Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 07:46 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times

Advertisements

I must say I am boggled by the degree of outrage expressed in this thread.

On a recent trip I could not find lodging in a town where I expected it. Oh yeah, there were a couple of high priced inns but that's not my style or budget. So I slept in a parking lot behind a church. Certainly safer than driving on through the night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 01:21 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
...when someone hasn't showered for 30 hours or longer. They might not have typical BO, but they have a "dirty" smell about them--not to mention often greasy hair.
I installed a Hot Shower in my $35 car that gets 50 mpg on free cooking oil (no fuel costs, plenty of room to sleep stretched out.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post

...So I slept in a parking lot behind a church. Certainly safer than driving on through the night.
Oh ya... naysayers a plenty lurk here to try to intimidate those not staying in 5 stars. (BTW...It's not working... except to derail a thread and espouse their lack of adventure / and build their conformity! (Lots of Gov retirees have time to post here, and money to travel).

I have stayed at many parking lots of churches / funeral homes / veterinary office, (quiet). But as a commercial driver, I prefer to drive at night (between 'view' destinations.) I can always catch a nap during the day at a nice hotel lobby or library, or even in my car (after a nice hot shower!).

Here is a new shower invention, very simple. Mine is a bit more complex (and dependable) Motoraid HWH
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...d-hot-water-on.

I have been known to have some decent 'showers' in places like the Yellowstone River.. (But I prefer a 'hot-springs') BTDT for 50+ yrs of 'back-country adventures'.

Feels as good as any 5* shower, and is over and back on the road in a few minutes!
Google Image Result for http://www.furniturefashion.com/image/2009/09/Serpentine%2520Garden%2520and%2520Outdoor%2520Show er.jpg

Old 08-22-2014, 06:04 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Never in this conversation is it mentioned that the driving itself is statisticly the most dangerous activity.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Never in this conversation is it mentioned that the driving itself is statisticly the most dangerous activity.
And even worse at night (when I choose to drive).

Fortunately I see far fewer drinking deaths than when commercial driving in the 70's.

Fatigue crashes are up.

'Distractions' have skyrocketed! (A Best friend (teacher) got killed on his bike by a texting (former) student)

Old 08-23-2014, 02:32 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,002,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Fatigue crashes are up.
More and more I get fatigued when driving. Fortunatly I recognize the symptoms when fatigue is setting in and I pull over for a snooze. Usually a 15 minute snooze works. However more than once that 15 minute snooze ended up lasting 2 or 3 hours.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:43 AM

158 posts, read 305,718 times
[quote=creeksitter;36186746]I must say I am boggled by the degree of outrage expressed in this thread.

Crazy isn't it? It's the biggest reason I really don't post to often, some people just can't deal with the fact that not everyone shares the same point of view.
That being said I've done plenty of long distance drives in the last few years, LA to Austin, TX (twice), LA to Cocoa Beach, FL, LA to Omaha,NE and several others. I've slept in my car in lots of different areas, mcdonalds parking lot, church parking lots, parked outside of cemetaries, rest areas, wal-mart/target parking lots etc.. I've pulled off of the highway onto some of those middle of nowhere country roads and slept in my car with coyotes howling nearby and deer everywhere with a clear sky full of stars above.
I've not once had any problems anywhere I've decided to catch a few z's in the car, never... not saying it doesn't happen, it just hasn't happened to me.
Btw my car is definitely not a car designed to sleep in, it's a convertible 2dr sports car/350Z... lots of fun to take these trips in but not so much fun to sleep in, but when you're tired and feeling like you're about to nod off you have to do what you have to do.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:54 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,298 times
[quote=Robou;36242480]
Quote:

Crazy isn't it? It's the biggest reason I really don't post to often, some people just can't deal with the fact that not everyone shares the same point of view.
That being said I've done plenty of long distance drives in the last few years, LA to Austin, TX (twice), LA to Cocoa Beach, FL, LA to Omaha,NE and several others. I've slept in my car in lots of different areas, mcdonalds parking lot, church parking lots, parked outside of cemetaries, rest areas, wal-mart/target parking lots etc.. I've pulled off of the highway onto some of those middle of nowhere country roads and slept in my car with coyotes howling nearby and deer everywhere with a clear sky full of stars above.
I've not once had any problems anywhere I've decided to catch a few z's in the car, never... not saying it doesn't happen, it just hasn't happened to me.
Btw my car is definitely not a car designed to sleep in, it's a convertible 2dr sports car/350Z... lots of fun to take these trips in but not so much fun to sleep in, but when you're tired and feeling like you're about to nod off you have to do what you have to do.
I have slept in a sleeping bag next to my motorcycle all over the Western US and still am alive. Mosty some quiet place a bit out of town.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:29 PM

158 posts, read 305,718 times
[quote=GER308;36268854]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robou View Post

I have slept in a sleeping bag next to my motorcycle all over the Western US and still am alive. Mosty some quiet place a bit out of town.
A lot of times I've parked my car and slept in a sleeping bag in the grass at a rest stop or even on a table top, usually late at night/very early in the morning, because it's hard to get much decent rest in a cramped 2 seater sports car.
I've done the motorcycle thing to many years ago...slept in some pretty out of the way places! Great memories from that time!

Old 08-28-2014, 09:20 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,499,104 times
It amuses me too that some people can't handle sleeping in your car on a long trip. Who cares if he doesn't shower for 3 days lmao he's going to be by himself in his car.

Anyway, OP, I have driven from AR to SC/NC and back several times, NJ to AR and back, NC to FL, AR to MN, you get the point. I have never had any problems parking in hotel parking lots and sleeping. I've done it every time. Only stayed in 1 hotel on a long trip, and that was from NJ to AR we stayed somewhere because my girlfriend didn't want to sleep in the car. I suggest a hotel parking lot. Holiday Inn or Days inn or whatevs! I also don't see why a police station would say no. Why would they?

Old 08-29-2014, 12:28 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,116,314 times
I'd say the 24 hr Wal Mart parking lot would be the safest. At least if something happens, you can run out & into the store for help.

Truck stops and rest stops especially in the South would be a little sketchy in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel