Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 12:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If you hit the Gold level of Hilton Hhonors, you get complimentary breakfast at the Hilton Garner Inns. To get gold, you have to have 20 stays or 40 night in a 12 month period.
We used to be gold when we were still working. It also used to be easier, especially when they had Hilton Senior HHonors program, but those days are gone. I am glad to hear about the gold and the Garden Inns. They do sometimes give us a coupon for breakfast but not always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 12:24 PM

20,392 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I've stayed in tons of lodgings all over the US. I join all the loyalty programs, but honestly...I'm not very loyal.

If I'm going to a scenic location with my family or a group, I want a rental house or condo sort of thing. I did that on the White River at Newland's Lodge in Arkansas, and it was awesome. Gorgeous place in a fantastic setting. Great wifi, too, surprisingly! I do this sort of deal for all beach vacations, too.

Usually when I travel it's to a concert event. For one festival thing we do in Richmond, VA, we (about 60 or so people I know) take over one particular Clarion. It's because they have a central pool that never closes and they let us get away with late night shenanigans. In fact they want to coordinate with me next year for group discounts and a free breakfast buffet. It's not really convenient to our events, but they treat our crazy group well enough, so it's worth an extra 15-20 minutes onto the drive to the event venue.

For most concerts though, I head into the city and stay the night and head home after. I strongly prefer to be close to the event, within walking distance if possible.

Unfortunately since many of these things go down right in the heart of a city, the costs for the hotels can be high...and I do NOT like how more expensive hotels nickel and dime you!! It makes me SO MAD. I'm sorry but if I pay $200 or more for a room, it's just tacky to then charge me for wifi, breakfast, or parking on top of that. And one thing I've learned is to park in a nearby municipal lot when I can and pay for a day's worth of parking, instead of doing valet parking which usually costs more (and requires a tip.) I strongly prefer a good solid chain hotel with the free services and standard amenities.

On road trips I learned to look for small towns right off the interstate (one exit towns) with chain hotels, they tend to be cheaper than anywhere near a bigger city. A nice Best Western right off the highway shouldn't run more than $80, if you're shopping smart on a road trip. I usually am able to get a really nice hotel room in a city for around $150 if I carefully price shop. It's about what I'm paying for the Andaluz in Albuquerque soon, and what I paid for the Omni in Richmond last June.

A couple of my FAVORITE ever hotels:

Fairfield Inn, Tulsa OK (newer hotel, shines like a fancy city hotel but has the 3 big freebies and nice rates.)
Best Western Northwest Lodge, Boise, ID (VERY comfortable beds.)

Old 10-27-2014, 04:05 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Honestly, these days, I am loyal to one thing:

MY WALLET.

I will stay at any chain that delivers on what they say at a reasonable price. I am not looking for the cheapest place but I am also NOT going to be nicked and dimed.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:52 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What Hilton Garden Inns have you stayed in? We have stayed in none that offer breakfast as part of the rate. Yes, sometimes they will give us a coupon for a full breakfast or the Sunday buffet. They did that just a few months ago as a matter of fact.. I prefer Homewood Suites, but it is up to each to decide what works best for them.
Many. The last three were probably Jacksonville (near JAX), Albany, NY, and Boston or Baltimore, can't recall which.

If you are Gold or above with HH, you get free continental breakfast buffet at them. You can upgrade to the cooked to order for about $7.

If you are HH Gold or above, they should be giving you breakfast. Speak to the manager if they aren't.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:11 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,532 times
One thing I will grant Hilton Garden Inn is that they have never tried to charge me an upgrade fee for getting two beds. Courtyard ALWAYS does (altho they have the pull out bed so not the end of the world). Hyatt place never does either. I'm usually rooming with another person to save money so hate it when hotels do this. If Wal-Mart ever found out how many times I have bought one of their cots and returned it a few days later I'm pretty sure I'd be banned for life lol

Old 10-29-2014, 10:33 PM

23,537 posts, read 24,029,400 times
4 stars at a minimum, usually 5 star places or resorts.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:30 AM

338 posts, read 421,283 times
Quote:
"Unfortunately since many of these things go down right in the heart of a city, the cost for the hotels can be high... and I do not like how more expensive hotels nickel and dime you! It makes me so mad. I'm sorry but if I pay $200 or more for a room, it's just tacky to then charge me for 802-11 access, breakfast, or parking on top of that. And one thing I've learnt is to park in a nearby municipal lot when I can and pay for a day's worth of parking, instead of doing valet parking which usually costs more (and requires a tip). I strongly prefer a good solid chain hotel with the free services and standard amenities."
Which means avoiding anything branded "Kimpton", which, from experience, aren't really all that special. Can't figure out why people rave so about them.

Saying of which, their property in downtown Seattle would be good fodder for that other hotel thread...

Old 10-30-2014, 02:31 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Usually Hampton Inn, Staybridge Suites, or Residence Inn.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:06 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
The cheaper the hotel/motel the better. I have a hard time spending over $80/night for one. I basically never spend time there. I want to be out and about and come back just to sleep.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:10 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
The cheaper the hotel/motel the better. I have a hard time spending over $80/night for one. I basically never spend time there. I want to be out and about and come back just to sleep.
I feel the same, especially when traveling alone. When two people travel together, it is easier to save.

Just booked 7 nights hotels for Lisbon and Barcelona for about US$300 in total, breakfast included. Both are in fantastic location, walking distance/short subway ride to main attractions as well as easy access to airport with no interchange required, and both have 8+ rating from tripadvisor. They are not 4 star of course but I think it will be good value.

I find hotels in American hotels very expensive - expensive in the sense that they don't have a lot of inexpensive options. In European cities, there are many small non-frill hotels/B&Bs in central location for single travelers. But in American cities, the standard is two double bed, even when you don't need them. Cities like Boston, Chicago and San Francisco are more expensive than say Vienna, Munich and Barcelona.

New York is notoriously expensive. I mean it should be expensive, but it is way more expensive than London. 4 years ago the two of us spent about $100 a night on a 4-star Hilton in central London (two double bed). In New York city it is almost impossible unless you stay at some outlaying burbs in Brooklyn. Staying at a small hotel (private room and bath) cost me about $60 a night in Tokyo, which is supposed to be the most expensive city in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel