Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2014, 10:10 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erka View Post
Venice. Dirty, nasty, awful smelling, dilapidated and overcrowded city. Rotten fish, dirt and trash everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
tack·y

adjective
  1. showing poor taste and quality.
Venice Italy is not tacky.
"Tacky" is absolutely the last word I would ever use in the same sentence as Venice. While I disagree 100% with erka (Venice is one of my favorite cities in the world), "tacky" is just flat-out an adjective that should not be applied to Venice. If someone doesn't like it, fine. Just pick a word that applies; "tacky" isn't that word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
I haven't been to the purported birthplace of jesus in Nazareth, which is under Palestinian control, but from what others have told me it is a tacky little nothing that is not worth the time.
The purported birthplace of Jesus is not Nazareth, but Bethlehem. That said, I suspect you are referring to the Church of the Nativity there. I visited there about four years ago and could not possibly have been more disappointed. The church is built over the supposed birthplace of Jesus. I was looking forward to a truly spiritual experience. Instead, I found the site to be commercialized beyond words, and yes -- extremely tacky.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
If I can add the "most anticlimactic" attraction, that would be Plymouth Rock. My family took multiple trips to Cape Cod growing up, but my wife had never been. And she wanted to stop in Plymouth and see the rock. When we got there, she just looked at me and said, "You're kidding, right?"
I second your wife's reaction. I could not possibly have been more underwhelmed.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:38 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
"Tacky" is absolutely the last word I would ever use in the same sentence as Venice. While I disagree 100% with erka (Venice is one of my favorite cities in the world), "tacky" is just flat-out an adjective that should not be applied to Venice. If someone doesn't like it, fine. Just pick a word that applies; "tacky" isn't that word.
Dirty and overrated are probably a better adjectives. Add in infested with pick-pockets, and that about sums it up. My opinion.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:00 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carole Cohen View Post
South of the Border is a good one but the signs are colorful along the highway :-) My entry is Natural Bridge in Virginia. It's not that the bridge is not pretty. It's the museum, gift shop/ amusement area on the property. 3D 'stuff' including 3D Jesus. At least that's how it was in the 80's when I was there. A friend and I were there for a conference and when we walked out of the building, we were speechless.
It hasn't changed, the Wax museum at Natural bridge is horrible. Adam and Eve? Blonde and caucasian? The portrayal of the Civil War? Shivers. Then, to make up for it it appeared they stuck every leftover wax figures in the last room, including the Obama's, right before the theatre that had The Last Supper which we had to walk through to get out. There hopefully is a positive note. The site was sold this past year. Maybe someone can come in and clean it up, first by getting rid of the wax museum.

Otherwise, I voted for Pedro's.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:41 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You still haven't answered the question we have posed to that initial OP. WHY is it considered tacky? How can you say that a national park is tacky?
You've got me confused with another user. I was just responding to someone else'e question to BusyMeAK.

But if you must know, Denali was tacky in the sense that sitting on that bus in a dust cloud for 12 hours was like riding a horse of little value.

tack·y2:
Early 19th century: of unknown origin. Early use was as a noun denoting a horse of little value...

Old 09-15-2014, 03:54 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,139 times
Dinosaur land in virginia

Dinosaur Land - White Post, VA | Yelp

I loved it as a kid though. It just seems totally dated by today's standards.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:13 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The purported birthplace of Jesus is not Nazareth, but Bethlehem. That said, I suspect you are referring to the Church of the Nativity there. I visited there about four years ago and could not possibly have been more disappointed. The church is built over the supposed birthplace of Jesus. I was looking forward to a truly spiritual experience. Instead, I found the site to be commercialized beyond words, and yes -- extremely tacky.
The Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem is interesting and historic: a Byzantine basilica that was built, destroyed, rebuilt and repaired over 1,000 years ago. Different sections of the church are owned and controlled by different sects of Christianity that are often belligerent to one another. In front of the church is a plaza called "Manger Square" which is full of gaudy gift shops and strung with banners and pro-Palestinian slogans ... that is the tacky part.

What difference it is to visit the Deer Park at Sarnath, India (where the Buddha preached His first sermon) or the 1,500 year old Maha Bodhi Temple in Bodh Gaya (where the Buddha attained enlightenment under the sacred Bodhi tree) that are such calm serene places.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem is interesting and historic: a Byzantine basilica that was built, destroyed, rebuilt and repaired over 1,000 years ago. Different sections of the church are owned and controlled by different sects of Christianity that are often belligerent to one another. In front of the church is a plaza called "Manger Square" which is full of gaudy gift shops and strung with banners and pro-Palestinian slogans ... that is the tacky part.
Well, that added to the tackiness, but to me the whole experience was one big negative. I mean it's one thing to have a church built over what may or may not have been Jesus' birthplace is one thing. But when we saw one shrine marking what was supposedly the exact spot at which Mary gave birth and another, four feet away, where she supposedly laid Him in a manger just made me think, "Really? And who decided this?"

Quote:
What difference it is to visit the Deer Park at Sarnath, India (where the Buddha preached His first sermon) or the 1,500 year old Maha Bodhi Temple in Bodh Gaya (where the Buddha attained enlightenment under the sacred Bodhi tree) that are such calm serene places.
Yeah, calm and serene was what I was hoping for. I'd never go back, nor would I suggest it as a must-see place. I can understand the reason it's so significant, but the actual atmosphere just ruined it for me.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:51 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post

They have a motel there!!!! oh hell no

They sell fireworks year round! Oh, hell yeah!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel