Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 01:01 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,558,967 times

Advertisements

OK, flight booked. I don't know why, but I'm such a commitment phobe when it comes to making travel plans. I'm such a fly by the seat of your pants type person, but I guess with flying, you literally cannot be like that! Three weeks and three days out, I am now ready for takeoff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 06:21 PM

2,322 posts, read 923,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
OK, flight booked. I don't know why, but I'm such a commitment phobe when it comes to making travel plans. I'm such a fly by the seat of your pants type person, but I guess with flying, you literally cannot be like that! Three weeks and three days out, I am now ready for takeoff!
Wishing you have a safe flight and an amazing time with your cousins

Old 09-30-2014, 07:35 PM

4 posts, read 1,833 times
I (female) have driven by myself to Las Vegas from Stockton many times. I have driven back and forth across the USA three times in the past three years. Only saying this to encourage you to drive, if you want to. Make sure you have your cell phone and charger and your AAA card! You will be fine. Flying is much less time consuming, but that drive down the valley and through Barstow is not bad at all. Leave around 4:00 am and you'll be there by dinner time. OR spend the night in Bakersfield and go on in the morning.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:01 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Life is too short to drive. Glad you booked a flight.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I am planning to go to Vegas to meet up with long lost cousins who will be there only at a specific time window (October 10 afternoon). I am looking up flights, and I am completely unfamiliar with them, and see that it says it takes 6 hours!!?? I thought it would be like 2 hours tops. I feel so constricted if I fly because there are flights that only leave and depart at a certain time and I don't even know where I'm meeting them, I'd have no car, etc.

I do have an option to drive, and that would take 8 hours. I hesitate to drive because I would be alone and I'm female and what if it's too much wear and tear on my car (2000 Lexus RX300) and what if it breaks down, etc., etc.

Am I making the driving thing too big a deal?
I haven't read the responses so I might be repeating what has been said, but either way, shouldn't be a huge issue. As for flying, we have done it a couple times, when visiting my parents in Paradise, CA. We flew SoWest, it was about a 90 min flight I think, I can't understand the 6 hour part.

We have done the driving route as well. I think you would be fine, but if you are really nervous, try and find a better flight. Have you thought of flying in a day earlier if the prices are better and spending a night there. I did this once, when meeting a friend, I was certainly not young and yes, a single women. I had a great time. I got in about 6pm, grabbed something to eat and then gambled for a hour or so and went to my room. It was a first for me, but it was fun.
ok, so now I read you did book a flight, good for you, enjoy your time in Vegas regardless of how long you will be there. And, BTW, you mentioned renting a car if you had decided to drive. We do that quite often on long trips. It is well worth it; put the wear and tear on a rental car, not yours.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:57 PM

46 posts, read 88,461 times
If you are okay with driving through some more deserted areas, I would suggest I-80 east to Reno, then US 95 south to Las Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel