Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 07:20 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,439 times

Advertisements

I recently lost my trusty laptop case and so am looking to replace. I am looking for a backpack that will hold a 17 inch laptop that I can use as my "personal item" when travelling in addition to my carry-on suitcase. Any suggestions for under $50?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 08:27 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
I recently lost my trusty laptop case and so am looking to replace. I am looking for a backpack that will hold a 17 inch laptop that I can use as my "personal item" when travelling in addition to my carry-on suitcase. Any suggestions for under $50?
I bought a nice one at REI one time. I think it was around $39.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:09 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Mine is by Solo. I do not remember what I paid. It's about three years old and holding up well so far. It is fairly big, but it will fit under the seat in front of me.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:12 AM

556 posts, read 946,500 times
You can also get any standard backpack that suits you and use a separate laptop sleeve. I have a North Face "Borealis" pack and use a targus neoprene sleeve that opens on the short end. When going through security, I leave the sleeve in the bag, and just pull the laptop out for screening, which makes it easy to slip the laptop back in after screening. By using a separate bag ans sleeve, I can use the bag without my laptop (i.e. hiking, day trips), and I can use the sleeve with other bags.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:01 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
It's a little bit more than your $50 limit (though not much, and it's free shipping), but this one has the Checkpoint Friendly feature. I travel frequently for work, and it's honestly my favorite thing about my laptop bag. I don't have to futz around with my laptop and risk forgetting it or someone picking it up. It stays in the bag, I just unzip and lay the bag flat.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:24 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,389,117 times
I have one from Alienware. It has a hard shell on the outside to protect the computer and the materials are first class.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:42 AM

304 posts, read 1,019,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
It's a little bit more than your $50 limit (though not much, and it's free shipping), but this one has the Checkpoint Friendly feature. I travel frequently for work, and it's honestly my favorite thing about my laptop bag. I don't have to futz around with my laptop and risk forgetting it or someone picking it up. It stays in the bag, I just unzip and lay the bag flat.
I travel with a laptop a fair amount for work and I used to have an earlier model or similar of this one and it was my favorite laptop bag until I got the SwissGear Ibex Notebook Backpack a few years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Wenger-GA-7316.../dp/B000VOC90Y

The Ibex seems a bit more padded and sturdy and I actually like not having the zippers go all the way down because once you overfill it and the zipper teeth begin to not stay interlocked the bag becomes a bit "unreliable" (just my personal preference though).

I'd say that just about anything SwissGear (Wenger) is pretty much solid though so you really can't go wrong with whichever one you pick!

Old 07-09-2014, 11:27 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM_W&M06 View Post
The Ibex seems a bit more padded and sturdy and I actually like not having the zippers go all the way down because once you overfill it and the zipper teeth begin to not stay interlocked the bag becomes a bit "unreliable" (just my personal preference though).
The zippers that go all the way down the side don't get strained because nothing goes in the part that the zipper encloses. There's the front section for all your "stuff", the back section that holds only the laptop, and the zipper down the sides simply connects the two sections. Putting anything in between the two would defeat the purpose of having a checkpoint friendly bag.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:53 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Check out ebags.com. They have lots of choices, and their own brand has held up well for us, at a bargain price.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:12 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
This one, from Case Logic, has been great for us. Best part is that it can be used as a back pack, or it has small handles that can be used to put it on top of a carry on suitcase. Not the most comfortable backpack that I've ever worn, but the various pockets and zippers and size of the thing really make up for that difference. And it fits other stuff, like makeup, jewelry, underwear, even with my 17" laptop inside. Highly recommended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel