Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 06:33 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I don't want to avoid kids. Just poorly behaved ones. Airlines ban adults for disruptive behavior on planes, they should do the same for kids. Not a permanent ban, but if a child is overly disruptive, they should be banned for a year.
That's like saying, I don't hate puppies, just the ones who pee on the floor.

Kids will behave like kids. Deal with it.

Noise canceling headphones and eye masks should solve the problem, unless they're actually jumping in your lap and biting you, peeing on you, or spilling your drink.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:52 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times

Old 06-25-2014, 06:56 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

Noise canceling headphones and eye masks should solve the problem, unless they're actually jumping in your lap and biting you, peeing on you, or spilling your drink.
I've had them throw food at me, knock over my drink, climb over me while I was sleeping, and scream so loudly because they wanted their dad (they were sitting next to mom, I don't think dad was on the plane) that noise cancelling headphones didn't fix the problem.

Do you really think it's acceptable for a four year old to stand on the seat and drop things over the back so they land in the lap or laptop of the person behind them? That's happened more than once while the parents were pre-occupied with their drink and magazine. That changed quickly when I returned the cookies to the mothers tray table (11 animal crackers to be exact) and another time when I finally got the FA involved.

The best was the ignorant woman with the squirmy two year old lap bay who first flailed her arms, hitting me in the face leaving a bruise, and then sent her juice flying down my leg. The mother didn't even apologize, let alone pay the dry cleaning bill for my pants.

I had another kid climb over my lap to get a toy from their sibling who was sitting a few rows away. I was sound asleep, and very rudely awakened by a five year old who could have slid out past my legs but chose to literally climb over me instead. The father was in the window seat, sound asleep. He should have been awake, and should have put the kid in the window seat.

We won't even get into the kid who last week spent an entire flight kicking the back of my seat, even after I very nicely asked the parents to speak to him about it. He had to squirm down in his seat to do it as we were in first, it was a game to him, not an accident.

These are not acceptable situations, and kids like this should not be allowed to fly.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:26 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
Quote:
Sorry...I can not buy into that. While I have never been classified as a "passenger of size" I use to take up a lot of space. Out of consideration for the passenger next to me I would do things such as stay awake the whole flight so that I could keep myself from flowing into their space. I also would lean towards the aisle which almost always resulted me in getting smacked with the beverage cart. I have flown 100's of flights and have been smacked with the beverage cart 100's of times. If out of consideration for the passenger next to me I am willing to get smacked with the beverage cart, is it asking too much to expect parents to make an effort to control their kids? I think not.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:43 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
I have heard the Japanese are pretty good at keep their kids under control in public. There isn't any of this kids will be kids mantra. I think it's more a cultural thing here to let kids act up and just call it natural.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:19 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:

Actually I'm not a big fan of puppies. I adopted senior dogs that others passed over. They are housebroken, and are very calm and well behaved.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:31 AM

552 posts, read 834,685 times
that's why you wear headphones and listen to music on a flight.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:33 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Young kids' ears pop rather painfully when planes descend. If that was the cause of the crying, there really isn't much that the parents could do about it.
Yes there is.

I wear these when I fly. Painful without, but when I wear these, it is fine.

EarPlanes Children's Ear Plugs, Disposable | Walgreens

Old 06-25-2014, 08:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:

I agree and disagree: no, kids do not have to disobey. If they are raised correctly they know how to behave in public. Again, we are not talking about toddlers, we are talking about kids who are at an age they can be reasoned with: as for anyone suggesting banning them; what a joke, of course banning them from flying can not be done...and yes, kids will be kids, but my kids would know what I mean when I say quiet down or you know what you will get. The subject of this thread is: do parents have an obligation to control their kids when flying: the short answer is: YES, I feel the exact same way when they are in public period, the store, the restaurants, anywhere. It is called respect for others. Too many people today, do not respect others...the live in the Me World and it's all about my darling kids.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:14 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree and disagree: no, kids do not have to disobey. If they are raised correctly they know how to behave in public. Again, we are not talking about toddlers, we are talking about kids who are at an age they can be reasoned with: as for anyone suggesting banning them; what a joke, of course banning them from flying can not be done...and yes, kids will be kids, but my kids would know what I mean when I say quiet down or you know what you will get. The subject of this thread is: do parents have an obligation to control their kids when flying: the short answer is: YES, I feel the exact same way when they are in public period, the store, the restaurants, anywhere. It is called respect for others. Too many people today, do not respect others...the live in the Me World and it's all about my darling kids.
Most would agree with your points, which are reasonable. However there are one or two people who are battling to the death over whether any child should ever misbehave, like the person who hates puppies for example :/

This subject has pretty much been beaten to death and I guess there's not much more to say, except maybe to psychoanalyze those few forum participants who have expressed their intolerance for children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel