Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 10:23 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times

Advertisements

Driving up Highway 160 to the Grand Canyon gives you the opportunity to visit Page and have a tour through Antelope Canyon. It'll knock your socks off. Every bit as impressive as the big one only in a different way.

If you take I40 east past Winslow you come to the National Petrified Forest. I walked through there last fall and was stunned by the brilliant colors in the wood turned to stone.

Be advised Flagstaff is one very windy place so bring your hairbrush.

We stopped at a little truck stop between Flagstaff and Winslow and they had a sign next to the cash register that said, "Yes, it's always this windy."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 10:43 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Driving up Highway 160 to the Grand Canyon gives you the opportunity to visit Page and have a tour through Antelope Canyon. It'll knock your socks off. Every bit as impressive as the big one only in a different way.

If you take I40 east past Winslow you come to the National Petrified Forest. I walked through there last fall and was stunned by the brilliant colors in the wood turned to stone.

Be advised Flagstaff is one very windy place so bring your hairbrush.

We stopped at a little truck stop between Flagstaff and Winslow and they had a sign next to the cash register that said, "Yes, it's always this windy."
I had initially made that must-see, but I read somewhere that in December the sun doesn't get inside the canyon and it's not as picturesque. Can you clarify that?

Old 07-17-2014, 11:14 AM

168 posts, read 198,821 times
To be honest you won't have time to do all that stuff in one week unless you spend only 1 hour in each place and the majority of your time driving.

Canyonlands is 6 hours from flag. Tombstone is 4:45 the other direction.

Personally, I'd skip tombstone but it sounds like that is a special thing for you.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:19 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Montezuma Castle cliff dwellings in Camp Verde (between Flagstaff and Phoenix)

Montezuma Castle

Remember to bring snow apparel in Flafstaff and shorts when in Phoenix/Tucson

Old 07-17-2014, 01:11 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I had initially made that must-see, but I read somewhere that in December the sun doesn't get inside the canyon and it's not as picturesque. Can you clarify that?
Sorry, I haven't been there in the winter. It was late September when I was there.

The canyons would still be awe-inspiring but, yes, without the sun shining down you'd miss their full glory.

As invested as you are in Tombstone I guess I'd suggest that for this trip.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:14 PM

42 posts, read 53,399 times
im not sure how much driving your guys are willing to do, but the antelope canyon is just north of grand canyon, you can also make a trip to the hoover dam or even las vegas.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:15 PM

Yeah, that's something we aren't going to miss out on.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdai View Post
im not sure how much driving your guys are willing to do, but the antelope canyon is just north of grand canyon, you can also make a trip to the hoover dam or even las vegas.

Been to Vegas & Hoover many times, we are actually doing this trip in lieu of our yearly Vegas trip during NASCAR week. But good ideas just the same!

Old 07-17-2014, 01:30 PM

42 posts, read 53,399 times
zion and bryce? or even arches? there are so many things you can see on the west coast.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:32 PM

168 posts, read 198,821 times
Bryce is too cold in the winter and the roads often close due to snow.
The shuttles in Zion and most of springdale will be shut down.
Honestly flag will be pretty cold at that time too.

I'd probably check out saguaro in tucson since you'll be down that way. The desert museum is pretty cool as is the Xavier mission. Bisbee is interesting too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel