Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 10:58 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
DH has requested that I look into a long distance train trip for one if our vacations next year. The kind where you skeep, eat, etc on the train. I've done overnights in sleeping berths on trains in the UK and Russia, but that's not what I think he is referring to.

Anyone have any ideas or experienced this kind of trip. Yes, I will google it myself, so I'm only looking for personal experiences or knowledge gained from famiky, friends, etc.
Please suggest to DH that sleeper trains, even the best of them, can be nightmares. If he's thinking about the Orient Express, for instance, I have a bedbug story that will knock the romance right out of that particular trip.

(It was so bad, that when we finally got home, we stripped naked in front of our front door and only THEN entered the house. We then burned all of our travel clothes and our bags.) It has been my experience that train travel is no longer anything like a Paul Theroux book. Either that, or Paul never mentioned the food poisoning and vermin. Because I've read all of his books.

To answer your question: My two favorite scenic train trips are the slow-train up the Rhine River in Germany and the train from Innsbruck to Venice through the Dolomites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 11:00 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I like that Lewis & Clarke adventure but holy cow, pricey!
There are a few I really like and Lewis and Clark is one of them.
The shocker of the pricing wears off a bit when you realize the cost of the train, meals and hotels for some nights plus whatever tours are included

Old 09-19-2014, 11:38 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,921,010 times
These aren't really long distance trips but they sure look nice.
10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall | Fodor's

Old 09-19-2014, 11:55 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
These aren't really long distance trips but they sure look nice.
10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall | Fodor's
I think my parents did the White Pass/Yukon train tour when they did a cruise to Alaska. They loved it!

Old 09-19-2014, 12:08 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
The California Zephyr is a standard Amtrak rout between Emryville, CA and Chicago, Il., so it's a bit more affordable (and bookable) but still gets a little prohibitive if you're looking for a deluxe sleeper the whole way. It is amtrak's longest route at 2,438 miles (3,924 km), so it will certainly fit your duration desires, especially if you connect to other destinations from there. It also has some decent scenery, but not as much as you may think, since it's traveling mainly through high desert and plains through a saddle that manages to bypass most of the more typically rugged Rocky Mountain high country passes in CO and WY.

Another option would be Amtrak's Coast Starlight which travels daily between Los Angeles and Seattle, some of it (but not a lot) is along the coast. It's overnight at best though, so if you're looking for a very long trip, that's not it.

If you don't mind skipping the multi-day thing, and substituting that with some truly fantastic scenery and historical essence, consider the Durango-Silverton narrow gauge railroad in western CO. Truly a spectacular ride, it's just 45 miles 1-way but will take several hours as a round trip because it's slow going and has to stop to water-up. CO has several other working 'historical' rail lines which may be worth a look if you don't mind some shorter, more tourist-friendly routes.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:14 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I have heard the train trip from the Northeast of the USA to Montreal, Canada is very scenic especially during the fall season.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:16 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,743,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Please suggest to DH that sleeper trains, even the best of them, can be nightmares. If he's thinking about the Orient Express, for instance, I have a bedbug story that will knock the romance right out of that particular trip.

(It was so bad, that when we finally got home, we stripped naked in front of our front door and only THEN entered the house. We then burned all of our travel clothes and our bags.) It has been my experience that train travel is no longer anything like a Paul Theroux book. Either that, or Paul never mentioned the food poisoning and vermin. Because I've read all of his books.

Hey ScoopLV, could you tell me more about the bedbugs? I posted something on another forum about my own bad experience on The Vermonter, and some other fellow was talking about bedbugs (on a different train, with a sleeper), and boy oh boy, the folks on that forum told him that bedbugs were virtually unheard of on Amtrak.

I didn't believe it myself.

The train we were on was filthy beyond all description. The Amtrak bathroom literally had puddles of urine on the floor, with wads of used toilet paper scattered about - and that was in the Business Class section!

So, tell me about the bedbugs??

Old 09-19-2014, 12:23 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Really, I've never found that, a brochure or web link would be appreciated.
Look at post #3 on this thread. Amtrak.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
the train from Innsbruck to Venice through the Dolomites.
This is a possibility for us sometime in the next few years. It must have been gorgeous! How long did it take?

Old 09-19-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I have heard the train trip from the Northeast of the USA to Montreal, Canada is very scenic especially during the fall season.
I've taken the train from NYC to Montreal and would agree that it's very scenic, particularly as it rides along the Hudson downstate, and then from Saratoga north Upstate.

It only takes a day (unless it's delayed) but you could easily route from Portland to NYC then change for the NYC to Montreal train. Except a few grimy urban areas, there are nice views on both of those routes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel