Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 02:38 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,038 times

Advertisements

The Royal Mews were interesting. It's the 'garage' for Buckingham Palace and has all the carriages and cars for the royals as well as Irish and other carriages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 04:54 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
I LOVE books, I went into every old dusty book shop I found. I love odd shops and places where you don't find the touristy stuff but then again I adore Harrods...When I went the first time with my parents we went into every store that we ran across that had a Royal Warrant I believe it was called, meaning the coat of arms of whichever Royal they supply things for is over the door.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:48 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Favorites

1. Tower of London and nearby Tower Bridge
2. Eye of London
3. Parliament and Big Ben
4. Churchill's War rooms
5. St. Paul's Cathedral
6. Westminster Abby.
7. Buckingham Palace
8. Hyde Park
9. Royal Parade Grounds
10. British Museum.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:49 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
It's interesting that the Tower of London doesn't get many raves. From looking at a map, it's a little out of the way compared to most of the sites that interest me. So I'll very likely bypass that one for my first London trip.
I love the Tower. It's real high among my favorite London sites. I go there every time I'm in London, and spend most of a day there. But then, I'm a Shakespeare fan. Take the tour, but then take the time to really wander through and absorb the feel of the place. I've always thought it was a really great representation of what life was like in that era for royals.

Got to agree with others, though ... Madame Tussaud's is not worth either the time nor the money.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:06 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Considering London for my next vacation. It would be my first trip to the UK.

It wouldn't be a long trip, about 10 days. I'd like some input to trim down my list of things to see and do. I plan on sticking to central London (large as it is), without taking any day trips outside the city.

So what are the must-do sites in London?

What can I put off to a future trip?

What should I just skip altogether?
Why don't you want to take any day trips?

Since it's your first trip to the UK, I would strongly recommend a trip out of London, especially since you have 10 days which is plenty. We rented a car for 6 days, but you can also take a train. Take a train to Oxford and/or Bath at least, and maybe try to see a bit of the countryside. Going to England without seeing the charming countryside would be a real shame. If you can drive, basing yourself out of Oxford and staying at a motor inn (as we did) and exploring the Cotswold and sights such as Blenheim palace (a must see, IMO) would be great for you. Certainly was for us.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:21 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,429 times
Time Out usually has a good list of attractions and events in relation to London and other major cities.

Time Out London - Activities, Attractions & What's on in London

Old 06-09-2014, 08:59 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Why don't you want to take any day trips?

Since it's your first trip to the UK, I would strongly recommend a trip out of London, especially since you have 10 days which is plenty. We rented a car for 6 days, but you can also take a train. Take a train to Oxford and/or Bath at least, and maybe try to see a bit of the countryside. Going to England without seeing the charming countryside would be a real shame. If you can drive, basing yourself out of Oxford and staying at a motor inn (as we did) and exploring the Cotswold and sights such as Blenheim palace (a must see, IMO) would be great for you. Certainly was for us.
I guess because the "big city" is the draw for me. Crowds, noise, traffic, pollution, tall buildings that blot out the sun... give it to me!

I'd love to see some other part of Britain on an extended stay, maybe Devon and Cornwall, or the Lake country. That would be for a future vacation, though. I like to give the countryside its due... instead of speeding by everything, I'd like to stay overnight for a night or two, and poke around in some tiny villages or a small town.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:32 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,031 times
If you are staying 9 or 10 days, a day trip (or two) out of London is definitely worthwhile. I have never rented a car in England, but have done a number to day trips by train. In both cases, we just checked the train schedule and purchased our tickets on our own. I have also done a number of organized day tours by bus, which included all entry tickets and a professional guide.

You can get books or look online for more suggestions for day trips by train, but I can recommend both Warrick Castle and Winchester England. Windsor Castle is also very cool.

If a more organized trip with the services of a professional guide appeals to you, I can recommend day trips to Bath-Salsbury-Stonehenge and Leeds Castle-Canterbury-Dover.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:56 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
If you are staying 9 or 10 days, a day trip (or two) out of London is definitely worthwhile. I have never rented a car in England, but have done a number to day trips by train. In both cases, we just checked the train schedule and purchased our tickets on our own. I have also done a number of organized day tours by bus, which included all entry tickets and a professional guide.

You can get books or look online for more suggestions for day trips by train, but I can recommend both Warrick Castle and Winchester England. Windsor Castle is also very cool.

If a more organized trip with the services of a professional guide appeals to you, I can recommend day trips to Bath-Salsbury-Stonehenge and Leeds Castle-Canterbury-Dover.
Not sure about Stonehenge, I never found it that amazing and I am British, just a lot of big stones, however it is more impressive than Spinal Taps stage prop of Stonehenge.

Wells Cathedral is an impressive place to visit not too far from that area.

Wells Cathedral - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cities in England and UK | VisitBritain

Find ideas for holidays in England, days out and tourist information - VisitEngland.com

Not sure why Carlisle is on this list but outside of London places such as Bath, Oxford, Cambridge, Stratford Upon Avon, Chester, Lincoln, Norwich, York, Durham, Edinburgh, St Andrews are all very picturesque. Whilst the coastline in the South West of England, Wales, Northumberland and much of Scotland is fabulous. Places along the South Coast of England such as Brighton, Bournemouth and right across to Torquay and Lands End are also worth a visit if you have time.

Heritage Cities - England

Last edited by Bamford; 06-10-2014 at 05:09 AM..

Old 06-10-2014, 09:32 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
Not sure about Stonehenge, I never found it that amazing and I am British, just a lot of big stones, however it is more impressive than Spinal Taps stage prop of Stonehenge.

Wells Cathedral is an impressive place to visit not too far from that area.

Wells Cathedral - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cities in England and UK | VisitBritain

Find ideas for holidays in England, days out and tourist information - VisitEngland.com

Not sure why Carlisle is on this list but outside of London places such as Bath, Oxford, Cambridge, Stratford Upon Avon, Chester, Lincoln, Norwich, York, Durham, Edinburgh, St Andrews are all very picturesque. Whilst the coastline in the South West of England, Wales, Northumberland and much of Scotland is fabulous. Places along the South Coast of England such as Brighton, Bournemouth and right across to Torquay and Lands End are also worth a visit if you have time.

Heritage Cities - England

I loved Stonehenge. Clava Cairns in Scotland and Newgrange in Ireland are very cool as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel