Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 07:28 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times

Advertisements

About once a year we take the Acela to NYC and back as we have family in that area plus we enjoy visiting the city.

The first time we took the Acela, we found ourselves sitting in the "Quiet Car". Back then, the signage wasn't as clear as it is now. Sitting in that car made us realize that we enjoyed the quiet and always make sure to respect the rules.

However...In the last couple of years, we noticed that every time we've been in the car, there are some people who don't follow the rules. Either they talk loudly or use their cell phones. After one really disastrous trip, I emailed Amtrak about the experience and suggested that they place more signage in the car and make more frequent announcements stating the rules.

The next time we rode the Acela, the signage was better (no, I don't think it was just because I emailed). Yet, it seems, that extra signage doesn't make much of a difference.

Today, we returned home on the Acela and found ourselves being the "Quiet Car" police once again. Right across from us was a French couple who were talking loudly. My husband actually put earplugs in but could still hear them. He spoke up to them about the noise and I let them know that yes, you can talk but very quietly. After that, they quieted down. Then a woman sitting next to then started talking on her cellphone. My husband went up to her and told her that cellphone usage wasn't allowed. She didn't believe us---and English was her first language. I pointed out the sign and she still didn't believe it. Finally, we told her that we were going to get the conductor. Her response to that was "I would love to talk to the conductor about this!" The conductor once again announced the rules of the car after my husband spoke to him.

If I wanted to have a long conversation or talk on my phone, I wouldn't sit in the "Quiet Car". So I can't understand why people would deliberately sit there and disobey the rules!

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, did you say anything to the offending person or persons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 10:42 AM

556 posts, read 946,383 times
I live in Baltimore and have lots of family and friends in various cities served by the NE Regional, so I take Amtrak a lot. I used to prefer the quiet car - 95% of the time it was like a library. The other 5% was filled with clueless people who apparently can't read or hear because the signs are everywhere and the conductor explains the rules after every stop. After a few very frustrating trips, I've stopped using the quiet car altogether. I've found that other cars are mostly just as quiet as the quiet car. When people are talking, it's usually quiet conversation and blends into white noise of sorts. I also realized that I was more annoyed by the fact that quiet car talkers were breaking the rules, more so than by the noise. Leaving the quiet car allowed me to relax and worry less about what other people are doing.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:10 PM

293 posts, read 563,633 times
The times that I've been in the quiet car, the rules have been vigorously enforced to the point of being told to put my phone away 2 seconds after taking it out (for the purpose of texting). Never had a problem with anybody, as people were barely even given the chance to misbehave. The quiet was appreciated, but at times it felt like I was back in middle school!

Old 10-26-2014, 08:42 PM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
I rarely sit in the quiet car of our commuter train. However one can still be quiet when using their phone. I have my earphones on and use the iphone or iPod to do other things than than make/take phone calls. There's music to listen to, apps that improve memory and other learning skills.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:50 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
I ride the quiet car on NJ Transit commuter trains. No one cares if you have your phone out as long as you aren't talking on it and it doesn't ring. There are always people who break the rules, but they get informed fairly quickly.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:50 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
I am sitting in a Panera right now. There is music playing and people in the background conversing. It really does NOT bother me.

Yesterday, I was doing the same in the QUIET section of the library. There was 25% of the noise but it was more disturbing as people were constantly talking and making RACKET.

Maybe, it is the expectations.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:15 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bos2iad View Post
about once a year we take the acela to nyc and back as we have family in that area plus we enjoy visiting the city.

The first time we took the acela, we found ourselves sitting in the "quiet car". Back then, the signage wasn't as clear as it is now. Sitting in that car made us realize that we enjoyed the quiet and always make sure to respect the rules.

However...in the last couple of years, we noticed that every time we've been in the car, there are some people who don't follow the rules. Either they talk loudly or use their cell phones. After one really disastrous trip, i emailed amtrak about the experience and suggested that they place more signage in the car and make more frequent announcements stating the rules.

The next time we rode the acela, the signage was better (no, i don't think it was just because i emailed). Yet, it seems, that extra signage doesn't make much of a difference.

Today, we returned home on the acela and found ourselves being the "quiet car" police once again. Right across from us was a french couple who were talking loudly. My husband actually put earplugs in but could still hear them. He spoke up to them about the noise and i let them know that yes, you can talk but very quietly. After that, they quieted down. Then a woman sitting next to then started talking on her cellphone. My husband went up to her and told her that cellphone usage wasn't allowed. She didn't believe us---and english was her first language. I pointed out the sign and she still didn't believe it. Finally, we told her that we were going to get the conductor. Her response to that was "i would love to talk to the conductor about this!" the conductor once again announced the rules of the car after my husband spoke to him.

If i wanted to have a long conversation or talk on my phone, i wouldn't sit in the "quiet car". So i can't understand why people would deliberately sit there and disobey the rules!

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, did you say anything to the offending person or persons?
I would have YELLED SHUT UP!!! at them!

Old 10-30-2014, 02:18 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
Nowadays, folks are all about "Me, me, me"...If they don't like a rule, they simply break it. If they don't like what someone else is doing, they get it outlawed....its a crazy world. No respect for anything!

Old 11-01-2014, 01:53 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Nowadays, folks are all about "Me, me, me"...If they don't like a rule, they simply break it. If they don't like what someone else is doing, they get it outlawed....its a crazy world. No respect for anything!
Sadly, I think that this is correct. There are too many selfish people who don't think that the rules apply to them.

The people sitting next to us who were breaking the rules didn't even apologize for doing so. In fact, the French tourists gave us a dirty look when we told their seatmate that she wasn't allowed to use her cellphone in the "Quiet Car"!

Old 11-01-2014, 02:51 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
AY-MEN.

No respect for rules or anything in our society anymore. That extends to everything in our society, and encompasses all age and social groups.

Don't like rules or regulations? No problemo, start a 'viral' campaign on Facebook or the internetz to state your case why you think you don't have to follow the rules or regulations, make yourself out to be the 'hero' and martyr against 'fascism,' and bask in your 15 minutes of fame. We see it in our schools, where kids want to wear whatever they want or do their hair or makeup, and ***** when they can't have their way. So on and so forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel