Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 11:55 AM

604 posts, read 838,457 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to drive from VA to GA later this month. Driving through NC and SC on Interstate 85 is grueling. Does anyone know of a good online trip planner that can find a better route. I'd like to stick with major state routes but avoid I85 as much as possible. I've tried MapQuest and Rand McNally. They don't have enough detail to map the route. Maybe my best bet is getting good state maps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 02:31 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,454,866 times
On Google Maps, you can specify "avoid highways."

Old 09-05-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
On Google Maps, you can specify "avoid highways."
You can also do that on Mapquest and it's not specific enough. It avoids state routes as well.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:54 PM

4,786 posts, read 10,597,987 times
+1 on GOOG Maps...
easy to move/drag route around and refresh seeing drive times/miles etc.

A quick net search shows several other road planner sites; no experience with them:
Driving Route Planner - Driving distance optimizer

And, this one which is a series of sightseeing sections, links and forums full of 'how to drive from Toledo to Philly', etc.
RoadTrip America - Road Trip Planning for North America

We live in western NC and go NE to NJ/NY, and south through GA to FL, regularly.
If you want my 50Cts opin on a different non-I 85 route, let me know. Your starting city and destination would help.
GL, mD

Old 09-05-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
+1 on GOOG Maps...
easy to move/drag route around and refresh seeing drive times/miles etc.

A quick net search shows several other road planner sites; no experience with them:
Driving Route Planner - Driving distance optimizer

And, this one which is a series of sightseeing sections, links and forums full of 'how to drive from Toledo to Philly', etc.
RoadTrip America - Road Trip Planning for North America

We live in western NC and go NE to NJ/NY, and south through GA to FL, regularly.
If you want my 50Cts opin on a different non-I 85 route, let me know. Your starting city and destination would help.
GL, mD
Richmond, VA to Commerce, GA. Any info on avoiding I85 would be appreciated. I did order an NC state map but don't have it yet.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:55 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,890,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
I'm planning to drive from VA to GA later this month.
Maybe my best bet is getting good state maps?
Visit Walmart and spend $5 on the latest Road Atlas book.

Even if you ALSO do the google or other online variant...
there is NO SUBSTITUTION for the atlas.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:03 PM

4,786 posts, read 10,597,987 times
Jakeaolpe,
A quick fiddle on GOOG Maps produces no I-85, but a good distance on I-40 west, and then our route down through western NC into GA and Commerce, GA specifically for you.

A 'standard' route via I-85 is ~ 470 miles and 7 hrs.

The non-I85 route I concocted is 520 miles, and another couple hours.

The GOOG link has a couple of glitches in the route line, as my drag to change route finger wasn't working like it should.

I suspect you won't like the extra couple of hours, but it completely avoids I-85.
GL, mD

https://goo.gl/maps/K17NA

Old 09-08-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Jakeaolpe,
A quick fiddle on GOOG Maps produces no I-85, but a good distance on I-40 west, and then our route down through western NC into GA and Commerce, GA specifically for you.

A 'standard' route via I-85 is ~ 470 miles and 7 hrs.

The non-I85 route I concocted is 520 miles, and another couple hours.

The GOOG link has a couple of glitches in the route line, as my drag to change route finger wasn't working like it should.

I suspect you won't like the extra couple of hours, but it completely avoids I-85.
GL, mD

https://goo.gl/maps/K17NA

Thanks Motordavid. This does give me some ideas. The drive through NC on I85 is grueling, but there really doesn't seem to be much of an alternative unless time doesn't matter. Sadly, I think I'm stuck with I85.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel