Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 12:23 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,931,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
the seat reclines, that is how it was designed..if you can't fit in the space provided then you are too tall for the seat and need to buy additional space, end of story. Asking others to give up their amenities to accommodate you is rude and inconsiderate.

What is arrogant is asking the other person to compromise to suit you because you don't want to pay for additional space.

Best way to deal with the situation if a person behind gives you grief over reclining your seat is to call the flight attendant and tell them that the person behind you is being hostile and preventing you from reclining your seat. I bet the other person is going to be warned to stop. Never confront people on your own...always go through the official channel.
There's an article on FlyerTalk right now by a FA who says they ALWAYS side with the person who wants to recline. ALWAYS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I hate flying, and I have not done it since 9-11. The thought to dealing with all the security nonsense has kept me off the planes, and this thread just gives me more reasons not to get on a plane. My car is very comfortable and with all the delays from security, weather etc, Im not so sure that flying even saves as much time as it used too. For example flying from Nashville to Orlando involves getting to the airport hours earlier in order to get through security lines, then there is the hour it takes to park, and how long to get your rental car in florida?? If I drive it then it will take 8 or 9 hours yes it takes longer but I bet flying only saves around 4 hours at best. Now if I were going to Seattle then flying saves a lot of time, but I think to make flying worth the hassle the drive would have to be over 10 hours in order for flying to even be considered. In my car there are no overzealous security gaurds, no fat guys reclining into my knees, no annoying children etc. I wont be getting onto a plane anytime soon.

Let's see, you park, take a shuttle, and are in the airport in 10 minutes after you park. Security at BNA is typically a 10 minute process. It's a two hour flight. So two hours and 20 minutes or nine hours.

Seriously, people who don't fly shouldn't even involve themselves in these threads, because they haven't got a clue what they are talking about.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:46 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,985,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'm not afraid to call out people who refuse to take personal responsibility for themselves. I can't wait until the airlines begin requiring people to buy extra legroom. I can hear the wailing already.
You might not want to be holding your breath waiting for this to happen. When the airlines started dealing with passengers of size they did not have a lot of options. The only way they could have made the seats wider was to have removed a bunch of seats. This reduced capacity would have made it very hard for the airline to be profitable. Dealing with the tall passenger issue is a different story. The airline has an option that does not require the reduction in capacity by even one seat. All they have to do is eliminate the reclining of seats. It is my opinion that this is the route the airlines will take. Requiring tall passengers to purchase an additional seat is not going to increase revenues as they are already flying at near capacity. And, all of the airlines special passengers are not going to bail on them if they can not recline their seats as they are much to busy and important to be caught riding on Greyhound.

There will be wailing going on. It will be all those passengers frantically pushing on that button on their arm rest that no longer does anything.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:55 PM

254 posts, read 432,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I have no choice. My knees are against them on many flights anyway if I sit straight.
Me too. I can't not prevent the seat from reclining. I've nowhere to put my legs as it is.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:02 PM

6,457 posts, read 6,639,419 times
Quote:
I'd say that except in the case of a system-wide ir op, it's their fault for not planning ahead.
So, flying at the last minute for an emergency or funeral isn't sufficient reason for not planning ahead?

Old 09-02-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
You might not want to be holding your breath waiting for this to happen. When the airlines started dealing with passengers of size they did not have a lot of options. The only way they could have made the seats wider was to have removed a bunch of seats. This reduced capacity would have made it very hard for the airline to be profitable. Dealing with the tall passenger issue is a different story. The airline has an option that does not require the reduction in capacity by even one seat. All they have to do is eliminate the reclining of seats. It is my opinion that this is the route the airlines will take. Requiring tall passengers to purchase an additional seat is not going to increase revenues as they are already flying at near capacity. And, all of the airlines special passengers are not going to bail on them if they can not recline their seats as they are much to busy and important to be caught riding on Greyhound.

There will be wailing going on. It will be all those passengers frantically pushing on that button on their arm rest that no longer does anything.
I think you are dead wrong. The frequent flyers have already proven that they will abandon carriers who do idiotic things. The carriers aren't going to risk losing 20 frequent flyers per plane over one tall person who thinks the world should revolve around them.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
So, flying at the last minute for an emergency or funeral isn't sufficient reason for not planning ahead?
I had to fly last minute for a funeral a couple of months ago and even though there were no seats left to upgrade to in First, I had my choice of half a dozen seats with extra legroom in economy at the 12 hour mark. Some were still empty when we took off, including the two next to me. I've had the same situation happen with last minute business trips.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:

Let's see, you park, take a shuttle, and are in the airport in 10 minutes after you park. Security at BNA is typically a 10 minute process. It's a two hour flight. So two hours and 20 minutes or nine hours.

Seriously, people who don't fly shouldn't even involve themselves in these threads, because they haven't got a clue what they are talking about.
It would appear you don't have a clue either. Assuming the parking lot shuttle is standing by when you park and leaves just as soon as you board you will get to the terminal in ten minutes. Then it takes another 10 minutes to get thru screening. Based on your 2 hr 20 min example you will get to the boarding gate just in time to wave goodby to the aircraft as it is pushing away from the gate. It would appear that you have left out a few things in order to make you position look better. Every airline I fly requires you to be at the boarding gate at least 15 minutes and in some cases 30 minutes before the departure time. You also made no mention of the drive time to the airport. I also fail to see where you took into considration the time needed to get to the rental car company, rent a car and then drive to your final destination.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNDHOG View Post
Me too. I can't not prevent the seat from reclining. I've nowhere to put my legs as it is.
Then why don't you buy extra legroom seats? Why should another passenger be inconvenienced and uncomfortable because of you? How would you feel if the person next to you weighed 400 pounds and took part of your space?

Old 09-02-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I think you are dead wrong. The frequent flyers have already proven that they will abandon carriers who do idiotic things. The carriers aren't going to risk losing 20 frequent flyers per plane over one tall person who thinks the world should revolve around them.
So, when all of the carriers become idiots what do the frequent flyers plan on doing to get from point A to point B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel