Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 07:08 AM

457 posts, read 645,384 times

Advertisements

I always travel with a supply of Chamomile and Kava Kava for the dives I can afford to stay in. There have been some where I've actually HAD to sleep on the floor because, folks, they call those "bed" bugs for a reason. They tend not to find me as fast if I'm on the FLOOR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 09:22 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,399,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post

I got itchy after staying a motel where my roommate emailed me later and asked if I got "itchy" after our stay (arms, legs, and body)... turned out, he suspected that the hotel didn't properly wash the sheets and linens, and there were bed bugs of sorts
After getting bed bugs on a cruise and taking them home with me which caused quite a commotion for a considerable amount of time I have learned this:

Properly washed sheets won't take care of bed bugs. They are actually hiding in the mattress. Take a small can of bed bug spray with you and spray the bed down after you arrive. This won't eliminate them but it will keep them in the mattress for a while.

I wouldn't depend on sleeping on the bedspread as a safeguard to health issues. They are often the least sanitary thing in your room. I always fold mine topside in and set it aside.

You can check for the bugs if you'd like. They are the shape of a grain of rice although smaller and they are brown. They hide in the creases of the mattress.

Don't leave your suitcase on the floor or open. I usually close mine and put it in the bathroom.

Don't think because you paid a lot for the room that you will be safe from bedbugs. They have no preference for the affluent or poverty-stricken.

Edited: Sorry. Totally off topic. In an effort to redeem myself I'll add that if the bedbugs are loud at night call the front desk.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:29 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,714,912 times
In cheaper hotels, the noise is more of an issue than the quality of the bed (which was seldom an issue for me). So I bring a few pairs of earplugs every time I travel. Plus, I am usually exhausted after a day of walking so it makes sleeping easier.

This past month I stayed in Rome, and wall seems completely useless as I could hear every word the Italian couple next door says. When I put on my earplugs, they hardly bothered me any more. :P

Old 10-31-2014, 10:51 AM

394 posts, read 1,430,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
I love to travel but hate staying at hotels and not sleeping. If I don't sleep I am so tired all day with a splitting headache which does not encourage me to do much touring, so the day is ruined.

I generally sleep fine in very expensive and fancy hotels with deluxe mattresses and advanced heating and air-conditioning units and soundproofing, but generally I can't afford these places.

The mid level places I can afford tend to be noisy, have terrible mattresses that seem like I am on the floor, and terrible air-conditioning or heating units that turn on and off all night.

Can you relate or can you sleep like a baby at a motel?
Travelling away from home relaxes me, so I'm usually fine as long as I get a safe vibe from where the hotel is. I can definitely see why people have different experiences though. It's certainly not always smooth sailing.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:25 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,685,373 times
I never could sleep well in hotels or being away from home and yet like the OP I love to travel . I also have to do quite a bit of traveling for work, so I cannot afford a bad night's sleep when on the road.

I had the doctor prescribe me valium (5mg) for when I travel, so I take them before I go to sleep in the hotel and sleep like a baby....no matter how noisy, uncomfortable the bed, etc.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:07 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
I don't really sleep, the beds and pillows are softer so I feel like I'm sinking in.
We have that issue as well. My gf and I don't have any problems sleeping, but we invariably wake up with one hell of a backache every morning we're on vacation. We have one of those extra firm Beautyrest Comforpedic mattresses that's like sleeping on a rock and no hotel bed even comes close in firmness to that thing

Old 10-31-2014, 04:11 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,423,637 times
You need:

Kirafu woobie packable blanket

Inflatable Travel Pillow

Portable door lock

White noise loop on your iPod

ipod speakers

slippers

warm sleeping clothes

Some sort of air freshener

Old 10-31-2014, 04:14 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,773,356 times
I always end up oversleeping because the curtains are so effective at blocking the outside lighting and the sunlight.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:36 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,249 times
Two things put me into hotels: long car trips, and business conventions. Either way, I'm pretty worn out by bedtime so I sleep very well. The conventions are at first class hotels, always plush; on car trips, we stay at mid-level places.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:10 PM

225 posts, read 394,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
I love to travel but hate staying at hotels and not sleeping. If I don't sleep I am so tired all day with a splitting headache which does not encourage me to do much touring, so the day is ruined.

I generally sleep fine in very expensive and fancy hotels with deluxe mattresses and advanced heating and air-conditioning units and soundproofing, but generally I can't afford these places.

The mid level places I can afford tend to be noisy, have terrible mattresses that seem like I am on the floor, and terrible air-conditioning or heating units that turn on and off all night.

Can you relate or can you sleep like a baby at a motel?
I sleep just fine but then I make sure that I do

Most of the time it is not the bed but the ambient noise and light in the room you are staying that keeps you up. Since I travel for pleasure and not business so ear plugs and a sleep mask do the trick for me. I also do this during hospital stays. Just pack what you need to be comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel