Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 11:01 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times

Advertisements

IHG actually gives free internet now to anyone who signs up for their frequent guest program, status or not. And a lot of programs offer check in and out wiggle room on their no-status tier as well. Seems like a lot of the rest of things mentioned are either well known (who doesn't understand the minibar fees at this point?), involve actually using servies in the business center, or the dread resort fee that is usually easy enough to figure out at time of booking.

And the budget business end of the industry (Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Courtyard, etc.) remains competitive enough that the worst they're likely to hit you with is a parking fee in an urban location. Full service properties are more likely to nickle and dime you because a lot of their customer base is traveling on Other People's Money and presumed not to notice the little charges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 11:06 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
I noticed this safe charge added on the bill. I also noticed the charge for the USA Today newspaper that hardly any guests read (including myself). You do get charged whether you use these items or not. I get really mad about getting charged for things I don't authorize. Although I'm not sure, it smacks of illegality to be charged for items you don't authorize. In any event, I get the charges removed. And I never pay for hotel wi-fi. Internet service at hotels is notoriously poor, I've noticed.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:11 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
but many of us have so many that we donate a weeks worth to charity every year.)
Quote:
You can be gold with Hilton just by carrying the branded AmEx and spending $20K (?) a year on it. Marriott has a similar co-branded card.

Neither of these are in bailiwick of 95%+ of the population. This is the land of the elite that thinks they're the norm. They are not.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:11 AM

627 posts, read 1,058,342 times
We've run into this with Red Roof Inn. Their policy is to charge you $1.50 per night as an extra fee to use the safe. You can get out of it if you tell them you didn't use the safe, but only if you go up at check-out and get them to change the bill.

If you try to tell them you don't want to use it at check-in, they spout something along the lines of this (which was on TripAdvisor as a response to a complaint):
Quote:
So as not to invade the privacy of our guests, we do not ask of their intent to use this service but rather allow each guest to make that decision in the convenience and privacy of their own room.
So clearly a cash grab. Hard to believe it's worth it for them.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:42 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think that is her point: watch out: I know a lot of hotels, in resort areas are adding daily resort fees. They have been doing this for a few years whether you use the resort facilities like the pool makes no difference. Many chains used to offer free internet service in the meeting room area, most don't anymore.

Mel: it doesn't make any difference if we are talking high end or not, some locations add them automatically.

annerk: many people do not travel enough to build up frequent guests points plus, no, not all will wave the fees regardless: some yes, again only for the most frequent guests.
It's going to be interesting. Historically, a resort fee was automatically added on to your bill (daily) to take the place of tipping. Made it more convenient to hang out by the pool or the beach without having to bring your wallet so you could tip the towel boy, the cabana attendant, the poolside cocktail waitress, etc.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:58 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Neither of these are in bailiwick of 95%+ of the population. This is the land of the elite that thinks they're the norm. They are not.
I disagree. How many people don't spend $20K a year for gas, clothing, groceries, entertainment, cell phones, various utility bills, car/home owners insurance, etc. for them and their family? Very few.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackfu View Post
We've run into this with Red Roof Inn. Their policy is to charge you $1.50 per night as an extra fee to use the safe. You can get out of it if you tell them you didn't use the safe, but only if you go up at check-out and get them to change the bill.

If you try to tell them you don't want to use it at check-in, they spout something along the lines of this (which was on TripAdvisor as a response to a complaint):

So clearly a cash grab. Hard to believe it's worth it for them.
I think this is a BS policy, but then again Red Roof Inns are pretty nasty and I wouldn't stay at one. There are a ton of other options, perhaps those who don't like the policies at any give hotel chain should speak with their wallet and stay elsewhere?

Old 08-26-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
It's going to be interesting. Historically, a resort fee was automatically added on to your bill (daily) to take the place of tipping. Made it more convenient to hang out by the pool or the beach without having to bring your wallet so you could tip the towel boy, the cabana attendant, the poolside cocktail waitress, etc.
Actually a resort fee was for the extra amenities provided at a resort--tips were extra. I've had daily SERVICE fees added to cover tips to housekeeping, pool attendants (not servers), and bell services. Big difference.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:06 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
I disagree. How many people don't spend $20K a year for gas, clothing, groceries, entertainment, cell phones, various utility bills, car/home owners insurance, etc. for them and their family? Very few.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:33 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,176,348 times
Just use an AMEX when you pay and dispute any charges you disagree with. I've had to do it on numerous occasions. It holds up their entire payment for 6-8 weeks. The hotel is caught between a rock and a hard place because AMEX will always side with the consumer in cases where services are charged for and not rendered. And, no hotelier (or airline) in their right mind (in the US) can drop AMEX as a credit source because that is what the business community largely uses. They charge these nickel-dime BS items to you only if you allow them to get away with it.

Basically, two can play at that game and, provided you're persistent, you carry much of the advantage. I've even had a hotel manager tell me that I was being unreasonable by disputing the charges because "AMEX is very hard to deal with." I said, "Why do you think I use them as a creditor whenever possible?" The next day, the charges were removed by the hotel and I authorized the correct amount to be released a few days later. It may not be much, but use the power you have. Credit card companies rely on you for their livelihood, not the businesses you patronize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel