Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 01:46 AM

80 posts, read 146,512 times

Advertisements

It's tight. I've missed connections that close, and I've made others. I've never tried calling the airline, but that's a great idea to get a longer layover. Check your bag all the way to your final destination and bring a small carry on, light enough to run with, and pack an extra outfit in case your bag doesn't make the connection. When you check in ask if there are any open seats close to the exit, so you can get off the plane quickly, and if you don't get a closer seat talk to one of the attendants. They are usually good about getting people off the plane that need to quick. good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 04:57 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You guys are awesome. Annerk, yes both legs are w/Delta. What I didn't think of & what someone mentioned is that I might make the flight but my luggage won't. I mean, if I could miss it w/only a 45 min layover, how will my luggage make it?? And my flight out of Managua to Big Corn Island leaves at 6 the next morning. Surely if my luggage misses that ATL flight it won't get to Managua by 6 the next morning. This trip to Little Corn Island has been a pain in the ass to plan & correlate times. Thanks for the advice about telling the agents about the tight time frame, I will definitely do that!
You'd be surprised at how fast they transfer luggage. I do agree that you should have a carry on with a few days clothes and other essentials. If your luggage doesn't make it, they will get it to you, although it could take a few days to a week. Be sure that it's well labeled as to your final destination--put a piece of paper with your itinerary inside, and make sure that your name and phone number is clearly visible on the outside. Having both flights with Delta will definitely help move the baggage along faster at the airport.

What I don't agree with on the previous post is that by being nice you'll get a seat "up front." Not going to happen. There is a very specific set of criteria for moving passengers to first class, and unless you paid a full fare or have FF status, the first seats will go empty of be filled with an unaccompanied minor, military member traveling in uniform, or deadheading crew. What you might be able to get is a seat further towards the front, although it could very well be a center seat.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Ask the flight attendant on your first flight - I did that when flying to ATL with a short layover. The flight attendant had someone close to the front change seats with me for landing so I could fly out the door. I made it fine. Have everything totally organized (with terminal map printed out) and go like hell!

PS make sure you have some essentials in your hand luggage (soap, tooth brush, shirt, panties etc.) It's amazing how you can travel with tiny samples of things you use daily.
Not sure how you got someone up front to take a rear seat--I wouldn't do it. Usually people pay more for those seats and aren't going to give them up. The only thing I can think of was that the person who traded with you was a non-rev.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
I wouldn't wish OJ Simpson shoes on anybody for one thing they either don't fit or you are guilty
I'm guessing you're under age 40 and didn't understand the reference.

For the record...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z_VpVaPLWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W1hnR3kLwo

Old 08-05-2014, 05:03 AM

One other thing--they usually close the door early for internationals, although if they know someone is connecting they will give them as much time as possible to get there. They will not however, take a late for that person. The only exception is a top tier frequent flyer.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:46 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
So basically, I shouldn't have any checked luggage, just a carry on. Terrific. Ok, I'll call Delta & see what they can do. When I booked these tickets I vaguely noticed the layover time but not really. It wasn't until yesterday that I started thinkintg about it. Why on earth would Delta do these route times? They're the ones making them, don't they understand their own routes & layovers? Jeez.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:28 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
So basically, I shouldn't have any checked luggage, just a carry on. Terrific. Ok, I'll call Delta & see what they can do. When I booked these tickets I vaguely noticed the layover time but not really. It wasn't until yesterday that I started thinkintg about it. Why on earth would Delta do these route times? They're the ones making them, don't they understand their own routes & layovers? Jeez.
I think it is possible to have checked-in baggage as already said airlines are very efficient these days. With a 45 minute layover you need luck (meaning no delays on your first flight), to be vigilant about getting off your first flight in a hurry upon arrival in Atlanta and quickly running to the boarding gate of your second/connecting flight. Good luck!

Old 08-05-2014, 08:35 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
My concern with MKE flights, though I love the airport, is that there are often thunderstorm delays. Seems like I have them every other flight in and out of MKE which I do a couple of times a year.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:58 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
My concern with MKE flights, though I love the airport, is that there are often thunderstorm delays. Seems like I have them every other flight in and out of MKE which I do a couple of times a year.
MKE on average is good about not having delay, I've heard this thru various people. I'm just going to call Delta & see if I can get an earlier flight out of MKE so I arrive in ATL w/a longer layover than just 45 mins. I'm just too nervous about not making the flight or my luggage not making it. I'm assuming I will not have a problem changing flights, I understand there will be a fee, even though I booked this ticket on Travelocity & not directly thru Delta, correct?

Old 08-05-2014, 09:01 AM

60 posts, read 131,231 times
Once in ATL, you should be getting off the flight, heading to the tram (they come every few seconds and are easily labelled) and going straight to your new gate. You will not be picking up any luggage. I have been in airports all over the world and ATL is my favorite because it is so easy to navigate. Walk briskly and you should be fine! Hold on when you are on the tram, it starts and stops abruptly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel