Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 10:16 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
That is not accurate. We fly from RDU to and from international destinations, typically changing planes in Atlanta (though occasionally other airports). We have to go from one terminal to another, but we never exit the terminal buildings. And we never have to go through passport/immigration a second time.
ATL is not SFO or LAX. Every airport is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
Thanks to all for the helpful insights.

With regard to Jkgourmet's statement, what I'm starting to conclude is simply that it varies from one airport to another. From the LAWA website it appears that only a few adjacent terminals have connectors, and none of them with the main international terminal. Way back in the day, when LAX comprised mainly the iconic satellite terminals, I remember there were very long narrow lateral passageways just inward of the terminals, and IIRC you could access all the other terminals using these. Or at least, all the other terminals on one side.

However, we would still need to collect our baggage and go through customs only at our final destination, right?
No. If you are flying the same carrier the entire way, or even the same ticket on an interline, you should be able to check your luggage all the way through at the start of your trip. There are a very few exceptions, but given your destination of CDG (by the sounds of it) this shouldn't be a problem as long as you are flying on aligned carriers.

Quote:
I'm seriously reconsidering travelingthrough LAX, because I know from past experience the security lines can be horrendous there.
Yes, they can. SFO is hit or miss, but you'll have less options.

Quote:
Overseas flights out of Las Vegas? In my provincial way I had no notion of this, thinking you still needed to travel through one of the historically important international transfer points, like SFO, LAX, JFK, etc, to get to anywhere overseas, except perhaps Hawaii.

As for an East Coast transfer, I didn't realize this was still such a thing. I'm old enough to remember when flying to Europe almost always meant an East Coast stop. I went several times in the 1970s, all of them fully loaded charters, and there were always these layovers.
There are some overseas flights from LAS, but they are limited and only on a few carriers, many of which aren't all that desirable for a long haul flight.

Given that you want to minimize your connections and check your luggage through at the start of the trip, your best bet will be SAN to CDG via American connecting in either DFW or ORD, or Delta connecting in the VERY manageable SLC or ATL.

Last edited by annerk; 09-08-2014 at 10:58 AM..

Old 09-08-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Yes, non-stop from LAS on Virgin and Condor. And the ticket prices are quite good. And LAS has a convenient international terminal. So if your trip was "London, tunnel to Paris, London" my first choice would be Virgin out of Las Vegas.

If I'm not mistaken, you can fly from SAN direct to London. From there, you're dealing with cheap and cheerful (OK, cheap at least) intra-Europe commuter flights. Or the Chunnel, if that does anything for you. I would much rather cross the Channel, even by boat, because Dover and Calais are quite nice on their own. Beats airplanes, unless you have time constraints.

SFO is a headache under the best of circumstances. And the only reason I bother is because that's usually the best way to get to Asia. But otherwise, I lump it in with airports like O'Hare -- avoid if at all possible. That's an extra two hours (at least) in the air and in the airport and it doesn't get you any closer to Paris. It would have to be a whopping discount to make me want to go that route.

Unless doubling-back is significantly less expensive, I always go with the criteria of total trip duration (including layovers), price, and seat pitch. I work out where the sweet spot is for price/time/pitch and find something that works. I don't want to be in an airplane a minute more than I have to be. I'm usually the last on and one of the first off.
The Channel Tunnel on Eurostar is not going to be convenient for two older folks, one of whom has mobility issues and both of whom will be traveling with bags. It will add additional travel time over flying direct to CDG to begin with. Flying from the West Coast to Europe is exhausting to begin with, you are suggesting adding an extra eight hours of travel time (don't forget you have to get from LHR or LGW to St. Pancas Station in London to catch the Eurostar) and considerable extra expense for nothing.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
We also live in San Diego and fly overseas to Asia with one trip a few years ago to the Middle East. I know you're asking about security, but here's another suggestion....forget flying out of San Diego. Rent a car one way from SD to LAX and fly directly out of there. We had a flight out of SD years ago and the plane was coming from SFO. It got fogged in and was late. We almost missed our flight out of LAX. We had to run from one end of the airport to the other. I had to throw my 7 year old daughter over my shoulder and run like the wind. There nothing that sucks more than getting on a plane just before they're going to close the doors, everyone seated and staring at you while your a nasty, sweaty mess.

Ever since then we drove one way to LAX, flew out and had another one way car reserved for the trip back. We just leave hours early to make allowances for LA traffic and have never had a problem.

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but if you will fly more than once in the next five years, you might want to look at getting a Global Entry pass. It's around $125 and it takes a few months to get. You're declared a "Trusted Traveler" and get to bypass security for the most part on certain airlines. The link is here:

Trusted Traveler Programs | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Happy travels!
The cost of a one way car rental in California has gotten ridiculous lately.

Global Entry and Pre-Check don't work for flights out of T5 (Bradley-- ie international terminal) at LAX.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:19 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,515,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You will pretty much definitely need to leave the sterile concourse and reenter through security at LAX or SFO given the parameters you describe.

It's really no big deal. They will be happy to put you both on an electric cart and drive you around, and there will be a wheelchair pusher available pre/post security should she need that. Of course tipping them a few dollars for their services is customary.

It sounds like she is mobile, just not for long distances, so I'm not sure what the concern is for?
Well, yeah, they do have the conveyor belts, come to think of it, which should help.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:57 AM

492 posts, read 638,067 times
I've flown through LAX to Australia and was put in a long line for a shuttle to get to the Intl terminal without going through security again. Wouldn't suggest it, but there you go.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
I've flown through LAX to Australia and was put in a long line for a shuttle to get to the Intl terminal without going through security again. Wouldn't suggest it, but there you go.
How long ago was this? They have changed things since early this year.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:26 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,688,411 times
If you wish to minimise your number of flights, just drive or ask somebody to drop you at LAX (Los Angeles International airport). Take Air France flight-straight to Paris. LAX is like 125-150 miles from San Diego area by I-5.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
If you wish to minimise your number of flights, just drive or ask somebody to drop you at LAX (Los Angeles International airport). Take Air France flight-straight to Paris. LAX is like 125-150 miles from San Diego area by I-5.
ROFL! Have you ever driven from San Diego to LAX? Never mind, the answer is obvious.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:02 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,688,411 times
Okay I have never driven there. So what is your point? It is impossible to drive from San Diego to Los Angeles Airport? So you dont want to drive and dont want to change flights!!! Why travel then???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel