Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:23 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,737,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Flying is just one hassle after another.

Asking passengers to weigh in will be the death knell for an already beleaguered industry.

As to the person who said they "take care of themselves" - GOOD for you for having the right genetics and no medical problems!
whether being fat because of lifestyle or genetics is irrelevant here, don't you see that? You pay your fair share of fuel cost, because if you don't, other passengers will have to pay it for you. Fairness doesn't mean everyone pays the same amount. It means everyone pays his fair share.

Plus, we are already weighing the luggage. I don't think weighing the passengers is gonna take a whole lot of more time.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:27 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,611,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Some people may complain "it is not fair, I am born this big". It doesn't matter, because it takes more fuel for the aircraft to carry you than a little person, and it is not fair for that person to subsidize you (pay same fare while consuming less energy). The incremental cost to make a bigger shirt/longer pants are negligible, but the incremental cost to transport 200 pounds of body mass is not.
It sounds more like some people are complaining "it's not fair, I was born small, I should get a discount."

Old 10-29-2014, 07:27 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,737,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What about the guy who is 6ft 5 inches, should he have to pay more because God gave him height, but the little gal, who is 30 lbs overweight but only 5 ft tall pays less?
How does that matter? The policy is not supposed to punish/reward someone for its lifestyle or general health. It is about paying the fuel that is used to transport you from A to B. That 5ft tall girl might be fat but it still takes half the gas to move her than the highly healthy and fit 6.5ft guy. If this guy costs more fuel, why shouldn't he pay more?

How come people don't understand this? Whether you are fat or not or why is no concern for the airline. What they care about, and rightly so, is how much fuel is needed to move you from one city to another in the air.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:30 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,617,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Sounds unrealistic, but it is exactly what some airlines are doing

Airline to start charging passengers for their total body and luggage weight | This is That with Pat Kelly and Peter Oldring | CBC Radio

Considering fuel cost is one of the biggest operating cost for airlines, I think it is a fair and reasonable policy. You pay according to the total weight of your entire luggage and your own body, so that a 95lbs skinny girl with nothing but a handbag doesn't have to subsidize a 300lbs guy with two checked in bags and two heavy carry-ons. Yes, it is subsidizing.

I hope more airlines will start doing that. Some people may complain "it is not fair, I am born this big". It doesn't matter, because it takes more fuel for the aircraft to carry you than a little person, and it is not fair for that person to subsidize you (pay same fare while consuming less energy). The incremental cost to make a bigger shirt/longer pants are negligible, but the incremental cost to transport 200 pounds of body mass is not.
I think they should. An overweight person takes up the room two normal ppl would occupy! Logically.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:32 AM

13,408 posts, read 28,747,273 times
Most ridiculous thought the airline has come up with..shaking my head here.
What next weigh ins before you board a bus, a train or a ship??? After all they all need to pay fuel as well

Old 10-29-2014, 07:35 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,617,439 times
Or maybe they should use B-52's to carry the extra heavy folks from now on!!!! Since they won't change their destructive lifestyle.

If this guy is not going to have LEG room because of the overweight person behind him, then he will need to buy two rows if seats to accommodate his height, hence pay more regardless. These planes are made for midgets.
Quote:
What about the guy who is 6ft 5 inches, should he have to pay more because God gave him height

Old 10-29-2014, 07:35 AM

8,077 posts, read 12,799,949 times
Some people would have to pay more just because of genetics. It would be unfair to charge a full grown man (6'6") extra if he is not obese. Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-10-2014 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: Image deleted.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:37 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,028,982 times
Before jumping on or staying off this bandwagon, it would be nice to know more about how much the added (or reduced) weight of passengers would affect the overall fuel use and expense.

I did find some calculations for a hypothetical 737 flying Boston to Denver. Empty, the typical plane would cost $6600 in fuel to make the trip. At 85% capacity (122 passengers), about $7900. Or a little more than $10 a passenger.

I do not see how an airline could justify $2.50 per pound over a certain price point, if the TOTAL cost of a passenger was relatively around $10. That seems exhorbitant.

Of course, thats the point isn't it? To create one more exorbitant fee on passengers, justified by some "cost" to operating the flight, but really intended to bring in higher profits.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Or maybe they should use B-52's to carry the extra heavy folks from now on!!!! Since they won't change their destructive lifestyle.

If this guy is not going to have LEG room because of the overweight person behind him, then he will need to buy two rows if seats to accommodate his height, hence pay more regardless. These planes are made for midgets.
my weight is normal so the charge would be reasonable but the bolded up above is ignorant statement, not all over weight people are that way due to destructive lifestyles...just saying

Old 10-29-2014, 07:39 AM

Y'all do realize that the cut off weight of 90 lbs means CHILDREN will be flying really cheap......
Be much more economical to take those kiddies on vacation now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel