Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 08:27 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times

Advertisements

I regularly travel to England, and in the past three years, I have added Ireland, France, and The Netherlands onto my holiday travels. I exclude Canada because it's within crawling distance to me here in Michigan and I kinda think of it as an extension of the states (a whole different topic).

Anyway, I think it's so much fun to bump into other Americans while on travel. They are always so nice and happy to see another American. I usually just talk to them for a moment or two to ask how they are enjoying their visit and where they are from in the states.

I usually can point them out by of course hearing their American accent, but I also see them dressing 'American', and another tale tell sign is them wearing a sweatshirt/t-shirt with an American college emblem design.

When you are traveling overseas, do you make an effort to say hello to fellow Americans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 09:34 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,981,726 times
I recently returned from two weeks in the Middle East (Dubai and Muscat, Oman) and we only saw four Americans the whole time, until we got to the Dubai Airport to come home when we saw a fifth. Ironically, two of the four we saw were from Fort Worth, TX (we were from Austin) and were in the same vehicle as us for our desert safari. It was really an odd sensation, when you thought about it, to realize that there just weren't that many Americans anywhere around. It was nice though and made an exotic vacation really feel like an exotic vacation. Most of the people in the Middle East thought we were British since we were speaking English and didn't understand "USA" or "United States". We had to say "America" before they understood where we were from. (They obviously had never heard a very strong East Texan accent before!)

Old 10-10-2014, 09:53 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
I always find it fun to talk to tourists from the US when overseas, particularly when in more obscure places (e.g. not London or Paris). I don't "dress American", as in I don't wear sneakers, baseball hat, white athletic socks or team logo shirts everywhere. I don't act like the stereotypical "Ugly American" so I am hard to pick out of a line-up. 7 Signs You're An Ugly American*|*SmarterTravel Most of my conversations with other Americans overseas have been because we overheard each other speaking.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:34 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post

I usually can point them out by of course hearing their American accent, but I also see them dressing 'American', and another tale tell sign is them wearing a sweatshirt/t-shirt with an American college emblem design.
We ended up having a nice talk with a couple in Florida Gators sweatshirts on a street in Garmisch-Partenkirken, Germany. They'd just spent two weeks in the Dresden area (Russian as a second language in East German days) and were glad to hear not just English but American English again.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:39 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,605,540 times
I try my best to fit the ugly american sterotype when travelling overseas for the lulz. Used to have a bush cheney 2004 shirt. It seems like fellow americans get the most annoyed.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:07 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I don't make it a point, but I don't avoid it, either.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:09 PM

997 posts, read 1,060,503 times
We were sitting at a pub in Dublin this past summer and I happened to be wearing an Easy Street Records t-shirt, a record shop in Seattle. There was a college age guy sitting at the barrel next to us and he asked if we were from Seattle. We are not, but he was. Ended up having a lovely 90 minute conversation about music while drinking our Guinness.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:12 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,963 times
Maybe not fellow American as I am not. Passing through a rural central american village I ran into a volunteer woman who said it was so nice to hear English again in person. She was away from the states for 6 months and spoke the native language to locals.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:55 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I don't make it a point, but I don't avoid it, either.
I feel the same unless I overhear people needing help or I need help with something (like directions, etc.) in a place where English isn't spoken by the locals.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:15 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Maybe not fellow American as I am not. Passing through a rural central american village I ran into a volunteer woman who said it was so nice to hear English again in person. She was away from the states for 6 months and spoke the native language to locals.
Just remembered also on that same trip had other Canadians and Americans come up to me and start a conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel