Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 10:53 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times

Advertisements

We have moved across the country twice. The first time we used maps the whole way from Ohio to Ca. When we moved to Tx from Ca we used a GPS. We have come to depend on it so much. We haven't even bought a map of Texas yet. The thing that we like about using it over the map so much is that it plots out alternative routes for you and it gives you time estimations on how long the alternative will take. Yes I could figure that out with a map but I probably couldn't figure out the time though(not good with math)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 12:42 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
I agree about needing a backup atlas.
What if is stormy and gps in unable to pick up a signal.
What if the maps in system are not updated and the system cannot find the road even though they have not change course.
So it will go in your lost mode and tell you turn around so all they will be doing is circles.
If they dont use an atlas least they should do is stop at every welcome center to look at map there. I cant travel gps only and not look at a map I need to know what cities or towns that are on the route so I can know mentally I am on track.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:39 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
My sister is like this, still manages to get lost even with her satellite set up.

I rely on an atlas, I have been reading maps since I was pretty young. My Dad used to call me The Navigator.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:02 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times
my last 3 trips from NH - Fla were without hand held maps, strickly my navigation system in my car.. The very first time i drove it I used a map/trip tic and come DC took a wrong turn ended up in a place where people were using real doors to cover their windows that had been shot out, got home and bought a gps.. never had a prob again

Old 12-21-2007, 07:37 AM

9 posts, read 42,242 times
Default Gps & Map

I just completed a trip from Dallas, TX to Toronto Canada. Just before my trip I got a TomTom GPS as a gift which I used on me trip. Before getting the GPS as a gift I had planned to use my Microsoft Streets and Trips on my laptop.

I know how to read maps, but can't remember the last time I bought a paper map, as I have been using MS Streets and Trips for the longest time. Since I got the GPS for my trip I used as along with my laptop and it was great. What I really liked about the GPS was that it would tell me which lane to be in well before the road signs would show up for changing freeways. This helped when passing though large cities and dealing with traffic.

So, I think it is important that one knows how to read map. At the same time, GPS is a cool toy.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:37 PM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Thats so funny, my daughter got lost using one, just going to the airport to pick someone up!!

Old 12-27-2007, 12:18 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,797,189 times
Default My maps are free from AAA, never use them now...

My wife and I have taken a number of road trips from Cape Cod to:GA, SC, FL, also, flew into El Paso and did a 1,500 mile triangle to Las Cruces/Silver City/TorC and back to El Paso. Drove all over San Diego area several times. I always had paper maps with me (they are free after all), just never looked at them. I not only find that my GPS (a Garmin Nuvi 350) is spot on accurate well over 90% of the time, at night it can be the only practical game in town!

There seem to be many new model GPS units out there from lots of companies. I suggest that should you wish to purchase a unit, get one with Talk to Turn (I think that's what it's called) capability, where the unit states the name of the next turn coming up ("Turn left in 500 feet on Willow Street," not simply "Turn left in 500 feet."). It really makes a difference.

Lots of units out there now for around $250 dollars.

Rich

Old 12-27-2007, 02:42 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
I used to travel all over with out a map or road atlas. I can read them just fine, but simply don't need them. After I got married I have taken to putting one in the vehicle for a cross country trip because it makes the wife feel better, but never even look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel