Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 10:55 AM

321 posts, read 292,747 times

Advertisements

I can't recall ever having a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 11:13 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
I usually sleep fine. I won't stay in a crappy hotel, so generally loud noisy patrons are not an issue, and the bedding is usually quite nice.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
I love to travel but hate staying at hotels and not sleeping. If I don't sleep I am so tired all day with a splitting headache which does not encourage me to do much touring, so the day is ruined.

I generally sleep fine in very expensive and fancy hotels with deluxe mattresses and advanced heating and air-conditioning units and soundproofing, but generally I can't afford these places.

The mid level places I can afford tend to be noisy, have terrible mattresses that seem like I am on the floor, and terrible air-conditioning or heating units that turn on and off all night.

Can you relate or can you sleep like a baby at a motel?
I have had very little trouble with the mid priced hotels, like say, Holiday Inns and Hampton Inns being uncomfortable or noisy except for the heating/AC but I just don't sleep well when away from home. Even on a cruise ship it takes me 2 or 3 nights to adjust. I usually do not get a headache, just am tired from lack of sleep. I do fall asleep fast, just don't stay that way long. Of course I sometimes have the same trouble at home; awake at 1am and don't get back to sleep til 3 or 4am. I will say, there have been maybe, a dozen times in all our travel adventures where the noise from the hall has been an issue. One time in Vegas I actually got out of bed, opened the door and told them to knock it off: It was a couple in the hallway having a fight. I am sure one or both were drunk. I will add, it was an upscale hotel. Not a 5 star but certainly a 4 star.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:43 AM

88 posts, read 80,567 times
I have discovered that the best way to get a good nights sleep is to bring my own pillow. I sleep with a firm down pillow and the hotels rarely have anything except cheap poly fill that is way too soft and gives me a neck and head ache.

When I check into a hotel the first thing that I always have to do is remake the bed. I am very particular about my bed and I can't have any wrinkles or bumps and the sheets/blanket has to be just right. Taking the bed apart also gives me a chance to look for bed bugs which are very common in hotels these days. I also make sure that I have a couple of cold bottles of water handy because the last thing I want to do is drink the water that comes out of the hotel sink faucet.

It has to be very dark when I sleep so I make sure that the hotel room has black-out curtains or at least very heavy curtains so that lights from the parking lot don't invade my space. I try to request a room that is close to the front desk and not near the ice machine or elevator.

Usually, I will sleep "ok" but it is a strange environment and I tend to wake up several times during the night. Even in high-end hotels, I don't sleep as well as I do at home.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:10 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Sometimes I sleep very well and sometimes I have trouble sleeping. It depends on many factors such light, noise level, time differences, how tired I really am, how comfortable the bed is, etc.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:25 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
I love staying at hotels & I rarely ever do. I sleep great at hotels because there's the white noise of the air & the drapes are nice & opaque, dark as a tomb. Now if I'm at a dead hooker under the bed motel, not so much.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:35 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,126,017 times
I love to travel and usually don't have any trouble sleeping in hotels. I have a drink and watch a little TV and off to sleep.

I do usually wake up really early when I sleep at a hotel though. I have two Siamese cats that sneak into the bed every night after I am asleep and sleep on my feet. Maybe I wake up because I feel like something is missing.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:35 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
I tend to not sleep well in hotel beds, unless I am extremely tired. Lots of times the mattresses are terrible as are the pillows. My husband, on the other hand, only has a problem sleeping in hotels if it is extremely noisy.

It helps me to put in earplugs so that noises (like my husband snoring which he seems to do more while on vacation LOL) are blocked out.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:54 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Most of you about need EARPLUGS!

Started wearing them because of my cat about a decade ago and never looked back!

What irks me is the maid knocking on my door as early as 8AM!! I always make it known to front desk that i have a severe circadian rhythm displacement and wake up on average of 1 -2pm. I always request a late check out due to this. But it NEVER FAILS that that loud rapping at my door wakes me even with DO NOT DISTURB on.

So yes, I have major problems! GRRRRR!

Old 10-30-2014, 06:22 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
I sleep like a baby unless the roaches start crawling too energetically on me.

I wish I was kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel