Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 01:41 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Absolutely. If I ever manage to find an opportunity to lay on my couch, there's still a million and one things nagging at me. I need to do the laundry, clean the kitchen, sort the clothes in my closet for donation, clean out the garage, etc. Then there's also people wanting to take up my time ... the phone is ringing, the doorbell ringing, my mother needs a favor, a friend wants to go out to dinner and a movie. Sometimes getting away is the only way to really disconnect.

Sometimes just a change of scenery can completely change my attitude. The same environment day after day gets mundane. Laying on a warm beach, listening to the ocean, breathing the salty air, and doing NOTHING is like a spa day for my soul.
understandable, but all these annoyance can be utterly voided by checking into a local hotel room and turning off your cellphone, without spending $$ on airfare.

Change of scenery is purely physiological. If you think you can only relax by flying to a different city doing the same stuff you can do at home, then so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 01:43 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
I don't usually "relax" while traveling although I need to...it's just not in my nature. I explore, see new sights in new locales, meet the people. I NEVER sit in a hotel room reading a book or watching TV -- how wasteful. (And I have friends who do it, or who take cruises and never leave the ship! I just can't imagine...) I might take a day while on vacation and enjoy a beach/pool (did that at the most fabulous Jumeirah Beach Resort while in Dubai and at Millennium Resort while in Oman) or sit for a few hours with a drink while people-watching, but that's just for a quick break in the midst of exploring. The Caribbean is fabulous but even when there, I'm not just laying in the sun for hours on end. We dive, we do other water sports, we explore, and again meet people and get a feel for the local customs. I figure I can laze around when I'm at home, for free, or on the plane to and from my vacation destination.

My theory on vacations is similar to my theory on food when traveling - don't spend your time doing something you can do back home, just as you never should eat at a restaurant while on vacation that you can eat at back home.
I agree with this part.

On a trip to Las Vegas, a group of us met at a bar in a downtown hotel. We had some food and some drinks, but soon after I was ready to go OUTSIDE. I can sit in a bar/restaurant in my hometown. I wanted to be OUT experiencing what is unique to Vegas.

That being said, I can sit and read on a beach or at a pool that is a different environment than at home.

On a quick trip to Denver with my parents, they took off their shoes and sat down to watch TV the second we arrived in the hotel. I convinced them to put those shoes back on; they can watch TV at home.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:46 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
I do both in one trip.

I love traveling in general. I tend to alternate sightseeing/activities with relaxation days when on vacation.

Not sure why you make so many assumptions about a region - the Caribbean - in which you have obviously never been and/or never took advantage of truly exploring.

My routine on an island goes as follows. The first day I may relax on the beach, pamper myself and plan more of my trip. The next day head to the capital to see historical sites and try local foods. At night, I'll go dancing and enjoy local music. Another day I go scuba diving or snorkeling. The next day do a tour of the island or as much of it if it is big. Another day find a small cultural festival to attend, see more historical sites or enjoy other unique nature features of the island. Of course, do more night life. Also I like to attend church in the particular country to get a feel for religious life within my faith...as well as others.

It's not much different when visiting different countries in Europe...a mix of relaxation and activities.

When I leave, I've always made friends. Lots of fun!

Old 10-08-2014, 01:47 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Well, the island I'm going to next month is basically about lying on the beach & reading. There's not much else to do there, no roads even. Sure, I'll go exploring because that's what traveling is all about, seeing different things, cultures, people, eating different food. I also can't be attached to my phone so this vacation shall be interesting.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:49 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Well, the island I'm going to next month is basically about lying on the beach & reading. There's not much else to do there, no roads even. Sure, I'll go exploring because that's what traveling is all about, seeing different things, cultures, people, eating different food. I also can't be attached to my phone so this vacation shall be interesting.

I am heading to Mexico and it will be an adjustment to not be attached to my phone! At least the resort has WiFi so I won't have to COMPLETELY unplug! Phew!

I am looking forward to a break from technology, really.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:49 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
What island is that?

Old 10-08-2014, 02:04 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
What island is that?
Little Corn Island, Nicaragua. It's a pain in the butt to get to.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:16 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I can even imagine spend $1 "traveling" in any Caribbean countries. Their popularity in the winter simply baffles me... why do people even go there?

If I want a beach, I fly to Spain or Italy. Yes it is more expensive but there is a lot more to enjoy than just ocean and beaches. Lying on the beach for an hour, then what, keep lying there until the sun goes down? The next day, do the same thing?
Me I go there Bahamas I owned vacation homes there most my brother in charge so that is the reason heading there. I enjoy diving under the sea, it is amazing have you ever done that? If I go to Spain I go camping then I go mostly with my brother and their family with the caravans,biking in the rural areas is much of fun, I don't like drive that far all alone by my self, Italy I have been there then I do walking and explore I am amazed with the country. Oh boy no I m not going to sleep under the sun I am brown enough my self no I don't do same thing some times walk in to the city or just popping up to shops and buy some junk to give out to my friends.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:18 PM

16,670 posts, read 17,435,450 times
To my mind cruising covers both aspects.

You can relax on board and explore on land.

Indeed on the cruises that I have been on there are interesting talks on board as well.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:34 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
understandable, but all these annoyance can be utterly voided by checking into a local hotel room and turning off your cellphone, without spending $$ on airfare.
And the whole time I would be thinking "why am I wasting my money on this hotel when there's nothing special about it, and I have a perfectly good bed 2 miles down the road and plenty of chores I should be doing there?"

Nope, I have to physically remove myself from my home location and go away somewhere nicer than where I live.

(And for the record, it doesn't always involve traveling by air. I have beautiful beaches about a 3 hour drive in one direction, and beautiful mountains about 3 hours in the other direction. Where I end up depends on my mood)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel