Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 07:54 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,008 times

Advertisements

How do veteran travelers deal with an apartment they are renting in the U.S. if they plan on staying overseas in a foreign apartment for a few months? Do they simply pay two rents during that time period?

And since the USPS only holds mail for 30 days what does one do about all of that accumulated mail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 04:17 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
How do veteran travelers deal with an apartment they are renting in the U.S. if they plan on staying overseas in a foreign apartment for a few months? Do they simply pay two rents during that time period?

And since the USPS only holds mail for 30 days what does one do about all of that accumulated mail?

When we go down to Puerto Rico for the winter, we have the forward our mail to my sister-in-law's address (she lives in PR). Last year when we went around the country, we just put a hold on our mail. We were gone for 6 weeks.

Cat

Old 05-31-2014, 07:24 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,073 times
Dealing with apartment rental in the US is going to depend entirely on your lease. If you're bound by a lease, you'll need to pay the rent that you originally agreed to pay. If you're on a month-to-month rental, then you can simply give the required notice and move out, but you'll need to have a place to store your stuff. (Unless you're really a minimalist and don't have stuff to store.) And then when you come back from overseas, you'll need to find a new place to rent and sign a new lease.

As far as mail is concerned, when I stayed overseas for a few months, I had all my mail forwarded to my sister's house. She'd go through the mail, open anything that looked important, and call me about it. Some of the mail she'd send on to me; most of it she threw away (with my blessing). I have a great sister.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:52 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:

I let my landlord know I'm going and I arrange for someone to come to my unit 3 times a week to pick up mail, water plants and just check things out. I'm out of the country for months at a time...landlord doesn't care as long as the rent is paid and the unit is checked by someone ( and I give both parties each other's contact info)

I know when my bills are due and I pay all my bills online except for rent which I leave with my 'apt sitter' and they pay it to the landlord on the first of every month.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:22 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
You're still responsible for paying your rent and heat/electricity while you're away. It's best to get someone to stop by and check on the apartment and pick up your mail once every week while you're away. You might also want to have your mail redirected to a c/o address, if you know someone who can accept delivery for you.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:43 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Sometimes I have someone in my building check my mailbox for me and keep my mail in their apt. As for rent, I send a check from where I am or leave checks with stamps for someone to mail out for me at the appropriate time.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:41 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,008 times
Thanks for the tips but I was thinking if one doesn't have a relative, friend or trustworthy neighbor i the region to handle their personal affairs while away (sometimes financial statements and such contain sensitive information).

Old 06-03-2014, 11:48 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
I have a PO box and my post office held my mail for three months.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:57 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
If going "Over Seas" for months is going to be a regular thing, like every year. I would suggest looking into the Scan and/or Forwarding services alot of RV'ers use.

All your mail get address to a "Address" at the Fwd/Scanner. you give them instruction on what you want to do with the mail.

Toss Junk, Scan all incoming envelopes, Open / Scan certain mail, Fwd certain Mail.

You then go to there website and tell them what to do with each piece.

Trash it
Scan it
Froward it to you.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:23 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tips but I was thinking if one doesn't have a relative, friend or trustworthy neighbor i the region to handle their personal affairs while away (sometimes financial statements and such contain sensitive information).

Then you hire someone to do it. Find a house sitter that is licensed, insured and bonded and have them check your unit, water your plants and pick up your mail.

Go electronic...get all your bills sent to you by e statements and pay them online or over the phone. That's what I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel