Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 05:41 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times

Advertisements

When I calculate costs for a trip figuring what one day will be, then multiply by 30, for a month. It's been years since my last trip to Europe, but a travel agent helped tremendously and the service cost me nothing. For meals, I don't go hungry, but I don't go to expensive restaurants and often just buy sandwiches and eat in a park. I like to have enough money, but I also know how to budget and sticking to it is important. I don't want to run out of funds before time to go home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 05:49 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
I agree.

I don't think you need a full week in both NYC and DC.
3 or 4 days each would enough.
Then 3 weeks FLA.

You have your priorities reversed. Three days in NYC? It is to laugh.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:40 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
With all due respect to the DC-area proprietor, I don't know if I'd personally want to rent a room/apartment for my first trip to a particular city overseas. Of course, your mileage - or "kilometerage" - may vary.
No offense taken! Obviously my suggestion was only for those who don't mind such a thing…I know some people are a bit wary. Just like some people don't want to ride uber or lyft with the potential for commercially uninsured and unlicensed drivers. But the majority of us accept the risks involved. Airbnb in only four years topped ten million bookings. I've used it in a handful of countries, a few that I'd never been to before. To be honest, it actually makes me feel a bit safer having a native host to look out for me (assuming the host has been verified and vouched for by many other users)

That's all. I am not an employee of the company so I need not defend them, although I suppose as a user I am biased.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:31 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,625 times
Mac15 aka Summer whale, ask your parents how much it will cost since they paid for all your previous trips.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:32 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
For a budget of £1500, there are many interesting places in America that you can explore, and that are accessible using rental car or cheap flights. For instance, in the southern and western U.S., you could fly into Dallas/Ft. Worth and spend a couple of days there. Ft. Worth is actually a fairly interesting city, where "the west begins." Drive farther south in Texas to Austin, which is "The Live Music Capital of the World," and to San Antonio, home of the Alamo and the major Texas city in which Mexican influences are really noticed the most. These cities are all in Texas, and while Texas gets a lot of flack because of certain aspects of its culture (and Texas is pretty unique), it really is a state that practically personifies "Americana."
I agree with this completely. OP claims to be stuck in a Florida rut. So, fly to Las Vegas, rent a car (and get out of Las Vegas just as quick as you can). And then go see the Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, Arches National Park, Bryce Canyon, Sedona, AZ and Jerome, AZ.

Just big sweeping vistas as far as the eye can see. Joshua Trees -- don't the Irish have a thing for Joshua Trees? And best of all, inexpensive roadside hotels and interesting southwestern food.

And sure thing, Texas is great, too. I could spend a week just in Austin. Austin is one of the best cities America has to offer. And it's a great VALUE, as well. Anyone who doesn't love Austin is someone I cannot get along with. Here's my itinerary for a week in Austin:

• Day 1: Go to Congress Ave, and go to the place that has the best music blaring out the doors. Eat and drink and listen to music.
  • Day 2: Go to Congress Ave, and go to the place that has the best music blaring out the doors. Eat and drink and listen to music. Ask a local for other good places to go.
  • Day 3: Go to the place that the locals recommended. Eat and drink and listen to music. Ask a local for other good places to go.
  • And so on....

The ONLY problem with the American West is that winter is often considered "high season." But that really doesn't matter because things are roughly 1/10 the price here than in Manhattan.

Hey, OP, would you go to my Dublin thread and answer my question about things I won't find in the Guidebooks (if you know such places, of course)?

Old 09-22-2014, 03:49 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,206,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Mac15 aka Summer whale, ask your parents how much it will cost since they paid for all your previous trips.
The last one cost £8,000 but it was for 4 people.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:32 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Staying in a 4 star hotel in NYC will probably run you at least £200-250/night (or more). It is an extraordinarily expensive city. Unless you're willing to lower your expectations for lodging, your £1500 won't go very far at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Holiday inn?

I don't mind a holiday inn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Summerwhale could visit NYC during the day and then take Metro-North Railroad (still run by the NYC MTA) out to Westchester County at night, or take Long Island Railroad (also by NYC MTA) out to Long Island at night, or take New Jersey Transit out to northern New Jersey at night. And he could take those trains pretty late also, I believe, without concerns of safety, at least as long as his hotel is within 2-4 blocks of a line or he can catch a cab ride. Sure, he'd spend some more time on the train, but he might also save 50%.

I'd also recommend that he fly into Newark, if possible, no matter where he chooses to spend his nights. The NJ Transit line provides a direct connection to Manhattan, and the airport is actually closest to Manhattan. The connections into Manhattan are thus more efficient than they are from JFK or La Guardia, the two airports actually in NYC proper (though not Manhattan). I know, it's crazy, but trust me.

apexgds is right: if you stay in NYC proper, or at least Manhattan, your £200-250/night might go rather quickly. However, one can rest like a king at night for that price in Florida and Washington, DC. But for £1500, I'd be staying at Holiday Inns and Best Westerns.
The OP could find a Holiday Inn or similar hotel in Long Island City, Queens (which is just across East River from Manhattan and a short subway ride to Midtown Manhattan) for approx. $120-$150 per night which is much cheaper than staying in Manhattan. Also JFK and La Guardia airports are in Queens and more easily accessible in this case.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:44 AM

I'm only 18 and never travelled alone so I would like to stay inside NYC itself near the transport and people.
I don't want to use any airport other than ewr as i've used it before and know it quite well. I don't feel safe using JFK

Old 09-22-2014, 05:48 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
I'm only 18 and never travelled alone so I would like to stay inside NYC itself near the transport and people.
I don't want to use any airport other than ewr as i've used it before and know it quite well. I don't feel safe using JFK
The subway goes to Queens and Brooklyn, it's closer than many parts of Manhattan. They're both part of NYC itself and have plenty of people. JFK is safe.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:49 AM

It doesn't look very safe to me..

Plus i've used United twice and I am happy with their service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel