Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2014, 04:34 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,240,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Once. The message got through loud and clear, and he moved his knees.
Of course, there's no way to establish the validity of your claims.
Quote:
You would go to jail.
No, I wouldn't. I seen drinks spilled on people, on their seats, etc. Always 'accidentally'. Nothing came of any of them, except that the person with a wet head or butt had to dry off. Never had the occasion to do it myself. Yet.
Quote:
As I said, I tell the person behind me I'm going to recline and give them time to adjust themselves or their stuff. A few minutes is more than enough time.
That's not what started this dialogue. You said you would slam the seat back. Do that to me, it's raining men!
Quote:
I slammed the armrest down on the very fat person who insisted it stay up so they could take half my seat. Guess who got deplaned. I'll give you a hint, it wasn't me.
You seem to have an awful lot of problems with other people. Perhaps the source can be found in the mirror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 05:00 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
No, you are not reclining. You aren't capable of generating enough force to move the seat so much as a smidge.

Here's why:

I have to duck to avoid hitting my head on the airplane ceiling. I'm very much like one of the people referenced in the article that goes along with this photo. Here it is: Flying can be 'hell' for tall passengers - CNN.com

And I am telling you that if it comes down to your right to recline and my right to sit uncomfortably in the seat that I paid for -- same as you -- the flight attendants are going to side with me. They always have before.

But they do everything in their power to make sure that doesn't happen.
If you are that large then not only should you be buying an extra legroom seat, but an extra width seat as well.

I guarantee you are wrong about who they will side with. My FF status proves that.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Of course, there's no way to establish the validity of your claims.

No, I wouldn't. I seen drinks spilled on people, on their seats, etc. Always 'accidentally'. Nothing came of any of them, except that the person with a wet head or butt had to dry off. Never had the occasion to do it myself. Yet.

That's not what started this dialogue. You said you would slam the seat back. Do that to me, it's raining men!

You seem to have an awful lot of problems with other people. Perhaps the source can be found in the mirror.
Go back and read slugger. I said I'd only slam the seat back if they were an ass about it. In fact I've said that several times.

I have no problems with people who take responsibility for themselves so as to not infringe on the rights of others to use their airplane seat as it was designed.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:09 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,002,874 times
Quote:
I AM reclining.
You are more than welcome to recline your sear. However I do not know how far back you will be able to recline or how much discomfort my knees pressing into your seatback will cause you. What I do know is if you keep trying to recline further back than my knees will allow and I have told you so and I am injured the flight will be diverting and we will both be getting off. I will be leaving in an ambulance and you will possibly be leaving in the back seat of a cop car. The airlines special little customers are not above the law. And should the cops decide your assault and battery is a civil matter, there will be a smile on my face everytime I purchase a first class ticket with your money.

Furthermore, your whole argument that since the seat reclines it is your right to recline unimpeded is about as worthless as me saying since the speedometer in my Jeep goes to 140 mph it is my right to drive 100 mph down the highway.

Last edited by Alaskan Mutt; 09-01-2014 at 05:20 PM..

Old 09-01-2014, 05:17 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,097,634 times
My brother and I were on a tiny plane somewhere and we were sitting together. The guy in front of us kept trying to jam his seat back like a little kid who is unable to sit still and squirms in his seat. He kept jamming primarily into my brothers knees as well as one of my mine. So inconsiderate. I do not recline my seat cause I'm tall and don't like people sitting there jamming their seat into my kneecaps. So uncomfortable. Price I pay for being tall guess, but have some consideration and common sense when you are jamming back your seat and don't forget to apologize if you hit a person's kneecaps. What has happened to manners?

Old 09-01-2014, 06:33 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,549 times
Wow, a ton of you sound like real winners. Between the "I'll recline if I darn well please" crowd and those who feel reclining passengers are rude and resort to gadgets or kneeing.

I'll admit, I recline if the person behind me is short, but the seats only tilt back, maybe 2". If someone tall is behind me I won't recline. I'll fall asleep chin down on my chest.

Let's face it, most people aren't bad, they are just oblivious and trying to make themselves comfortable in an uncomfortable situation. I'm sure if asked nicely, a large percentage of people would be willing to trade seats or not recline.

I say this after getting off multiple long flights and being lucky enough to sit next to a hollering baby with a cold (gave them some gram crackers and plugged in my earphones), an obese seatmate who pressed up against me and was sweating profusely (I'm cold most of the time, so I didn't mind the warmth) and some poor guy who had to straddle the seat in front of him because there was no room for his knees (if the person in front of him reclined, I would have offered to switch seats, since I'm pretty short).

I still prefer these crappy cheap flights to expensive ones. We just have to remember we are really all in it together - why make anyone's trip more miserable than it has to be? There will always be jerks - but they are the minority.

PS short people, like me, leave the exit rows for the taller folks. They need it more than we do.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:44 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,454,442 times
Some levity for this thread courtesy of MadTv

miss swan airplane - YouTube

Old 09-01-2014, 06:44 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Never had any problems with me leaning my seat back or someone in front of me doing it. I am 6'2" and don't care if someone moves their seat back because they were designed to do it. If someone stops me, they might have to be pretty big and strong. I ain't small and have huge legs for some nice leverage. Not sure why people are so selfish these days. If someone wants to use the seat as it is designed, that is their right. Plain and simple. Lean back if you are in front of me. No problem with it at all.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:48 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Interesting. Throughout these numerous threads about reclining seats, my opinion and my posts have always been that passengers have an absolute right to use the recline feature.

But the posts by Annerk in this thread have gotten increasingly rude and increasingly ridiculous, demonstrating zero consideration of valid points made by tall posters here. These posters have called for common courtesy and cooperation. Some have said that unless you are extremely tall, you simply wouldn't know how painful the situation can be. Some have said they try to get seats with extra legroom, but that it's not always possible. Someone gave a great example about how most people would make sure the person in the back seat of a car has enough legroom, and wouldn't insist on keeping the front seat pushed back all the way.

Annerk, you have pushed me to the other side. You have shown me that I do NOT want to insist on reclining to the point that others are made unnecessarily uncomfortable. The selfishness, arrogance, and overall ugliness you have shown in these threads is something I never want to resemble.

I renounce my previous opinion about reclining.

Peace.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
You are more than welcome to recline your sear. However I do not know how far back you will be able to recline or how much discomfort my knees pressing into your seatback will cause you. What I do know is if you keep trying to recline further back than my knees will allow and I have told you so and I am injured the flight will be diverting and we will both be getting off. I will be leaving in an ambulance and you will possibly be leaving in the back seat of a cop car. The airlines special little customers are not above the law. And should the cops decide your assault and battery is a civil matter, there will be a smile on my face everytime I purchase a first class ticket with your money.

Furthermore, your whole argument that since the seat reclines it is your right to recline unimpeded is about as worthless as me saying since the speedometer in my Jeep goes to 140 mph it is my right to drive 100 mph down the highway.
If you know you can't fit in your seat the way the seats on the airplane were designed, buy the space you need. Your problem is not mine. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel