no soap dispensers in the restrooms with which the heroic employees could have washed their hands afterwards.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-31-2014 at 11:17 AM..

Old 05-31-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What I find so hilarious about the world is not the odd things that happen, but he odd things that MUST happen because the rules and regulations that are enforced, and that everybody knows about, and that everyone laughs about the idiocy of, but nobody does anything about, and that have no provision for a common-sense over-ride..

We live in a flow-chart-ocracy where A must always be followed by B, common sense notwithstanding, which supplies an infinite amount of material to stand-uo comics (not to mention Fox News), which is hilarious as long as it is happening to somebody else.

If I were the owner of the airline, I'd want to know why there was A) no vomit bags in the seat-backs in which the offending matter could have been collected,and B) no soap dispensers in the restrooms with which the heroic employees could have washed their hands afterwards.
I take it you've never had to clean up diarrhea from a sick dog. It's not solid, it soaks into carpeting, and no amount of vomit bags or hand soap will fix the problem. Only a steam cleaner will.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:08 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I take it you've never had to clean up diarrhea from a sick dog. It's not solid, it soaks into carpeting, and no amount of vomit bags or hand soap will fix the problem. Only a steam cleaner will.
As a world traveler who eschews 5-star hotels and dining rooms, I've cleaned up some of my own, and learned to tolerate that of others. I am not unfamiliar with the mechanics of the process.

How can dog diarrhea be worse than human vomit, which airlines have certainly encountered before, or even human diarrhea. Wouldn't an airline plan ahead, and stock a chemical agent on board that would mitigate the olfactory effects of various accidents?

Old 06-01-2014, 08:08 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A cross-country fight had to make an unscheduled landing when a service dog pooped twice in the aisle, sickening passengers with the odor.

US Airways spokesman Andrew Christie said the May 28 US Airways flight from Los Angeles to Philadelphia had to make an unscheduled stop in Kansas City.

How over the top.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
As a world traveler who eschews 5-star hotels and dining rooms, I've cleaned up some of my own, and learned to tolerate that of others. I am not unfamiliar with the mechanics of the process.

How can dog diarrhea be worse than human vomit, which airlines have certainly encountered before, or even human diarrhea. Wouldn't an airline plan ahead, and stock a chemical agent on board that would mitigate the olfactory effects of various accidents?
As the owner of three large dogs, I can tell you that there is pretty much nothing as foul smelling as diarrhea from a sick dog.

As to why airlines don't carry chemical agents on board, it's simple. Flight attendants aren't cleaners, and many of those agents can't be used in a plane full of people and require respirators to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel