Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 03:41 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times

Advertisements

Next month we are heading to Puerto Vallarta, this is my first trip to Mexico. Any advice on "must see" places? Rent a car for a day out of the resort or take taxis? We would also like to see a tequilla distillery tour.

Any thoughts from someone who has visited?

Old 09-26-2014, 07:01 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,244,339 times
There's a Wal-Mart down there with a phenomenal taco stand a block or two away. I'd go with a taxi unless you've driven in Mexico before or you really want to learn. There aren't a lot of rules down there. As far as getting away, anywhere out of the smog of the city will probably be nice, but I didn't have time to see much when I was down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 02:31 PM

4,789 posts, read 10,610,355 times
Things to do in Puerto Vallarta: Check out 83 Puerto Vallarta Attractions - TripAdvisor

Tequila Tour Puerto Vallarta - Don Chendo Rancho Verano Distillery

Top 10 Things to do in Puerto Vallarta

PV is a beach resort and not exactly the cultural capitol of Mexico, imo.

Big place, as in ~300k population, 2nd biggest city in Mexico, from fading memory.
GL, mD

Old 09-29-2014, 05:24 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,216 times
What resort area are you staying in? Taxis are really cheap and the streets are totally congested so a rental car is problematic. If you're staying in the hotel zone it's about $5-$6 dollars to ride into town. Even more fun is taking the blue and white busses into town. Just stand on the corner with all the locals and hop on one that says Centro. About 7 and a half pesos which is about 50 cents. You can hand the bus driver an American dollar and you may or may not get change.

Ask to be left off at the Malecon (you'll have to walk a couple of blocks.) The Malecon is a wide walkway next to the water which is a pleasant stroll with bars and restaurants and cool statuary to enjoy. Keep going and you'll eventually end up on the south side of town which is where you'll see beach bars. Check out the Sea Monkey for $1 beers and margaritas. A couple more blocks down is a street named Basillo Badillo which has lots of restaurants and shops.

There's lots to do including ziplining, boat tours, jungle tours, etc. but some of the websites you've been given will cover that. Have fun!

Old 09-30-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
What resort area are you staying in? Taxis are really cheap and the streets are totally congested so a rental car is problematic. If you're staying in the hotel zone it's about $5-$6 dollars to ride into town. Even more fun is taking the blue and white busses into town. Just stand on the corner with all the locals and hop on one that says Centro. About 7 and a half pesos which is about 50 cents. You can hand the bus driver an American dollar and you may or may not get change.

Ask to be left off at the Malecon (you'll have to walk a couple of blocks.) The Malecon is a wide walkway next to the water which is a pleasant stroll with bars and restaurants and cool statuary to enjoy. Keep going and you'll eventually end up on the south side of town which is where you'll see beach bars. Check out the Sea Monkey for $1 beers and margaritas. A couple more blocks down is a street named Basillo Badillo which has lots of restaurants and shops.

There's lots to do including ziplining, boat tours, jungle tours, etc. but some of the websites you've been given will cover that. Have fun!

We are staying at Riu Pacifico. Not sure if that is the hotel zone you are referring to?

Malecon sounds like a cool place! Unlike some people, I LOVE the toursity stuff when I travel. I want to go to little souvenir shops and the like. I have heard others reference a "boardwalk" area. Is that this?

The bus sounds fun, too!

Thanks for all the tips, everyone. I can't wait for the trip!

Old 09-30-2014, 02:37 PM

Hi Elle, Riu Pacifico is north of Puerto Vallarta in an area known as Nuevo Vallarta. A taxi into town will be about $20-$25 and will take about 30-45 minutes. Don't let that stop you as you can make a whole day of visiting Puerto Vallarta. Lots of shops to visit and be sure to ask how to get to the Rio Cuale flea market. It's on a little island that separates the central part of PV from the southside and is quite charming, lined with big trees, lots of open air stalls, and individual shops with the River Cuale alongside. You just walk across a bridge and you're there. Basillo Badillo with all its shops is just a few streets south of there.

Since you're kind of far from Puerto Vallarta and probably won't go there every day, don't miss the little town of Bucerias, which is very close to your resort. Lots of shopping there too, beach bars, restaurants, etc. The really good thing about being in Nuevo Vallarta is the beaches. They are wonderful up there which is not true in town.

The "boardwalk" area you mention is the Malecon. You're going to have so much fun!

Old 09-30-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Hi Elle, Riu Pacifico is north of Puerto Vallarta in an area known as Nuevo Vallarta. A taxi into town will be about $20-$25 and will take about 30-45 minutes. Don't let that stop you as you can make a whole day of visiting Puerto Vallarta. Lots of shops to visit and be sure to ask how to get to the Rio Cuale flea market. It's on a little island that separates the central part of PV from the southside and is quite charming, lined with big trees, lots of open air stalls, and individual shops with the River Cuale alongside. You just walk across a bridge and you're there. Basillo Badillo with all its shops is just a few streets south of there.

Since you're kind of far from Puerto Vallarta and probably won't go there every day, don't miss the little town of Bucerias, which is very close to your resort. Lots of shopping there too, beach bars, restaurants, etc. The really good thing about being in Nuevo Vallarta is the beaches. They are wonderful up there which is not true in town.

The "boardwalk" area you mention is the Malecon. You're going to have so much fun!

Thank you so much! I am going to print this

Old 10-01-2014, 09:06 AM

You're very welcome! Also, as far as I know, you can still wander down the beach to the other Riu properties and avail yourself of their food and amenities. Your concierge can give you further info.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
You're very welcome! Also, as far as I know, you can still wander down the beach to the other Riu properties and avail yourself of their food and amenities. Your concierge can give you further info.
Yes, that is correct!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel