Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 08:23 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times

Advertisements

It sounded like it happened more than once, and it was likely painful for the woman. So rudely (rather than discretely) calling attention to her and the fact that she was having difficulty jumping up and down would be humiliating.

It can be handled discretely to the satisfaction of everyone involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 10:57 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
The tradeoff for a coach aisle seat is that you don't get control of the window shade, and that you're probably going to have to move out of the way for your aislemates more than other seat options on any flight longer than an hour. I know that the social contract is dead in most aspects of American life these days, but when you're talking a relatively small flying box, it works best for everyone if you bring it back into play and create an environment that's as least stressful as you can get. Which includes not being a jerk to the detriment of the bladders of others.

On the flip side, I know people who are diabetic and who pick aisle seats specifically because they know they'll have to get up often to pee and it disturbs other passengers least, even though they'd really rather have a window seat.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:33 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
You must have stopped reading after a couple paragraphs.

17" is the same width plane seats were 20-30 years ago. SO no, they aren't reducing the size, people are just getting fatter. Take the cheeseburger out of your mouth and go for a walk. It will do you good.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:34 AM

Quote:
You don't think it would be humiliating her? That says a lot about you.
Personally I'd be humiliated to be such a jerk that I refused to stand to let someone out to use the rest room.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:36 AM

Quote:
It sounded like it happened more than once, and it was likely painful for the woman. So rudely (rather than discretely) calling attention to her and the fact that she was having difficulty jumping up and down would be humiliating.

It can be handled discretely to the satisfaction of everyone involved.
So how could it be handled discretely? You push the call button and tell the FA, "This woman won't move so my daughter can use the rest room." Are you suggesting mental telepathy should be used? Getting up and down is painful? Well, so is needing to use the rest room. The cow was an ass. If she wasn't going to be able to get up and down, she should have booked a window seat.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The tradeoff for a coach aisle seat is that you don't get control of the window shade, and that you're probably going to have to move out of the way for your aislemates more than other seat options on any flight longer than an hour. I know that the social contract is dead in most aspects of American life these days, but when you're talking a relatively small flying box, it works best for everyone if you bring it back into play and create an environment that's as least stressful as you can get. Which includes not being a jerk to the detriment of the bladders of others.

On the flip side, I know people who are diabetic and who pick aisle seats specifically because they know they'll have to get up often to pee and it disturbs other passengers least, even though they'd really rather have a window seat.
If you don't want the shade open, wear an eye mask. Problem solved.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:02 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,466,823 times
If there are only two seats, don't both the passengers have an equal say about the position of the center arm rest? If the fat person wants it up and I want it down, by sheer size, he/she wins the argument! :-(

Old 07-25-2014, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
If there are only two seats, don't both the passengers have an equal say about the position of the center arm rest? If the fat person wants it up and I want it down, by sheer size, he/she wins the argument! :-(
There should be no reason to not have it down if you can fit into your seat. Armrest up is never going to win, as there is no logical reason for it.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:06 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
I'd rather sit beside a large person who slightly spills over onto my seat, than a yapper who won't shut up the whole flight.

I like to read and doze, and even with a book in my hands and my glasses on, or my head back and eyes closed, some people won't take a hint.

Another ignorant and irritating seatmate is a woman or man who wears perfume or cologne on a flight. Bring it with you and put it on AFTER the flight. Oh, and don't forget to wash and apply deodorant, and don't eat spicy, stinky food before your flight. A lot of people like myself, are extremely sensitive to ickky smells.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:44 AM

556 posts, read 946,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
So how could it be handled discretely? You push the call button and tell the FA, "This woman won't move so my daughter can use the rest room." Are you suggesting mental telepathy should be used? Getting up and down is painful? Well, so is needing to use the rest room. The cow was an ass. If she wasn't going to be able to get up and down, she should have booked a window seat.
In this specific case, the member of the party in the aisle seat could get up and find a flight attendant, probably near the galley. Then say politely and in a normal tone of voice "the passenger in seat 4D is having trouble entering and exiting her seat, which is impeding my daughter's ability to use the restroom. I'm also concerned that her limited mobility will impede egress in the event of an emergency."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel