Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 07:04 AM

144 posts, read 184,523 times

Advertisements

Warm winters? Hmmm, I was thinking southern Spain but that could get pricey. Honestly, I can't think of anywhere better in the winter.:] You can keep it cheap if you stay in a hostel. Even cheaper if you're working at your vacation spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 07:31 AM

13,392 posts, read 28,695,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Out of curiosity, I did a quick Expedia search for 7 days in January in Punta Cana, and found 42 resorts that came in at or under $1500 pp (flight from Fargo, hotel, taxes and fees)

(Now if you'll excuse me, I think I have a vacation to plan )
That's what I said..the DR, suprised you found 42, now do you search for NICER islands like St Lucia, Aruba, Barbados etc and remember to keep it all inclusive.

The DR imo is the dump of the Caribbean....

Last edited by njkate; 07-30-2014 at 07:40 AM..

Old 07-30-2014, 07:42 AM

607 posts, read 1,215,881 times
Default New Orleans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Bahamas is not reliably warm in January and it's not that great except for Paradise Island.
And Bermuda is plain out cold that time of year as its in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean at l 32 deg N.
Best bang for a buck is a 7 day cruise out of FL to the Carribean the first week after Jan1.
Except for Hawaii and SoFla most of the US has cold to cooler temps.

But if warm weather is not an issue, how about N'awlins LA?
It's not terribly far from ND and has a very wonderful mixed-cultural vibe, great food and lots of party people.

Come to think of it I'm going there Dec 26 - Jan 2 !
But you'll get better rates after Xmas I'm sure.

I've been to the Bahamas and New Orleans in January and the weather was great in both! I did some swimming in the Bahamas and just wore a light sweater while sightseeing in New Orleans. I had a great time in both places! How long of are you planning to go away for? I think you could do a week in either location for around $3k.

If your gf doesn't want to travel outside of the country, I think New Orleans is a great choice! I did a 4 day weekend there and it cost us around $1500 for everything (flights, airfare, food, cabs and 4 nights hotel) for 2 ppl but we were flying from Chicago and DC. I've never flown from ND though...I imagine that the flights are more expensive.

I'd recommend using the Kayak.com trip tool. You can put in a month, max price you want to pay and your departure airport and it will give you all the places you can fly to within budget!

Old 07-30-2014, 07:50 AM

13,392 posts, read 28,695,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snd485 View Post
I've been to the Bahamas and New Orleans in January and the weather was great in both! I did some swimming in the Bahamas and just wore a light sweater while sightseeing in New Orleans. I had a great time in both places! How long of are you planning to go away for? I think you could do a week in either location for around $3k.

If your gf doesn't want to travel outside of the country, I think New Orleans is a great choice! I did a 4 day weekend there and it cost us around $1500 for everything (flights, airfare, food, cabs and 4 nights hotel) for 2 ppl but we were flying from Chicago and DC. I've never flown from ND though...I imagine that the flights are more expensive.

I'd recommend using the Kayak.com trip tool. You can put in a month, max price you want to pay and your departure airport and it will give you all the places you can fly to within budget!
Hmm instead of always always booking United I'm going to try that myself

Old 07-30-2014, 08:50 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,938,238 times
Why are you looking for January specifically? Do you want warm weather or cold weather? If you are looking for cheap places, I'd suggest Montana, since it only involve driving for you and hotels are cheap. If cold weather is acceptable, then you can also venture further north into Canada, specifically Alberta. If you want the hot weather, I recommend TX, especially Houston, but you'll still get temps in the 40s-50s, however, there are many things to do that are quite inexpensive or free: museums, the Johnson Space Center, excellent restaurants, beautiful gardens, etc. You can also go the bed and breakfast route for accomodations. They are usually smaller, more personalized, the rooms are nicer, plus you get a decent breakfast included with your room.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:44 PM

17,533 posts, read 15,173,111 times
Smoky Mountains is pretty cheap that time of year. River Terrace Resort & Convention Center - Westgate Resorts I found on a travel site through USAA for $572 for 7 nights.

Hilton Head/Charleston, SC it'd be the offseason and decently cheap.

What are you looking for though? Warm weather? Skiing?

Old 07-30-2014, 01:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,592,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanCarlson13 View Post
The girlfriend and I are planning on a vacation at the very beginning of January for at least 7 days. She mentioned San Francisco, and I looked it up and that's an expensive time to go (hotels and taxi fees will run about $400 a day). I am 25 and she is 21. We are from Fargo ND.
Last week we went to florida (Clearwater and Daytona Beach).
My budget is about $3,000 with flights (can get fairly cheap flights).
I was thinking maybe San Juan, Puerto Rico (don't really know much about it yet), maybe LA, maybe Florida Keys, just need ideas on nice vacations that aren't too expensive in January.
Any info helps!
Thanks so much!
Jordan

Oh also, maybe Dominican Republic?
did you give up on the idea of a cruise? Early Jan cruises are fairly inexpensive but most everything else in So. Fl and the Caribbean are pricey. From Christmas until Easter is high season in both Florida and the Caribbean. Yes, DR is a thought with some decent AI, but be careful. Many are not that great and many really do not include everything. Check the prices, call your TA or the resort and see what the true price is. I say this because I know from experience; DR all inclusives do not always work the same as others and some that look great turn out to be in need of upgrading when you get to the resort. In order to have a nice, 7 day vacation on $3,000 you might need to choose a location that is in low season. You should be able to do a cruise for $3,000 without counting some additional expenses. If you choose a lower priced line, find a TA that offers some type of perk, get cheap air fare and are willing to do the inside cabin you can swing it. Another thought would be a 5 day cruise. They are less expensive for obvious reasons. I have now read that girlfriend isn't excited about the idea of cruising; so much for that.

Also the idea of Los Angeles isn't a bad one either. it can be chilly but certainly, unless they have an unusual winter it will seem like summer coming from ND. I was born and raised in Los Angles. There are lots of things to do that won't put a huge dent in your budget. I think you would want to rent a car for the week. You will need a windbreaker or light jacket at night, or being those sweat shirts. But you could also hit the Santa Ana wind temps, which occur every year in Jan. If so the temps will be in the 70s to high 80s. but that is usually around the later part of January. Our kids swan competitively year around in S. Cal and most of the time they were outdoor pools. You are right, San Francisco, though a wonderful place to visit is very expensive. I don't think as high as you thought, but $3000 wouldn't go too far.

I really think your idea on L.A. is a good one, especially if you are thinking Orange County area. You can try and get a hotel that includes some sort of dinner and breakfast daily or most days, get the best air you can, and rent a car. There is no way to do L.A. whether you spend the entire week in the Orange county area or what, without a car.

Last edited by nmnita; 07-30-2014 at 01:39 PM..

Old 07-30-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
Southeast Asia: Thailand, Vietnam, Laos....if you can get a decently-priced flight, your money goes very far there.
have you checked airfare lately? There is no way they could have a really good vacation on $3000 including air fare. yes, you are right, the cost of vacationing in that part of the world is much less expensive but the air along would eat up half their money easily.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Florida Keys are expensive. LA won't be warm in January. Puerto Rico might work. How about a cruise?
He has already posted on the cruise board just last week..

Old 07-30-2014, 03:35 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,397,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
have you checked airfare lately? There is no way they could have a really good vacation on $3000 including air fare. yes, you are right, the cost of vacationing in that part of the world is much less expensive but the air along would eat up half their money easily.
You're right, I missed the $3K budget--just read the part where the OP said he could get cheap flights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel