Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 10:35 AM

2,111 posts, read 2,726,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Right ... because there's no better way to stop a child from crying than causing them more physical pain. That's great logic right there.

Thank you, I thought so as well!

Old 06-18-2014, 10:42 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
They have an obligation to try. But if they haven't been trained at home it's unlikely they'll suddenly be well behaved on a plane just because you want them to.
Children are people, not dogs. Under a certain age, there is only so much you can do to prepare a child in advance of a flight, especially if this is a new experience to them. As they get older, it certainly gets easier and you can better explain and reason with them, but for infants and toddlers, you just do the best you can, and even the best behaved, well mannered toddler at home can turn into a screaming melting down mess at the snap of your fingers. It happens to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I disagree. That kid was nonstop talking. What the mother should have done was to take the best to the back of the plane and sternly tell the kid thst she wasn't going to put up with it. The mother was a total failure.
Were they talking, or screaming and crying, because I'd have very politely told you to shove it if you objected to me or anyone in my family, adult or child, who talked through a flight. I've been on a lot of planes and talking has never been frowned upon, excepting long stretch international flights where they dim the lights and close the window shutters so people can sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
How about sedating the screaming child with Benadryl? It works! We wouldn't tolerate an adult flipping out on a flight. I've seen kids running up and down the aisles. Just ridiculous. Drive if you can't keep your offspring under control.
Yep, bright idea to dose a child with unnecessary drugs when you're thousands of feet in the air and nowhere close to medical attention if your child has an adverse or unexpected reaction to the unnecessary drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Nothing is worse than a bratty kid on a closed in situation, but sometimes to shut them up is easier said than done. One time we were flying home from London, on a day flight. there was a family with about 3 or 4 girls, the oldest about 14. She kept walking up and down the aisle with the younger one. Finally, I had had enough, we couldn't even watch the movie and I said, not in a very nice grandmotherly way, don't you 2 have a seat. That was the end of their walking back and forth. On the other hand, when you are dealing with an infant or even a toddler, it can be pretty hard, sometimes to quiet them down. I feel sorry for the parents. How embarrassing must it be? If they are over about 3, I can guarantee you, my kids would not have to be told more than once to quiet down.
Were the movie screens public and only a few along the aisles, because that's about the only time I can imagine someone walking down the aisle interrupting your movie watching. Even so, people walk up and down aisles all the time going to and from the loo, and for health reasons, it's encouraged for everyone to leave their seats periodically to walk and stretch your legs on long flights.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:55 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
No where in the OP does it state the age. It said "kids".
In a following post she specifically stated the offending child was 3-4 years old.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:06 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
Imagine being that age. Cooped up in a moving room that is crowded with strangers. Sitting for a long period of time. Ears popping.

Yes - a parent has an obligation to try to quiet a child. But you can't make a child stop screaming. What is a parent supposed to do - take the child outside?

Old 06-18-2014, 11:10 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Imagine being that age. Cooped up in a moving room that is crowded with strangers. Sitting for a long period of time. Ears popping.

Yes - a parent has an obligation to try to quiet a child. But you can't make a child stop screaming. What is a parent supposed to do - take the child outside?
Some people would say yes, and be absolutely serious about it.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:38 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I just endured a horrific southwest airline flight filled with screaming crying kids who would not shut up. All the mother did was "shhhh". Does that qualify as sufficient these days? What obligation do these parents have for the other passengers? Or do they? Should they leave the kids at home?
I'm not sure the best way to quite a kid down on a plane, but yes, parents always have an obligation to keep their kids under control no matter where they are.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:39 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:

I give a pass to an infant or younger toddler as long as the parents are actively trying to calm the child. The older kids, no way. From the age of three, children have the cognitive development to know right from wrong and understand the behavior expected of them. If they don't, their parents have failed.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:44 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,991,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Most pediatricians would be appalled by that statement. By the way, it does not always work. It actually has the opposite affect on many children, and agitates them. Common side affects are dizziness and nausea. You really think it's smart ta give a kid something likely to cause an upset stomach before they get on a plane? I hope you're the one sitting next to them, not me.
Really? I work in healthcare and most if not all pediatricians would agree with me. I call BS on your comment.

So sick of people thinking it's society's burden to deal with chaos..... Oooh, your a parent, how honorable! Yeah, the rest of the passengers should just turn a blind eye and smile in the mid of a red eye flight.

If you are so opposed to Benadryl, try melatonin. Regardless, check your child!

Old 06-18-2014, 11:49 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Parents always have an obligation to control their children whether they have the ability to do it or not.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:53 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:

Not put them on the plane to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel