Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 04:36 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times

Advertisements

I booked a Thanksgiving trip on Orbitz back in September and got a pretty good deal on the tickets however for some reason on two segments my seats would not "confirm". I am 6'6" tall and there is no way I am sitting in a middle seat. Orbitz suggested I go to Deltas website and confirm the seats. I noticed the plane was booked 100% (economy class) except for a few middle seats. I noticed that I could upgrade to first class for a couple of hundred dollars more and decided to go ahead and do it. I've never flown first class before.

Do you get free drinks & extra snacks or is it just a more comfortable seat? I know I can board first if I want to. How about carry on restrictions? I am in seat A1 on all segments, does that mean I can't have a carry on and a laptop bag since there is no seat in front of me or will they allow me to stow two bags in the overhead?

If this works out I might try it again. My total cost for both legs was a little more than half of what I could buy a first class seat for today. I am only paying about 30 dollars more than the same flight on Southwest business fares would charge if I booked today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 04:46 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Free drinks, Free Snacks, Free Checked bags.

Same Carry on rules, But not enforced as much in 1st . 1 "Personal Item" 1 Carry on Bag (Most of the time you can do 2 personal Items, and 1 carry on)

Because there are so few people (you get to pre-board) in first class, There will be no issue with getting over head space for your bag & Carry on.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:10 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
I've gotten upgraded to 1st more times then I can count, being a plat ( I was just yesterday in fact). But yeah, free drinks, the luggage restriction for carry on (two bags) is the same but you generally have much more available space in first class. You get on first. More flight attendant attention. Some longer flights, where they will have peanuts or pretzels in coach, you will get a full meal. On shorter flights you may get the snack basket (choice of peanuts, pretzels, chocolate, banannas, and some other stuff) and take what you want. Just generally a better experience. Keep in mind you are still traveling in a stuffy metal tube, but it makes the experience almost bearable...almost. Flying still sucks, the suckage is just slightly less. The adult beverages help.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:16 PM

So the booze is free?

I am looking forward to the experience. Last flight back in October I was in an exit row and my knees were STILL hitting the seat in front of me.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:43 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
So the booze is free?

I am looking forward to the experience. Last flight back in October I was in an exit row and my knees were STILL hitting the seat in front of me.
The booze is free - that alone gets me through a flight. You will get a beverage as soon as you board. Order a Woodford - premium bourbon that Delta stocks. Also they will hang up your jacket so you don't have to stuff them up into the luggage bin.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The booze is free - that alone gets me through a flight. You will get a beverage as soon as you board. Order a Woodford - premium bourbon that Delta stocks. Also they will hang up your jacket so you don't have to stuff them up into the luggage bin.
Wow, that is odd. I rarely drink bourbon but on my last trip I happened to have two straight up Woodford reserve bourbons. It was really good stuff.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:18 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I booked a Thanksgiving trip on Orbitz back in September and got a pretty good deal on the tickets however for some reason on two segments my seats would not "confirm". I am 6'6" tall and there is no way I am sitting in a middle seat. Orbitz suggested I go to Deltas website and confirm the seats. I noticed the plane was booked 100% (economy class) except for a few middle seats. I noticed that I could upgrade to first class for a couple of hundred dollars more and decided to go ahead and do it. I've never flown first class before.

Do you get free drinks & extra snacks or is it just a more comfortable seat? I know I can board first if I want to. How about carry on restrictions? I am in seat A1 on all segments, does that mean I can't have a carry on and a laptop bag since there is no seat in front of me or will they allow me to stow two bags in the overhead?

If this works out I might try it again. My total cost for both legs was a little more than half of what I could buy a first class seat for today. I am only paying about 30 dollars more than the same flight on Southwest business fares would charge if I booked today.
Being 6'6" you might want to see if there are any other seats available in first class. Being in the first row you will probably have a bulkhead in front of you and will probably find the leg room to be quite cramped. Even it you can just move to the seat next to 1A will help as you can then sort of stretch your legs out into the aisle.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:18 AM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I've gotten upgraded to 1st more times then I can count, being a plat ( I was just yesterday in fact). But yeah, free drinks, the luggage restriction for carry on (two bags) is the same but you generally have much more available space in first class. You get on first. More flight attendant attention. Some longer flights, where they will have peanuts or pretzels in coach, you will get a full meal. On shorter flights you may get the snack basket (choice of peanuts, pretzels, chocolate, banannas, and some other stuff) and take what you want. Just generally a better experience. Keep in mind you are still traveling in a stuffy metal tube, but it makes the experience almost bearable...almost. Flying still sucks, the suckage is just slightly less. The adult beverages help.
When there is a full meal in first class there is usually a menu with a choice of at least 2 different ones to choose from.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:13 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,735,558 times
You didn't say where you'll be flying. In my experience, domestic / short haul trips (5 hours or less) typically are not worth paying for the upgrades. You get a bit more food and room, but that's about it. For long haul flights, the food is better (as others have mentioned, complete with menu for 2-3 choices), warm towel service and free booze. For your height though, it's going to be worth it just for the extra room alone. Plus, no crying babies around you

Old 11-03-2014, 09:55 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
First Class is real fun you'll actually enjoy flying. To enhance your experience, let the steerage passengers queue up before you get ready to board and then strut to the front of the line while you loudly proclaim "Make a hole!, Make a hole!...Royalty coming through" as you walk to the boarding gate. Those businessmen that no longer are allowed to fly 1st class really hate that.

During the flight stick your head through the curtains separating you from coach and say "hi-ya Ladies and Germs"

they swore us to secrecy but this is a picture I took of the 1st Class compartment during my last flight...
Attached Thumbnails
Flying first class on Delta questions?-1st-class-party.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel