Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 11:29 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
HA HA !! I clicked on this thread when I saw it on the "recent activity" module, just to mention South of the Border, and your post was the first I saw! Of course reps followed!

Yes, South of the Border and its crazy semi-racist billboards up and down I-95 have to rate as one of the coolest tacky spots in the world. If you are a fan of cheepo trinkets and plaster Dinosaurus Rex's, you HAVE to stop at SotB at least once!!
I imagine it will only be a matter of time before Pedro and his billboards are part of a "Remember When" documentary. SotB was even more tacky a long time ago when it was little more than a gas station, cafeteria and gift shop. Now it's more of an "attraction."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 01:16 PM

672 posts, read 789,578 times
Madurodam | Discover Holland's Highlights & Heritage - Madurodam

Back when I was a young 'un, we lived in Holland, and would visit Madurodam on practically a monthly basis, along with Keukenhof (which is glorious). I thought that it was magical. But now it hasn't aged all that well, and there is a kitsch factor, while cool, is undeniable.

Of course, there is the red light district of Amsterdam, which is pretty much tackiness defined.

Domestically, I have to agree with the Wisconsin Dells, but a lot of the really tacky stuff has been bought up by developers and turned into waterparks and condos.

Vintage Wisconsin Dells will give you a feel for what it used to be like.

In Hayward, Wisconsin, is the Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame and Museum - Hayward, Wisconsin. However, when my husband and I took my (then) 10 year old son there to kill off a rainy day in what was a very rainy week of vacation, I practically had to carry my husband out of the outboard and boat section of the museum.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:09 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
Madurodam | Discover Holland's Highlights & Heritage - Madurodam

Back when I was a young 'un, we lived in Holland, and would visit Madurodam on practically a monthly basis, along with Keukenhof (which is glorious). I thought that it was magical. But now it hasn't aged all that well, and there is a kitsch factor, while cool, is undeniable.

Of course, there is the red light district of Amsterdam, which is pretty much tackiness defined.

Domestically, I have to agree with the Wisconsin Dells, but a lot of the really tacky stuff has been bought up by developers and turned into waterparks and condos.

Vintage Wisconsin Dells will give you a feel for what it used to be like.

In Hayward, Wisconsin, is the Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame and Museum - Hayward, Wisconsin. However, when my husband and I took my (then) 10 year old son there to kill off a rainy day in what was a very rainy week of vacation, I practically had to carry my husband out of the outboard and boat section of the museum.
There's a small logging museum in Rhinelander that has an outboard motor building section. It's pretty cool, I even have my favorite outboard motor, lol.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:53 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
There's a small logging museum in Rhinelander that has an outboard motor building section. It's pretty cool, I even have my favorite outboard motor, lol.
I'd visit that. I have a tiny outboard motor that was made for stirring drinks. It's silly, of course, but a neat item.

Now here's another gem. To the uninformed it might seem ''tacky'', but it's a treat.

British Lawnmower Museum

I learned that South of the Border is the home of Blenheim Ginger Ale, the finest ginger beverage ever made. No business that owns this is tacky.

Blenheim Ginger Ale

Old 09-12-2014, 04:00 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,298,228 times
I would say Hawaii. Completely overrated and expensive. Don't know why people call it heavenly. During summer atleast you can get similar beaches in Cali or Florida. All the hype to charge $4 for small soda bottle. $7 for milk and locals surviving on tips and asian tourists, didn't feel as if I was in US. Wanted to visit far east asia again but after going to Hawaii this summer I no longer have the desire. Met half of Japan on my last trip to Hawaii.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:05 PM

14 posts, read 13,493 times
disney world. it's way overrated and is nothing more than a gigantic generic theme park with disney logos slapped all over. disney has some of the worst labor records in the country and the cast members are paid pennies.
not to mention the $39.99 water bottles inside the park

Old 09-12-2014, 04:10 PM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times
East of Tucson on I-10 is "The Thing?", with billboards touting its "Mystery of the Desert" all the way west to the California state line. Admission is $1. Used to pass it a lot when I lived in Tucson. The question mark is part of the mystery, I guess.

The Thing? an American roadside attraction

Recently I was in Weston, Missouri, and at O'Malley's Irish Pub and restaurant is Finley Stephens' Largest Ball of String (not twine).

Old 09-12-2014, 05:23 PM

297 posts, read 766,837 times
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Myrtle Beach or Virginia Beach. The beaches themselves are nice- though overcrowded, but the shops/food/architecture was tacky city!

Old 09-12-2014, 05:53 PM

815 posts, read 736,742 times
Wall Drug itself wasn't exactly tacky.....but the thousands of billboards advertising it for almost 400 miles along I-90 certainly were. Started seeing them halfway across Minnesota, and by the time we were within a hundred miles you could see 4-8 billboards on the side of the road at any given moment.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:57 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Wild West City in Netcong NJ. It was in the news a while back when live ammo accidentally got used during a fake gunfight.
There aren't a whole lot of attractions in the area, so it's still open, despite the lawsuits.
Netcong, NJ - Wild West City

Another one is Ghost Town in the Sky in Maggie Valley, which features both cowboys AND Indians:
Search Results - RoadsideAmerica.com

I could have appreciated the kitsch a lot more if the entry prices weren't so high.

I do love a country fair though.
My son loved Wild West City when he was seven. By the time he was 10 he didn't want to go back.

Hadn't heard about the live ammo situation. Wowsa!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel