Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 04:45 PM

2,887 posts, read 5,121,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
Two days might be fun. Airfare from ATH - BRU is cheap. Thanks for that. Great idea.
We're starting to worry that we won't be able to afford this trip. I'm getting anxiety. LOL It would be a trip of a lifetime, but we could do many trips (closer to home) for what we'll spend on this one.
Well that's the problem with Europe -- unless you're careful with how you spend your money, you can end up paying a lot. Regarding budget, there are so many resources on the web, you can basically make every choice before you go, and if you stick to your plan, you will be alright. Beyond the plane ticket, the big items are lodging and food, you generally have many many options for both if you look hard enough, but if you pick the first hotel that pops up on Expedia and stop at some random restaurant when you're tired of walking, odds are you'll overpay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 04:04 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,205,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Going through Dublin in this manner has saved me money on many flights!
I'll check it out.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
It is well worth the cost to visit Europe....don't back out!! Have you talked to a travel agent to help coordinate everything? I normally book my own trips from beginning to end, but on my first trip to Europe (spanning France/Germany/CZR/Austria/back to Germany) in two weeks, I used a travel agent through AAA. She was fabulous and really helped me get GREAT fares on the air and the train. After being there, I now feel comfortable booking my own, but having her was a fabulous way to get the first trip booked. And it wasn't any more expensive than if I had done it on my own. Feel free to message me with any questions! I've gotten pretty good at the travel booking over the past few years, even venturing into the Middle East last month!!
I usually do my own trips, too. But, Europe....it's a little overwhelming. I did stop and pick up maps at AAA, but we're still at the "can we afford it" stage.
We always figured that when our beloved dog passed on, it would be the time to do the travel-by-air trips. (We do a lot of travel trailer trips.) She....sadly....is gone and I think we feel pressure to take this trip now, before we get another dog.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Well that's the problem with Europe -- unless you're careful with how you spend your money, you can end up paying a lot. Regarding budget, there are so many resources on the web, you can basically make every choice before you go, and if you stick to your plan, you will be alright. Beyond the plane ticket, the big items are lodging and food, you generally have many many options for both if you look hard enough, but if you pick the first hotel that pops up on Expedia and stop at some random restaurant when you're tired of walking, odds are you'll overpay.
We really think that a month is the least amount of time to spend, but start adding up a month of expenses and it gets expensive.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:15 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,752,433 times
If you're going to spend at 5-7 days in a location AirBnB or other rental agency for a small apartment with a kitchen is often going to be more affordable than a hotel, and it's fun to play around in foreign grocery stores.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
If you're going to spend at 5-7 days in a location AirBnB or other rental agency for a small apartment with a kitchen is often going to be more affordable than a hotel, and it's fun to play around in foreign grocery stores.
We were hoping to do more of a road trip. But, I think that might be expensive. My friend suggested at least 3 nites in one spot....for the best rates. What is AirBnB?

Old 10-07-2014, 08:09 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,752,433 times
AirBnB is like the old Vacation Rental by Owner (VRBO) system on steroids, and covers many different types of short term rentals:

https://www.airbnb.com/

Old 10-07-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
AirBnB is like the old Vacation Rental by Owner (VRBO) system on steroids, and covers many different types of short term rentals:

https://www.airbnb.com/
Ok. Thanks.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:00 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,960,118 times
I prefer renting other people's timeshares. But I use Homeaway and AirBnB as well. The goal is to stay away from the hotels and being forced to dine at restaurants all the time. That's where most of the money goes.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
Quote:
We really think that a month is the least amount of time to spend, but start adding up a month of expenses and it gets expensive.
Quote:
We were hoping to do more of a road trip. But, I think that might be expensive. My friend suggested at least 3 nites in one spot....for the best rates. What is AirBnB?
for 25+ yrs I have traveled / lived very inexpensively worldwide using hospitality guest homes ($10 - $20 / night worldwide).
Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

Here is a very small list of what is available: (You get a profile of host, so EZ to plan a trip to fit your interests and locations) Europe hosts are just as great as elsewhere (Very excellent)

You can rent furnished apartment for under $1000/month
Transportation can be a bit expensive (tolls, parking, and fuel).
EuroRail can work OK if you plan in advance and travel after 10PM (can't get EuroRail Passes from Europe).

You can rent a camper-van fairly affordable and is very common in much of Europe to find camping (can be rainy).

Food... you need to eat like the locals (which will be more costly than home), but ... deli, bread store, grocery, pub, tapas...

Drinks... you will be paying for water, so be prepared. You will be able to forget softdrinks, they are spendy.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-08-2014 at 01:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel