Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 09:22 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times

Advertisements

In my opinion it is selfish to fly stand by with a three year old. Travel is hard enough on children--particularly pre-schoolers--but to expect them to be happy hanging out at the airport for hours or even days on end trying to get on a flight? Completely selfish. Then the other passengers have to deal with an over tired child melting down, screaming, kicking, running around, more selfishness.

I would tell my husband that he is welcome to fly stand by and book a ticket fr yourself and the child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 09:27 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,573,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
In my opinion it is selfish to fly stand by with a three year old. Travel is hard enough on children--particularly pre-schoolers--but to expect them to be happy hanging out at the airport for hours or even days on end trying to get on a flight? Completely selfish. Then the other passengers have to deal with an over tired child melting down, screaming, kicking, running around, more selfishness.

I would tell my husband that he is welcome to fly stand by and book a ticket fr yourself and the child.
This is what I have been desperately trying to explain to him. Its going to be hard on her if we dont get the fights on day one. He is not listening. If I put my foot down and say no, I will be hearing about this for the rest of my life as to why I couldnt trust him and at least give it a try once to see how it goes. I know him.
Actually for me there is no point in arguing about wheteher or not it is right to travel standby with a kid. Really, there is no choice, as far as I see it. This probably calls for another thread altogetehr.

Thats why i am here to see if I can be prepared for this arrangement at all.

Does anyone here know how to check for prices for stand-by? I tried a few sites with no luck. Maybe, if I find something cheaper for confirmed tickets, he will agree to flying confirmed.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:29 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,834,936 times
It seems like your itinerary does provide some of the flexibility that you'll want in traveling standby. Being able to go to multiple European cities and then on to your destination is a lot easier than needing to go specifically to X and then on to Y.

My wife and I did a Europe trip after college (with standby tickets - my Dad's a pilot). Our rough plan had us flying into Amsterdam, but when we got to the airport, that flight was full. So we flew into Rome and started there instead. No big deal.

Good luck.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:44 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,573,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
It seems like your itinerary does provide some of the flexibility that you'll want in traveling standby. Being able to go to multiple European cities and then on to your destination is a lot easier than needing to go specifically to X and then on to Y.
A lot of people in this thread told me to be flexible. Is this what it means? Yes, there is no particular city we need to commute to. In the end, i just need to reach my destination, thats all.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:10 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,042 times
If you fly stand-by be very careful to triple check the flight schedule. You may be bumped off your flight and left stranded in some remote airport. Allow for long delays in the terminals. You will earn your money for sure.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:21 PM

10 posts, read 9,933 times
Just curious, where did you get a lower price for standby? Do you pay for your tickets at the airport? I thought standby was just for those who already have tickets and either arrive earlier so they want an earlier flight or who miss their flight and want a later flight.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:26 PM

989 posts, read 2,854,446 times
With the bags, they normally mark them as "standby" and hold them until you get a seat. You do run a (small) risk of your luggage not making it on the plane or your luggage making it on the plane without you, although that risk I believe has diminished since 9/11.

Depending on your husbands status, what airline he works for, etc, his company should be able to provide the standby rates so he should be able to figure out the cost. When I was younger (back in the day!) we only had to pay the taxes for my tickets. LAX to Sydney, Australia was $99 business class. Auckland, New Zealand to LAX was $35 coach. I believe rates for standbys have increased but it depends on what airline, etc.

Also, there are some discounted airfares he may be eligible for- paying a different airline for confirmed seats at a discount. I believe my mom had some sort of deal she could use when she wanted to go somewhere her airline didn't fly. Like an interliner rate? A zed ticket? Someone with more knowledge may be able to chime in.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:29 PM

10 posts, read 9,933 times
What about for a person who doesn't work for an airline, how do you go about getting standby tickets with cheaper rates?

Old 06-03-2014, 01:34 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
I grew up flying standby (mom was a flight attendant). Try to be very flexible in your plans. Back in the day I called the airline and asked them what my best bet getting home from New Zealand was (one flight per day) and gave them a one week range (this was pre-internet). They gave me the best option and I got the very last seat on the plane. I've spent many a night in airports. The trade off is that I got to experience places I could never have afforded to go.

Always have the plan of what happens if there aren't enough seats available. I've traveled where we've split up and met each other and where we've waited it out to be on the same flight. It will be very nerve racking up until they close the door and back up from the jetway (I've been kicked off planes when late passengers have shown up after I've already been assigned a seat and am sitting in it). I've also gotten assigned a seat on a plane that then had subsequent mechanical issues. If they take the plane out of commission they have to reroute all the paying passengers. That can delay a standby seat for days.

I don't want to scare you. I always made it to my destination, it just took longer sometimes. And you have to be very flexible. And look at it as an adventure. If you have to be somewhere at a certain time or home from somewhere at a certain time I would not recommend it.
Bingo!

My mom works for an airline. I travel standby a lot-- although I actually have status on an airline as well (so I travel quite a bit revenue and non rev).

When I fly standby, I always list for first and I tend to just buy my connecting flights when I get in country. For example, last fall went to Venice. I flew into LHR then bought a ticket same day to get to the next country. I would do the same honestly for many other types of routing.

There have been times when I just get annoyed enough that I will buy a ticket home if I get stuck somewhere. Planning a trip back to Italy on standby with a friend of mine who will have a lower status than me (similar to Buddy ticket). I usually have multiple routings ready to ask my mom to sign her or me up for and we just always schedule a hotel for a day or two out so we have ample time to get there.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:36 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
A lot of people in this thread told me to be flexible. Is this what it means? Yes, there is no particular city we need to commute to. In the end, i just need to reach my destination, thats all.
Flexible can mean anything.

Flexible on dates, flexible on not being on the same flight, flexible on class of service (i usually always dress and list for First), flexible on destination city, flexible on time (I had once where I flew into ORD and then waited 48 hours to get to my final destination in Ireland)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel