Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 09:31 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Hey, if you think places like Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc. are safe, have at it.
I was talking more along the lines of Kazahkstan, Uzbekistan, and Kyrgyzstan. Pakistan and Afghanistan aren't part of the "Russian 'Stans".

Old 06-15-2014, 09:33 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,440 times
Mexico is cheap and is partially safe. The Yucatan, DF, Oaxaca and Chiapas are safe and make for an interesting trip. Sadly, many of the other states have travel advisories.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:23 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
...if youu travel long enough, you will eventually get heptatitis-A, a childhood disease in the third world, there is nothing you can do to avoid it.
There's an immunization available, now.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:58 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,447,811 times
"Russian 'Stans'?

You mean Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan?

Afghanistan and Pakistan aren't considered Russian 'Stans.

The actual Russian 'Stans are fascinating and perfectly fine places to travel to. We went to Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan two years ago on a glorious trip. Armenia and Georgia aren't considered part of the 'Stans but they are former Soviet block countries in the same general area and we also had a wonderful trip there.

But they are not as cheap as one might imagine. The high costs include flights into the region and visas (for most of the 'Stans). Once you're inside the country and are willing to take public transit and stay cheaply in B&Bs, then it can be reasonable.

As for other parts of the Middle East, the Gulf States (such as the UAE and Oman), Jordan and Israel are perfectly safe countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'd say that in addition to the Middle East, a good chunk of Africa and most of the "Russian 'Stans" would be places you wouldn't really want to visit right now.

A friend of mine spent much of his childhood in Lebanon and Syria and spoke very fondly of both countries. This would have been in the 60's and early 70's--a very different time back then. It's unfortunate that many of us will most likely never get to see much of the Middle East in our lifetimes due to politics.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:06 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,447,811 times
To the OP:

Nowhere in the world is truly 100% safe in the sense that you can do anything you want and always be safe.

Traveling in SE Asia is cheap as chips and generally safe, but there's still the risk of petty crime (thefts from unlocked hostel rooms are not uncommon). If you indulge in drugs, you are at a much higher risk for crime anywhere. If you like sleazy bars in questionable areas, you are at a higher risk for crime. So it's all about travel smarts, as you already indicated. With that in mind almost everywhere in the world is safe enough.

Pricewise, SE Asia gives you the most bang for the buck. You may have already been to Indonesia, but what about Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam? They're quite different from Indonesia, and Thailand is different from Vietnam. That'd make for a great long trip.

India is very cheap and rewarding. There does seem to be a problem with women in certain areas at the moment, but as a male you should be fine. Sri Lanka is another option if you go to India, as is Nepal. I have seen a goodly portion of the world by now and I have to say India was the most "foreign" place I'd ever been to, there were times when I even questioned whether I was still on this planet.

Eastern Europe (Poland, Romania, Hungary, Czech Republic, Bulgaria, the Balkans) can still be traveled cheaply with many rewarding cities and destinations. Romania was probably our favorite country in Eastern Europe, along with the Czech Republic, and Romania felt perfectly safe to us and it was among the cheapest countries in Europe while still providing the level of infrastructure you take for granted in western European countries.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:26 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I'm a travel junkie, but I'm also young and not well-established financially. I have plans to travel extensively while I have the time (as in months to years), and I'm putting together a list of places that are cheap, yet safe. I've spent a good amount of time in Ghana, some in Indonesia, so I know how to keep safe as a (pale, red-headed) foreigner, but that only goes so far, especially in places with political instability.

So I guess I want to hear about off-the-beaten-path places that you might recommend. While I will have plenty saved up, I know there are tons of beautiful places outside the American and/or Western travel canon, and I'd love to explore.
If you decide to take a trip to Vietnam, you can find some very cheap hotels/motels...like $17 just like this one...pretty darn nice for 17 bucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYq12qFEvCA

Old 06-18-2014, 12:52 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,558 times
People have different definitions of cheap. As you can see, many have mentioned Portugal, which is cheap for Europe, but 2-3x the cost of South Asia or SE Asia. There are places where $20-25/day will be easy living, but that will be a tougher budget in Portugal.

SE Europe is the cheap region of Europe, which won't be as much of a nuissance to get to as Asia. Serbia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Romania, Bulgaria, Ukraine, or even Turkey. Eastern Turkey is cheaper and more exotic than the touristic west.

Latin America is between Europe and Asia in expenses, for the most part. But a lot of people avoid it for fear of crime. The chances of being a victim of violence is low, but petty crime seems common enough.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:45 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post

Latin America is between Europe and Asia in expenses, for the most part. But a lot of people avoid it for fear of crime. The chances of being a victim of violence is low, but petty crime seems common enough.
Petty crime is rampant is parts of Europe as well--Rome, Barcelona, and Paris are full of pickpockets and purse snatchers as well as every scam artist under the sun trying to relieve you of your property. Kotor, Amsterdam, and St. Petersburg are safe during the day but not so much after dark when petty and even violent crime rises.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:01 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,388,384 times
The Czech Republic is pretty fun. There is a lot of history in Prague and lots of good shopping opportunists.

Flying there from INTL may be expensive, but lodging and food are very cheap. When I was there a couple years ago, you could get a large many topping pizza and a pitcher of beer for $1.50.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:37 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post

Depends where in Latin America you're talking..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel