Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 08:37 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the info, Tallybalt.

When you did the long treks through the jungle, did you organize them through the parks? Or through a private group? Or just show up and find a guide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 01:13 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Thanks, a rafflesia is on the wish list to see.

I'm also been told I must must must try durian.
Heh, you better try it in smaaaall quantity first. If you can survive one bite, then you'll learn to like it. Otherwise it will make you throw up, literally. I love the fruit but it's not exaggerating to say it smells like rotten garbage.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:48 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,499 times
One of the treks involved going to a remote camp in a distant part of the jungle and required a boat trip up the main river for the first part, before a 10 km hike through the jungle to reach the camp. From the camp we did a day trip up to see the pinnacles. This was organized beforehand as we had to reserve sleeping spots at the remote camp (very basic bunks). Everything else was organized via the visitor center at the main park headquarters.

We were very lucky to get spots in the spelunking tour because two people had cancelled at the last minute, so I would try to book spaces as far in advance as you can. The regular cave tours can be booked when you get there. It's a conveyor belt of groups (this sounds worse than it really is but what they do is organize groups of 15-20 people and take each group through the caves approximately 10 minutes apart, so the caves are never too crowded at a given time. The caves are enormous but you're restricted to a narrow pathway for safety reasons. Be sure to also take the bat tours to watch the millions of bats leave the caves at dusk. It's impressive.

The tree canopy walkway and other localized jungle hikes can be organized when you get there. We found the park extremely well organized and professionally run, much more so than we'd anticipated. And it's for very good reasons - to minimize the impact on the environment and to protect the wellbeing of visitors as it's too easy to get lost or to hurt yourself if you went off on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Thank you for the info, Tallybalt.

When you did the long treks through the jungle, did you organize them through the parks? Or through a private group? Or just show up and find a guide?

Old 09-29-2014, 07:32 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Excellent, Tallybalt. Thank you. The Lonely Planet guides have served me well. I'm mostly going to take pics of flower, frogs, hopefully snakes, inverts, etc so I don't do that much tour wise... I generally do try to hire someone for night walks though for the extra eyes, and well, more acclimated eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel