Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 10:09 AM

546 posts, read 1,817,843 times

Advertisements

I have a question about Southwest Rapid Rewards. I guess I could call them but I will ask anyway. Our SW card is tied to my husband's rapid rewards account. I also have a rapid rewards account but my number is not tied to our credit card because you can only tie it to one account. I recently traveled with my son on SW airlines. We used points for my son's ticket but I bought my ticket with our SW card. Should we get the double points for the purchase of the ticket and also miles for the actual travel? I get confused about how to maximize our points. It seems I should get the miles for my travel and then we can combine all the points when we are ready to plan another trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 06:46 AM

5,125 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
I have a question about Southwest Rapid Rewards. I guess I could call them but I will ask anyway. Our SW card is tied to my husband's rapid rewards account. I also have a rapid rewards account but my number is not tied to our credit card because you can only tie it to one account. I recently traveled with my son on SW airlines. We used points for my son's ticket but I bought my ticket with our SW card. Should we get the double points for the purchase of the ticket and also miles for the actual travel? I get confused about how to maximize our points. It seems I should get the miles for my travel and then we can combine all the points when we are ready to plan another trip.

Anybody thinking of taking up this offer? Four thousand up front in purchases with a $69 annual fee. Once purchases are completed it takes up to 8 weeks to get companion fare status until 12/31/2019.

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/sou...LX&clk=2488062

Old 01-13-2019, 07:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
The referenced CC offer is a good deal, especially if you have time to travel (retired) and can afford / or have the points for the primary ticket.

My companion flew 140 free ($5.60) flights last yr.

SWA is the bargain of bargains for award travel (as low as 3,000 pts for a one way on some fares) + $5.60 for companion!

Old 01-13-2019, 07:20 AM

5,125 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
The referenced CC offer is a good deal, especially if you have time to travel (retired) and can afford / or have the points for the primary ticket.

My companion flew 140 free ($5.60) flights last yr.

SWA is the bargain of bargains for award travel (as low as 3,000 pts for a one way on some fares) + $5.60 for companion!

We are on the fence, but we can easily spend that much at this time of year as we pay our homeowners and car insurance up front at the begining of each year in cash.

Going to do a bit of research to see if you can change the designator. UPDATE: Seems so!

The Member will automatically be notified of Companion Pass eligibility and provided with Companion Pass rules and instructions for designating a Companion. The Member is limited to one Companion at any time. After designating a Companion, the Member will be issued a Companion Pass card. The Companion Pass card is not transferrable. The Member may, however, change his/her designated Companion and request issuance of a new Companion Pass card up to three (3) times each calendar year that the Member maintains Companion Pass status. Any reservation with the current Companion Pass would need to be cancelled before changing his/her designated Companion. Requests may be made by calling 1-800-435-9792. Allow 21 business days for processing and issuance of the Companion Pass card. The Member's designated Companion must be an individual. An individual may not travel as both a Member and a Companion on the same flight. Corporations and other entities cannot be designated as Companions.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
You can designate companions 3x (Max) / yr. (only ONE at a time)

*warning... that means... A to B and back to A = 3x. (2 total companions / yr)
as does A > B > C (3 different companions / yr)

It would be really nice to have codes for (3) companions and be able to book flights intermittently with each ... Not available.

SWA Companion is Such a sweet deal, tho not as good as the late (1980's) $750 AA annual pass = fly 1x / week for a yr, (with a companion) + accrue Mileage! A friend did international speaking and flew every week on that one for several yrs!

The freedom on SWA to cancel and change makes all the difference for me (tho I LUV fast boarding / no assigned seats).
Since I am in a rainy climate, I book multiple destinations at the same time, then fly to the one with the best weather and cancel (postpone) the other destinations for another time.

Hawaii is going to be a nice additional destination (for $5.60)
* note that some of the SWA international destinations require $70+ for your companion (taxes)

Old 01-14-2019, 08:11 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
For your ticket, you should get double the miles, and then the actual flight miles. For the reward ticket, you'll get double miles on the security fee or non-ticket expenses, but nothing else. However the double/purchase reward miles will post on the cardholder's account, and your miles will post on your account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel