Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 10:28 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
What ridiculous advice. I'm into my 50's and still running half marathons. Hardly wheelchair bound. I expect to be quite able to climb the Cupola in St. Peter's or the Castle of San Giovanni in Kotor again when I'm 70.
The point is that most people don't start traveling until they retire - that's usually into the 70s and while you anticipate you will be in good shape, so do I, many are not.
I was in Bali a few years back and was visiting a beautiful temple up a long flight of stairs, no way of seeing it without climbing. An older couple was with us, sadly - they could not make it up the stairs. I've seen this over and over in my travels and I always think to myself "thank God I started traveling young".
Try hiking a stretch of the Wall of China when you are 70. You see 20 somethings huffing and puffing and struggling.
Travel early, travel often
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 10:59 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The point is that most people don't start traveling until they retire - that's usually into the 70s and while you anticipate you will be in good shape, so do I, many are not.
I was in Bali a few years back and was visiting a beautiful temple up a long flight of stairs, no way of seeing it without climbing. An older couple was with us, sadly - they could not make it up the stairs. I've seen this over and over in my travels and I always think to myself "thank God I started traveling young".
Try hiking a stretch of the Wall of China when you are 70. You see 20 somethings huffing and puffing and struggling.
Travel early, travel often
People usually don't retire until their 70's? Really?

I know many people who are well into their 70's who are very fit and could go on long hikes. Unless I have some major health issue I'll be able to do long hikes or up steep climbs when I'm in my 70's. It's not problem whatsoever now and I'm 62. And my husband can go even farther and he's 66.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:17 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post

I know many people who are well into their 70's who are very fit and could go on long hikes. Unless I have some major health issue I'll be able to do long hikes or up steep climbs when I'm in my 70's. It's not problem whatsoever now and I'm 62. And my husband can go even farther and he's 66.
My mother in law can no longer travel with us because of advanced age. The spirit is willing, etc. We'll take her on easy trips like Hawaii. But our last trip to China was the last trip to China for her. She simply cannot do it anymore. Her dream is to visit Paris, and I don't see how that's going to be possible. Maybe with a senior bus tour. But any real walking and she's exhausted after 10 minutes. (And this is a woman who until a couple years ago was best described as "spry.")

That's why I knock out the difficult trips now. I don't have a crystal ball to know how fit I'll be when I'm in my 70s.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:18 AM

7 posts, read 12,716 times
According to what I read about countries like Israel, if you visit there first, you might not make it back to see the other countries. And then, you know how many scams are all over the world especially for tourists. I saw the travel channel pay scammers to secretly film what is really happening to innocent people for visiting another country like even main street city restaurants.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:21 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:

Agree! One of the people who climbed the mountain in Kotor with me was 76 at the time!

Making generalizations is a bad idea. I've seen more out of shape 20 year olds than 70 year olds who travel (not including those who only go on mass market cruises to have a never ending buffet of food and drink and to claim they "travel" when most of what they do is walk from their cabin to a restaurant or the pool deck or BINGO.)

Old 10-14-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkinpark14 View Post
According to what I read about countries like Israel, if you visit there first, you might not make it back to see the other countries. And then, you know how many scams are all over the world especially for tourists. I saw the travel channel pay scammers to secretly film what is really happening to innocent people for visiting another country like even main street city restaurants.
And I read that Bill Gates is giving everyone who likes a certain Facebook page a check for $1000.

People with some common sense are fine in most countries. Scammers exist in the US as well you know...

Old 10-14-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
My mother in law can no longer travel with us because of advanced age. The spirit is willing, etc. We'll take her on easy trips like Hawaii. But our last trip to China was the last trip to China for her. She simply cannot do it anymore. Her dream is to visit Paris, and I don't see how that's going to be possible. Maybe with a senior bus tour. But any real walking and she's exhausted after 10 minutes. (And this is a woman who until a couple years ago was best described as "spry.")

That's why I knock out the difficult trips now. I don't have a crystal ball to know how fit I'll be when I'm in my 70s.
The only trip we know we really need to do sooner than later is Antarctica, because you can't get travel insurance with medical evacuation coverage for that trip after you hit 70. And if there is any place you'd need it, that's the one.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:19 PM

234 posts, read 220,024 times
Quote:
I'm in Argyll which is west of Glasgow across the water - about 1.5 hours travel. But I go to Glasgow often.
Glasgow in Australia? Thats where I wanna go...I just watched the Rugby sevens this past weekend at Glasgow..what a nice play....lucky you...

Old 10-14-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

It's an individual thing. I've seen people who were old at 50 and those who are still young at 90. I am much more fit than my son who is 41. There is a man who works out in my gym who is 74 and is very fit, as fit as me if not moreso.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Sign View Post
Glasgow in Australia? Thats where I wanna go...I just watched the Rugby sevens this past weekend at Glasgow..what a nice play....lucky you...
Australia??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel