Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 02:00 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times

Advertisements

A cell phone and AAA road service, and you are good to go.

A lot of people try to use their roadside assistance through their credit card companies, etc. But, from what I understand the service is not as good as good old AAA. Spring for the premier plan so you can get towed up to 200 miles. Really worth the money.

Get your oil changed, get gas whenever you are at 1/2 tank, and you are good to go without worry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 03:25 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,125 times
If your schedule allows it you might want to consider hitting the road earlier than noon. Departing at noon will probably put you at your destination well after dark. Since this is your first solo long distance trip fatigue could very well be an issue. Driving after it gets dark only adds to the fatigue.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
If your schedule allows it you might want to consider hitting the road earlier than noon. Departing at noon will probably put you at your destination well after dark. Since this is your first solo long distance trip fatigue could very well be an issue. Driving after it gets dark only adds to the fatigue.
Really good point. I prefer to drive during daylight hours, so I tend to leave before sunset. I do know that some people like to drive at night. I find the headlights coming at me to be stressful and affect my ability to see where I'm going (getting old lol!). But, some people love to drive at night because it's so peaceful. Depends on the kind of person you are.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:55 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,071,457 times
Since this is your first road trip, I'd suggest you arrive in San Antonio before dark. It's a little confusing finding your way around town in the dark. At least it usually is on the first time around.

Forgot to add: have a good time!

Old 07-31-2014, 09:08 AM

917 posts, read 1,382,908 times
In regards to AA, I know what they provide but do I need to sign up in advance? Or do I call them if something happens and provide my CC info?

Old 07-31-2014, 09:14 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Just in case you have road trouble in the middle of nowhere, it may take several hours for help to arrive. Be sure to have enough water (for that and also for the entire drive), and some food to tide you over. And some way to make shade for yourself (a beach umbrella or something like that).

Old 07-31-2014, 07:10 PM

503 posts, read 1,203,653 times
This trip will take longer than 9 hours. If you want to do this trip and get to your location by about 9pm. I suggest you leave very early in the morning. Something like 5 or 6am. That will give you enough time to stop and take breaks.

It would be very helpful if you had a GPS. I love my Garmin Nuvi.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:20 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Have a Plan B since this is your first trip. You might need to call it quits after six hours and check into a hotel. Figure out where you might stay if it's an issue.

Eight hours is about my limit, unless there is a truly pressing need to continue. I generally get on the road by sunrise and take a 15 minute break at two hours and then a 45 minute break at four hours, followed by another 15 minute break at the next two hour mark and then off the road after two more hours.

More than that and I'm not that safe.

Good luck and reconsider the audio books. Music can get wearing after about three hours.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:02 PM

Woops, I see my post said I leave before sunset. I meant sunrise.

You have to sign up for AAA before you can call them for help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel