Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 08:30 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
you talk as if SF is particularly interesting...

To visit I think it is. Probably my favorite North American city to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 08:41 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times
DC has improved quite a bit in the past 20 years. It has all the government and history stuff that it always had, but also now has good restaurants, bars, night life, coffee shops and so forth.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:49 AM

520 posts, read 601,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post

Top 10 Cities

1. Washington, DC, USA
2. El Chaltén, Argentina
3. Milan, Italy
4. Zermatt, Switzerland
5. Valletta, Malta
6. Plovdiv, Bulgaria
7. Salisbury, UK
8. Vienna, Austria
9. Chennai, India
10. Toronto, Canada
Glad to see Plovdiv on the list. It's a great city.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:12 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Singapore - clean, safe, but with that, it's plastic and boring, generic. Like being stuck in a giant shopping mall, just no personality to it, and complete with robot citizens (an exception might be the Orchard Towers).
I was expecting to be underwhelmed by Singapore and I was completely surprised by it. Great city, lots to see and do, too bad about the climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramercy View Post
Glad to see Plovdiv on the list. It's a great city.
Okay, are you being ironic? I've never even heard of this place and it gets on a list with Vienna and Toronto? Looks like a big joke of a list, actually. But I see that Plovdiv does look pretty interesting.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:08 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
you talk as if SF is particularly interesting...
I haven't visited per se, just driven through but I liked what I saw. And everyone, literally every single person I know that has gone to San Francisco loved it. To the point that they would live there if the cost of living wasn't so high. You don't seem to enjoy any city that is mentioned on this forum. I don't know how you can be bored in so many places, I can find something to do anywhere.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:10 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I haven't visited per se, just driven through but I liked what I saw. And everyone, literally every single person I know that has gone to San Francisco loved it. To the point that they would live there if the cost of living wasn't so high. You don't seem to enjoy any city that is mentioned on this forum. I don't know how you can be bored in so many places, I can find something to do anywhere.
not true. I kept raving about Istanbul (not to mention Paris). Kyoto was amazing too.
San Fran, been 4 times, never impressed. Hardly comparable with what NYC offers but people keep putting them side by side as if they were.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:33 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
not true. I kept raving about Istanbul (not to mention Paris). Kyoto was amazing too.
San Fran, been 4 times, never impressed. Hardly comparable with what NYC offers but people keep putting them side by side as if they were.

It's much more enjoyable than NYC. I was in NYC all weekend again; this time for the Halloween parade and a show. There is stuff to do, loads of it, but not the fun city to visit like SF. It doesn't have the vibe SF has.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:47 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Singapore, Washington, D.C., top Lonely Planet's list for 2015 destinations

Top 10 Countries

1. Singapore
Nice,
I'm supposed to go there next year to work on a project

Old 11-03-2014, 12:13 PM

520 posts, read 601,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
I was expecting to be underwhelmed by Singapore and I was completely surprised by it. Great city, lots to see and do, too bad about the climate.

Okay, are you being ironic? I've never even heard of this place and it gets on a list with Vienna and Toronto? Looks like a big joke of a list, actually. But I see that Plovdiv does look pretty interesting.
No, I'm not. I don't know how they come up with these lists as I think it's a bit odd myself for Plovdiv to be plucked from obscurity and added onto this list. It's a great city to visit, but not as a primary destination spot. I certainly wouldn't get all excited and take an overseas flight specifically to visit the place. I'd give it maximum, two days. Plovdiv is very scruffy, and has no real tourism infrastructure, but it has a great old town, some great architecture, and a fair amount of Roman ruins, the largest is an entire theater that was unearthed during a landslide. In the summer there's a lot of focus on Bulgaria's wine industry.

It's best as an additional city to visit on a trip to Bulgaria. I used it as a stopover on my way back to Sofia from Turkey.

I'm in Singapore later this month, and like you, I keep hearing how underwhelming it is. I hope I'm surprised by it as well.

Last edited by Gramercy; 11-03-2014 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: I'm all about the Oxford comma!

Old 11-03-2014, 12:24 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's much more enjoyable than NYC. I was in NYC all weekend again; this time for the Halloween parade and a show. There is stuff to do, loads of it, but not the fun city to visit like SF. It doesn't have the vibe SF has.
well, I am happy that San Fran makes you happy as a tourist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel