Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 09:44 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,545,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Considering there are hills upto 3,000 feet here thats not even worth noting.
If you said that to someone who lives near the Rockies in the US they'd laugh and call it a hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 09:47 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
If you said that to someone who lives near the Rockies in the US they'd laugh and call it a hill.
The Canadian Rockies are actually more spectacular than the US Rockies in case you ever got a wild hair to visit them.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The Canadian Rockies are actually more spectacular than the US Rockies in case you ever got a wild hair to visit them.
We've thought about a train trip through Canada but that has moved down our list. Have a southwest trip on the list and also need to show my husband the west coast.

Big Earth. So little time to see it all!

Old 08-04-2014, 10:00 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,321 times
I guess I must be the lucky one here because the longest layover I've had was 8 hours (multiple times tho'). But luck is all what it is. I've transited European airports during snowstorms and I know that people from developing countries who travel to/from North America to their home country through Europe have been stranded in these airports for up to 3-4 days with no ability to exit the transit area and get a hotel (even on their own dime) due to not having visas and not being able to procure emergency visas. Why do you think a US passport or Canadian passport is so sought after? Holding a document like that enables you to spend those 3 days in a hotel bed and eating in a restaurant (and maybe doing some sightseeing as well), as opposed to sleeping homeless on an airport floor and eating peanuts, mayo and ketchup. Most developed countries don't offer emergency visas or temporary visas, so whenever you see the line "...passengers were housed in hotels", the fine print is that only passengers with American, Canadian, Aussie, British, EU, Kiwi, South Korean or Japanese passports were housed in hotels. The rest have no choice but to wallow on the airport floor for as long as it takes.

If you think all human beings were created equal, you just need to be in one of these trips and watch the passengers being segregated into "send to hotels" and "imprison in airport" groups, and tell me whether that statement is indeed true...

The Middle East is even worse for this. I remember reading about a planeload of passengers arriving from the U.S into Kuwait City who missed their connecting flight to India. Some of the passengers were US citizens and the rest were Indian citizens. The former were immediately sent to hotels, while the second group reported being assaulted by airport security guards and had their passports confiscated until it was time to catch the replacement flight.

Last edited by arctic_gardener; 08-04-2014 at 10:09 AM..

Old 08-04-2014, 02:29 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,775,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcrash619 View Post
Tomorrow I'm going to be stuck at Houston Hobby for nearly 6 hours (assuming theres no delays!). Gonna have to get comfortable there .
I vaguely remember a time when I was little we were at an airport all night because of a bad storm, but I don't know how long it was. What's the longest you've been stuck at an airport?
Overnight, so ~12 hours. Got stuck in Denver when I missed my connecting flight due to a weather-related late departure.

Nothing like tying up all of my stuff with string (yes, I brought string with me, JUST IN CASE!!) and intertwining my limbs in the handles and such so that any attempt on anyone's part to disturb my stuff while I was sleeping on the airport bench would result in my immediate awakening. I also managed to have my headphones come out of one of my bags, with my Discman at the top so I could control it from outside of the bag, while still keeping the bag securely zipped and tied. 'Tis nice to have a reasonable helping of cleverness!

Old 08-04-2014, 02:52 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
8 hour layover in Miami on the way to Aruba, and a 7 hour layover on the way back to Chicago. I hate that stupid airport!

Old 08-04-2014, 03:20 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
By the way, instead of being a tourist you should have taken a little drive. About five miles from where you were staying begins the rolling hills of Lake County which is far from flat. You also missed the glamorous areas because frankly they are gated to keep the tourists out. We don't tell the tourists about best places in Orlando, because we don't want them to become just another tourist trap. How do you like them apples?
As someone who thinks that Orlando can be a pretty awesome mid-sized metro area outside of the airport-theme park tourist containment zone SW of town could you please not let the secret out? Do you want the tourists roaming free northward and wrecking some currently really nice spots? (I'm not a gated community fan, but dig what you can find on the north side of town in many a small commercial area or town square)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
People who owns planes and porsches do NOT fly economy class.
My Uncle Rainman was a factory quality control guy before he retired and lives in a house maybe two steps above a doublewide. But he was a serial private plane owner before he felt like he got too old to fly safely- it's not necessarily a lot of money to get your first prop plane and then you start trading up from there after a little while. Toward the end, it was the fuel costs that were getting him if he wanted to go a couple hundred miles to a bigger fly-in than any of the other carrying costs of the plane.

As for Porsches, can be surprisingly reasonably priced if you buy late model used so hardly a class marker like you'd think, unlike some of the Italian supercars.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:35 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcrash619 View Post
Tomorrow I'm going to be stuck at Houston Hobby for nearly 6 hours (assuming theres no delays!). Gonna have to get comfortable there .
I vaguely remember a time when I was little we were at an airport all night because of a bad storm, but I don't know how long it was. What's the longest you've been stuck at an airport?
The longest for me was about 12 hours in Amsterdam. We had an 8 hour layover planned but the delay ended up being about 12 due to birds being sucked into the engine.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:17 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,653 times
About 20 hours at Detroit Metro. All connecting flights to Boston were cancelled due to heavy fog. Worst part is we had just got off a plane from Tokyo, so just wanted to get home after such a long flight. Spent the night at a dirty motel the airline gave us in Dearborn. The room was filthy.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:47 PM

We missed out on this blizzard by one day so could have had a very long delay!!

Remembering the Great Blizzard of 2003

We flew from the UK to Fort Myers, Florida in Feb. 2003 via Philly(?). Woke up the first morning and switched on the tv to see that the east coast was buried under snow and people were stranded at airports. If we'd flown a day earlier we'd have been f*cked!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel