Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2014, 08:20 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times

Advertisements

If you've been to India, Nepal, Bangladesh, kind of Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Bhutan...

what were your favourite places or experiences? I think South Asia is my favourite region of the world to travel based on my short experience in India, and putting research in to Nepal and Sri Lanka.

For me, Varanasi was pretty cool and unique. I can see myself really enjoying the Himalayan region, but I couldn't get far enough in to the foot hills to see the massifs. The public busses up there are scary and so I ended up stranded around Almora about 100km deep. I loved this little temple on a hill called Kasar Devi, though. Lots of monkeys hanging out in the pine trees and great views of the valley and activity below.

The human clutter is an oddly attractive quality to me. So much stuff happening everywhere.

Hopefully this spring I'll be on my way to Nepal to do some trekking. I would love to tie that in to a trip to Kolkata as well, if the money permits...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 11:33 PM

919 posts, read 848,355 times
I haven't travelled a lot in India, but Kerala is worth checking out. May be too hot for your taste though... well-developed, very calm and nice people, greenery everywhere. Visit Munnar, tea gardens, spice gardens.
Goa for the party types. More white people than Indians
Human clutter? Visit South Mumbai. If you are from a sparsely populated country like Australia where 25 people is a crowd, you will go positively nuts when you see a million people all at once in a railway station. It's not the Million Man March, it's just Tuesday.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:06 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Oh my gosh, this one is so easy.

A combination of or any combination of Bangalore, Pune, Banaras, Jamshedpur, Kathmandu, Goa, and only the best parts of coastal Mumbai and that is it!

Oh and the Maldives if you count that as South Asia, I do.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:15 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Most to Least Favorite South Asian Countries:

1.India
2.Nepal / Sri Lanka

4.Bhutan
5.Maldives
6.Bangladesh
7.Pakistan

Old 10-15-2015, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 495 times
My favorite place is Bhutan. I visited Bhutan last year. One of my friend suggested me a good Bhutan tour operator known as Bhutan Mahayana Tours who helped me a lot when I was on a trip to Bhutan. Bhutan is really an unexplored tourist spot and you are in for the most amazing and fascinating tour of your life. I hope it may help you.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:25 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,499 times
The Maldives, but it's also the outlier on your list as it's very different from the rest of South Asia. It's a resort destination, not a cultural one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel