Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 01:24 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Read my post correctly before getting on your high horse. I said "Soooo many Asians, I felt like a giant." It had nothing to do with race.

It had everything to do with my idyllic dream of tanned surfers with blond hair, beautiful big white, sandy, wide-spreading beaches under a golden sun, none of which turned out to be true for the whole week I was there.
you dreamed of a beach full of blond surfers and then say it has nothing to do with RACE? You do know only white people may have blond hair, right?

And honestly, what difference does it make if the surfers nearby have blond or black hair?

Plus, what kind of people go to Hawaii, which is known to be the only US state where white is the minority, expecting to be surrounded by blond surfers?

You want blond people, you visit Sweden or Norway. Not Hawaii.

Even your idyllic dream is full of racism by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 01:26 PM

352 posts, read 324,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I respect different opinions but to say a large city like Paris is not good because it is dirty, crowded and overpriced doesn't seem a reasonable justification... Which large metropolis/capital city in the rich countries are not dirty, crowded and overpriced? London? New York? Hong Kong? Tokyo (it is not dirty but definitely expensive and super crowded).

If you don't like dirty crowded and expensive cities, just don't visit big rich country cities. It is not like these features are unique to Paris.

Agree with you about Athens and Venice. But Athens is not really overrated because not many people rave about how pleasant Athens is. Venice, despite all the problems you said, is still a pretty unique city. It is overrated, but definitely worth a couple of days checking it out.
No, Paris is far dirtier than NYC, London and many others...all of France is that way. They do not clean up after themselves or their dogs. At all.

Crowded is a reason to dislike a place when all the places you'd want to see are absolutely bogged down with massive crowds of loud and obnoxious tourists. You don't have the same issues in places like London or St. Petersburg.

Overpriced is a MAJOR factor in whether or not a place is a good tourist destination. Prague is wonderful because you get a lot of bang for your buck. You can go and do stuff on a relative budget. Paris you pay a premium for everything related to tourism. You just don't get as much for what you pay for, and that's a major factor in people's vacations.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:30 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
I've visited both of The World's Largest Balls of Twine and enjoyed them. I love to travel and can almost always find something about a location that's unique or satisfying to me.

But we live in a rapidly changing world and some places I've enjoyed very much I have returned to only to be disappointed. The one most outstanding in my mind is Playa del Carmen, MX. For decades it was an undeveloped piece of paradise and then a relatively small tourist-oriented town. On my last visit the crowds, the prices, the eroded beach and the polluted water proved that no place does well with too much popularity, massive influx of people and haphazard growth.

And even more sad is the realization that I was one of the multitudes that participated in its decline by being there.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:32 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Gotta agree on Paris, filthy, tacky and unfriendly. Belgium was waay cool.

overrated here

Lake George Village
Saratoga Race Course

Old 10-15-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post

In Europe alone, I find the following (not including the smaller ones) cities to be superior to Paris: Munich, Vienna, Rome, Florence, Naples, Barcelona, Prague, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Antwerp and Budapest.
I almost took you seriously until you said Naples is superior to Paris when you emphasized how dirty Paris is.

All the problems you described about Paris seem to be present in Rome as well and probably more severe. No? If Paris is designed as a pure tourist trap, then I can't begin to say what kind of cities Florence and Prague are. In fact, one reason I love Paris is because besides all the tourist attractions, I consider it to be a real city I totally can live in and enjoy, unlike Florence and Prague, which are dominated by tourism and you hardly get to see the real local lives.

Munich and Vienna are very nice cities, cleaner, lack of many problems you said about Paris, but largely because they are much smaller cities. (and Germany speaking cities tend to be a bit cleaner). But to say Vienna is on the same league as Paris only shows one's preference toward smaller cities. Munich is more interesting only because it has easy access to the alps nearby, not that the city itself offers more than Paris.

As to Stockholm, Copenhagen, etc, oK, I get it, you prefer clean smaller cities (with less than 1million people).

Old 10-15-2014, 01:34 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
you dreamed of a beach full of blond surfers and then say it has nothing to do with RACE? You do know only white people may have blond hair, right?

And honestly, what difference does it make if the surfers nearby have blond or black hair?

Plus, what kind of people go to Hawaii, which is known to be the only US state where white is the minority, expecting to be surrounded by blond surfers?

You want blond people, you visit Sweden or Norway. Not Hawaii.

Even your idyllic dream is full of racism by the way.
I'm a white chick that watched the Brady Bunch Goes to Hawaii & Magnum PI and that's what I expected to see. So effing sue me.

Get over yourself. It's obvious by your posts you just want to argue with people. Sorry, I'm not a doorknob.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
No, Paris is far dirtier than NYC, London and many others...all of France is that way. They do not clean up after themselves or their dogs. At all.
I think NYC is way dirtier than Paris. NYC's subway is known for being rat-infested.

As to London, the Thames is surprisingly dirty as well. I didn't find London to be cleaner than Paris whatsoever.

Well, I am not surprised. Americans don't like Paris/France, largely because America/American English is often considered uncouth and looked down upon there. hahaha.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I'm a white chick that watched the Brady Bunch Goes to Hawaii & Magnum PI and that's what I expected to see. So effing sue me.

Get over yourself. It's obvious by your posts you just want to argue with people. Sorry, I'm not a doorknob.
yeah, flying all the way expecting to see blond surfers in Hawaii shows how smart you are.
Arguing with you is beneath my intelligence.

Let me give you some basic education:

Hawaii is 25% white only, any among white people, only 5-8% are naturally blond. So in reality, you should expect to see 1.25-2% of Hawaiian surfers to be blond.

Next time try California. There are more blonds (fake ones included of course) that meet your expectation better.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:47 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If Montreal was in Europe it would be as desirable a destination as, say, Brussels.
Still with this thought: If Frankfurt am Main were in the U.S., urbanistas there would rave about it in similar terms to how they rave about Boston or something. In Europe it gets no love.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:54 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
I think NYC is way dirtier than Paris. NYC's subway is known for being rat-infested.
I'll take your NYC subway and raise you the Boston green line. While it's nice that you can take it for free from Logan to downtown, dang, it's a pit of an underground rail system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel