Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 05:24 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,419,967 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have decided to take my three 20 something kids and their significant others for a 4 day trip to one of the all inclusive resorts. We will all be flying from the north east (Boston, NY and Philly) and want real good food and possible golf and surfing. Hit a bit of a windfall on company stock options and have decided to blow a portion of it on this trip of a lifetime. Looking to travel next spring. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 06:08 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
I was going to say Cancun but I don't if it's that good for surfing. Maybe Hawaii then?

Old 06-09-2014, 06:20 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
We love Punta Cana, but there isn't surfing there.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:06 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Hawaii for surfing but coming from the Northeast 4 days is not enough time.
Maybe Southern California? But no AI resorts there.

For AI resorts your best bet is the Caribbean, if you have a wad of cash to blow check out the different Sandals resorts as they are ADULTS only..couples so no little kiddos buzzing around. AS far as AI resorts go they are top notch and have many through out the Caribbean but alas no surfing

Old 06-09-2014, 11:55 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,529 times
Cabo! It fits your needs perfectly! It's a major golf destination, and it has some great surfing. The only down side is that the Pacific coast of Mexico is a bit of a hike from the Northeast. But I think the ideal location is worth the extra flight time.

If you really want to do it up, I recommend Zoëtry Casa Del Mar Los Cabos. It is a boutique all-suite property, and even the lead-in category rooms are all ocean view. It is a 5-star, AAA 4-diamond property known for gourmet food and luxury. There are only 53 rooms on property, so guests get a very personalized experience. It is not an adults-only property, but children are discouraged so you are unlikely to encounter many (if any) during your stay.

Another great option would be the brand-new Secrets Puerto Los Cabos. It is a far larger property, with 500 suites as opposed to 53 at Zoëtry. This means there are more activities going on all the time, which could be a plus especially for your 20-somethings. Secrets is adults-only, so no chance of little one splashing around in the pool. It is not strictly couples-only, but it is definitely geared toward being a romantic getaway. Rooms start at Garden View, but you can upgrade to an Ocean View and/or bump it up a notch into the Preferred Club for extra privileges.

For the record, I am not in any way affiliated with these resorts. I just work in the travel industry and I think either one of the above would be an excellent choice for someone with your travel needs.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:14 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal;35159605 [B
Cabo[/b]! It fits your needs perfectly! It's a major golf destination, and it has some great surfing. The only down side is that the Pacific coast of Mexico is a bit of a hike from the Northeast. But I think the ideal location is worth the extra flight time.[/b]

If you really want to do it up, I recommend Zoëtry Casa Del Mar Los Cabos. It is a boutique all-suite property, and even the lead-in category rooms are all ocean view. It is a 5-star, AAA 4-diamond property known for gourmet food and luxury. There are only 53 rooms on property, so guests get a very personalized experience. It is not an adults-only property, but children are discouraged so you are unlikely to encounter many (if any) during your stay.

Another great option would be the brand-new Secrets Puerto Los Cabos. It is a far larger property, with 500 suites as opposed to 53 at Zoëtry. This means there are more activities going on all the time, which could be a plus especially for your 20-somethings. Secrets is adults-only, so no chance of little one splashing around in the pool. It is not strictly couples-only, but it is definitely geared toward being a romantic getaway. Rooms start at Garden View, but you can upgrade to an Ocean View and/or bump it up a notch into the Preferred Club for extra privileges.

For the record, I am not in any way affiliated with these resorts. I just work in the travel industry and I think either one of the above would be an excellent choice for someone with your travel needs.
Been there and I agree, only problem is they are looking at only 4 days, two of those days would involve hours of travel from and back to the NE

Old 06-10-2014, 06:35 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Been there and I agree, only problem is they are looking at only 4 days, two of those days would involve hours of travel from and back to the NE
That's exactly what I was thinking. Crazy to go more than a couple of hours by plane for a four day trip.

You want a "trip of a lifetime" for your family - very generous. Expand it to 7 days. Look at locations that are closer to your NE city residences. Maybe a cruise departing from NYC to Bermuda? Maybe a ski chalet in Vermont or upstate NY? You might be able to rent out an entire B&B just for your family.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:21 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I know United has nonstops out of Newark to SJD. And the time difference works to your favor: you leave at 9:30 AM and get in shortly after 1 PM local time. Leave mid afternoon and get home before the evening news. I'm sure other major Northeast airports have similar offerings. It is entirely a matter of personal preference, but I would rather spend a bit more time in transit to reach somewhere that delivered what I was looking for rather than having a couple of extra hours in a runner-up destination. I would say that goes double for something being billed as the "trip of a lifetime".

Old 06-10-2014, 12:09 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I'm not sure you can do a trip of a lifetime in only four days.

One question--do you all have passports, and if not, are you prepared to spend the $165+ per passport? That will have a lot of bearing on your destination.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:07 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,419,967 times
Thanks for all the info so far. The kids are just starting out in their careers so I don't want to chew up too much of their limited vacation time on a trip with "Mom and Dad". Four days works for all of us. They are all college grads and seasoned travelers with passports. Looks like surfing and probably golf are off the plate and it appears we are destined for the Caribbean because of travel time. Now once again we need really good food and no kids. Picking up the tab for the 8 of us I was looking to spend around $10,000. Keep the recommendations coming. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel